feels awesome

• waterfowler99
    Midwest

17 days smoke free after 17yrs{cold turkey}. i have tried many times before but this time it stuck. already feel a difference–plus 3.50 X 7= 24.50 in tackle a week to be honest with you the only thing that i can think of that made me actually quit this time, was a statement i heard on a radio program about quitting smoking. there was a doctor on the show who stated that people always here no-no-no. dont smoke, dont drink, dont drive fast–then he said you know when i walk into a room with a patient in it and i start my questions and they say–i know i shouldn’t smoke, i am gonna quit, i say why? we need the business–if it werent for cigarette smokers-there would be a 1/3 rd less hospitals. and i would have a 1/3rd less rich friends.
    sorry for the ramble, and why that particular couple of sentences made me quit,i have know idea, but it did

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Congrats WF!

Keep it up buddy!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

feels awesome and its awesome to hear that you quit!!!
    Congrats!!!!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

It doesn’t matter what made you decide to quit, only that you are following through and doing it

It is a he!! of a habit to break. Keep it up

jdbruesewitz
    Isle, MN

Congrats.

I need help big time with this problem

1hawghunter
    Grand Rapids, MN

Congratulations.

witte
    West Salem, WI

Congrats. 3.50 x 365 = $1277.50/ yr in tackle. Should be a good year for you.

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

WAY TO GO THAT IS GREAT!!!
    Don’t somke, but have heard how hard it is. STICK WITH IT!!!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Good deal WF 99 I smoked for quite a few years myself and quit. I haven’t had a cigarette since 1997. But, now I need to find a good way to quit chewing. I spend around $7/day, and that is a good day on that

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Congrats! Very Awesome

I wish I could get my Dad to quit…

waterfowler99
    Midwest

thanks for all the replies guys–it makes it a heck of a lot easier —and on a side note, i have spent tens times what i have saved already on tackle

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

that’s awesome! I’ve tried to quit Copenhagen many times and just can’t quite make it… Thanks for the post – motivated me to make another run at it….

gjk1970
    Annandale Mn.

Stick your guns Waterfowler99,
    It is the hardest things I have ever tried to do and have yet been able to kick it. And I have done some challenging things in my life 10 years military. But this smoking thing is HARD to beat and I even have tried Commit louges the patch and the only result I got was 6 months none smoker then back it I was..

Logan
    Big Lake, MN

Congrats and keep it up. When times are tough remember all those people who care about you. Don’t start again. Think positive.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

As a reward to myself I bought a new boat when I quit. I knew I could not afford a boat and smoking both. It became a matter of what was more important to me.

The hard part is the next six months. After that it’s easy!
    Anytime you want a cig sit down and write three good reasons why you should light up. If you are being honest with yourself you won’t even be able to list one.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Three years this month for me. A pack a day + the ones I would bum from Dman. (Hey, I paid a quarter apiece…)
    I chewed too. Skoal fine cut, and Marlboro lights and coffee.
    And to think it only cost me a kidney!
    My body actually told me it was time to quit. And it was. The thought of a smoke or a chew now makes me want to hurl.
    I will have a gar now and then, but not the smokes or chew.
    Good luck to ya!!!

bill brasky
    Rochester, MN

Hey waterfowler your pitcher looks like a guy i put threw a bar wall in roch 1 nite
    cant remember cuz i was to drunk

coppertop
    Central MN

Congrats WF, I myself have set a goal this year, to quit chewing. I was at a tin of Kodiak per day at $7.00. It’s a stupid thing to even start knowing the dangers. Since the new year I’m down to 2 tins per week. Quiting for me has been very hard as you know there are times when these things can taste soooo good, driving, fishing etc. I’m hoping in the next month to quit completely and save my $2000.00 a year. Again congrats and to all trying to quit, never give up trying !!!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Congrats and hang in there fellas. You can do it. I quit after 18 years of smokig 2pks a day. Been a “non smoker” for almost 5 years now.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Way to go Tim!!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

here’s some info that may help those trying to quit…

There are two natural products you can readily obtain from a vitamin/health food store that will significantly reduce your cravings and help stop those ‘triggering cues’ (you know, those things that happen/places you go that make you want to have a smoke or chew…):

Take 900 mg N-Acetyl Cysteine two or three times a day (NIDA is currently sponsoring a clinical trial for cocaine addiction using this treatment – the stuff works!).

Also, get some theanine (its an amino acid found in green tea) and take 100-200 mg two to three times per day.

Both are naturally occuring amino acids that regulate the levels of glutamate in an area of your brain that regulates cravings and seeking behaviour.

I’m just starting on this regimen myself in an attempt to stop a 30-year chewing tobacco habit… If you’re interested, PM me and I’ll see if I can get you the products free-of-charge (the catch is that I’ll want to collect data from you).

waterfowler99
    Midwest

everyone asks me what i used——willpower–and its free

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

Maybe a elect. training collar would work

big_g
    Isle, MN

Congrats waterfowler, I am on 2 months now too. The biggest hurdle is telling yourself you do not smoke. I know what worked for me was, not saying “I am trying” because if you are trying, you have doubt. The first 3 days or so are physical, then it is all up to will power and emotions. Hope this helps someone else quit too !!! It is nice saving about $40 a week… now the wife can really go shopping !!!

big g

Another thing that helped me, if I want, I have a cigar or 2 while sitting in the fishhouse. I can have em and them leave too !!! Right Derek ?!!!!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Yeah, I remember that Tuck. You spent about $2 a day. You where a great customer.

I quite Dec 31st at 11:10 pm. That was my last puff.
    Cold turkey here to.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

everyone asks me what i used——willpower–and its free

Hey… that’s awesome! For some, however, the physical cravings are just too strong but they can make it over the hump with a little help. Patches, lozenges, gum, etc are a ruse – they do absolutely NOTHING to help you quit… The amino acids I talk about above are actually good for you in multiple ways, not just to help with quitting an addiction.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

That IS awesome Tim – I quit cold turkey on March 17th 1995 – for the first 6 months I was cranky when I found myself in stressful situations (like visits from my mother in law). I kept thinking about the money I was saving and the smell of stale smoke and I got through it.

Keep it up!

DonJ
    LeMars,IA

May 14 1998 for me. That’s when my daughter was born.
    20 years of smoking.
    WF it gets easier with time.
    You’ll also notice that stairs seem a lot easier to climb than before.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.