Brett Favre’s Last Stand

• VikeFan

Tonight *may* be Favre’s last game at Lambeau Field, pending the outcome of his annual three-month post-season “will he or won’t he” retirement tease for the media.

I would love nothing more than for my Vikings to ruin his farewell game in Green Bay. Given that the Vikings and Packers are overall evenly-matched teams this year, the Vikings have a shot tonight. (By “evenly-matched”, I mean not very good.)

Childress is starting Tarvaris Jackson for the first time tonight. Long term, that is the right decision for the Vikings. Jackson is the future starter, and there is no use keeping Brad Johnson out there to “manage the game” for the other team through weakly-thrown bad passes.

However great his arm strength and speed, though, I doubt that Jackson is ready to start and win an NFL game, especially in an atmosphere like that in Green Bay tonight. Tarvaris looked good against the Jets in garbage time, but that was working against a prevent defense. When he had to put the ball in a tight spot in the end zone, Jackson was picked off. I expect the Packers to put all kinds of pressure and defensive schemes out there tonight to confuse Jackson, and some of them will do that just that.

If I were a neutral observer, I would pick the Packers to win by capitalizing on several INT’s by the Vikings rookie. Minnesota’s lousy pass defense won’t help matters any. That doesn’t mean I won’t be sitting in a local watering hole cheering for the Vikings to send off Favre for the last time with a home loss, though.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

There’s a 70% chance of rain in GB tonight. If it rains, I suspect the team with the best running game will prevail. However, I’m picking the Vikings as the winner, only because I don’t like the Packer fans I work with.

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

I am a lifelong Packer fan and I highly doubt that Minnesota will win the game in GB tonight although a win by the Pack will hurt them even more when it comes to next season’s draft picks. I honestly believe that the Packers will end up winning their last 2 games and end up at 8-8. They should be able to get by the worthless Vikings tonight and they should win their last game at Chicago as the Bears will end up playing their practice squad (plus Farve has only lost 2 games in Soldier field ever). 8-8 is better than most believed the pack would finish this season but it doesn’t help them much in the draft. If the Vikings lose their last 2 games (and they should) it will help them in next season’s draft.

Eyehunter

big_g
    Isle, MN

OK then. Having said that, do you think we have seen Brad Johnson play his last game ??? Funny with all the hype over Favre and then again, Brad Radke, fans may have seen Brad Johnsons last capades on the field, and not much is said. I guess there is something to be said for leaving on a high note…. I hope the Vike’s can lower the tone of Favres exit tonight, but he has had a hell of a carrer, no matter what.

big g

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

As a Vike’s fan I’ve been waiting for Brett’s last game, for oh, I don’t know…the last ten years!

He’s had a great career and deserves all the accolades, but I’m ready for a return to GB QB’s of old.

2Fishy4U

Barring serious injury Brett Favre will be back next year. McCarthy wants him back, most of the Packer faithful would like to see him return, and this past week he has come awfully close to stating he would return.

His QB Rating has not been good during 4 of the last 5 weeks, but so many dropped passes, six alone in the last game including one in the end zone that should have been an easy TD.

Packers 20 – Vikings 10 on a wet and slippery field. The key will be the Packer Defense which continues to improve.

As for Brad Johnson when the season started I thought he would have a good year. I haven’t seen many Viking games so have no idea why things haven’t been a bit better.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Vikefan, it was nice of you to bring up this two year old post.

big_g
    Isle, MN

2fishy, other than his arm and legs are gone, he is allright… (I mean Brad Johnson)…

big g

eyebuster
    Duluth

Vikes will run the heck out of the ball and they will conect on one long bomb catching the whole NFL off guard since they have only had to pass protect inside of 20 yds the whole year. Longwell field goal to seal the deal at 20-17 Vikes!

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Not sure why everybody thinks this is Brett’s last home game?????? ESPN has reported that Farve wants to play 2 more years. I believe he will. GO PACK!!!!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I seen the interview with him last night. Didn’t sound like he was ready to hang it up… That being said, he only needs like 7 more TD’s to pass up Marino’s TD record. I say he hangs in long enuff to do that, at a minimum.

big g

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Can’t say who is going to win. But Favre will more than likely be back next season. We will be at the game, looks like we are going to get wet.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I hope it doesn’t take 2 years for Bret to throw 7 TD passes!

big_g
    Isle, MN

thats funny !!!

big g

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

If he plays for two more years he should hold almost every record….including most INT. I’ll live with that for having our Iron-MAN……GO PACK!!!!!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I agree. He did not sound like he was ready to hang up the helmet this year. I think he’ll stick it out as long as the Packers will have him.

2Fishy4U

Whatever, no further comment is necessary.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yes there is! “Go Pack Go”

2Fishy4U

Only one question; what happened to the Vikes running game. Three first downs in four quarters doesn’t cut it. As an aside the Packer offense was terrible, but the defense exceeded my expectations.

I am not sure what the heck is going on in Green Bay, but am not unhappy their offensive coordinator has decided to leave for a Boston College.

2Fishy4U

What made you ever think I am a Viking Fan. I haven’t missed a Packer Game since about 1955. That includes listing to the Pack on radio in the seventies from my home in St. Cloud, MN. Fortunately, I could get the game on the River Falls and Eau Claire radio stations from my car.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

It was a stinker, but it goes in the win column, no thanks to Bubba. I say trade him.

kizew
    Dallas, WI

I say give Bubba away – the phrase woefully pathetic comes to mind.

VikeFan

I am still deciding who looked more like Spurgeon Wynn last night–Tarvaris Jackson or Brett Favre.

After Favre’s second INT last night, the Viking fans in the Iowa City bar I was in started chanting “ONE MORE YEAR”!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Quote:

I say give Bubba away – the phrase woefully pathetic comes to mind.

That is the talk up in Green Bay, heck, even at the game it was.

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

Good thinking maybe we can sweep the vikes again next year

jldii

Favre had little if anything to do with the Pack beating the Vikes Thursday. 260+/- yards, 0 TD’s, 2 INT’s, 1 of which was returned for a TD. 4 trips deep into Vikings territory, and only 3 FG’s. If he had maybe led the team to just one TD I might have a different opinion, but….

Jay Jones
    Onalaska Wi

so with a woefully pathetic old quarterback and going against the greatest run defense in history they still managed a season sweep, do you think stats can be misleading?

2Fishy4U

In some respects I tend to agree with you; Brett kept both teams in contention. However, when I watch some of the other NFL games I tend to think the guy is as good or better then most. The most recent NFL star, Tony Romo looked awful against Philly. Atlanta’s QB is mentally falling apart and even Tom Brady has had some bad games this year. Donovan McNab couldn’t win, gets hurt, and in comes Jeff Garcia, a cast off. All of a sudden Philly might be the favorite in the NFC.

All in all the bottom line is I hope Favre returns and am certain most Packer Fans agree.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

If they finish at 7-9 and out of the playoffs the Pack must consider this a good season. Remember this team has 20 rookies on it with three on the O-line most of the season. I like the direction G.B. is heading WAY better than the Purple.
    Sidebar to Zygi: Thanks a million for NOT letting Chili-Dog get on that plane to Green Bay.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.