Lead Core and Planner Boards

• ScottG

I have heard mixed things about using boards with lead core. Does anybody have experience doing this?

I am afraid of ruining the line.

Thanks.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

I’d be interested to hear where you could use this set up to your advantage. Are you just trying to fish more than 4 lines out a boat? I’ve just always had the mindset that in a situation where you’re using leadcore,…planarboards are obsolete. Or vice versa. But Hey I’m open to new things. Can you describe your setup and situation?

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

I’ve tried to use lead on boards and for my situations on the river it is more hassle than it is worth. I prefer to just run deeper diving lures if I am running boards.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I run segmented lead core on boards for open water trolling. General set up is 50 ft mono, 2 colors lead core, then back to mono. The board is clipped on the mono after the 2 colors is out.

Why would you be worried about ruining the line using boards?

-J.

jldii

Jon has it right. Go segmented. There are a lot of waters in the US that guys run segmented leadcore on boards for their walleye fishing. As Jon said, segmented means just that, a segment of leadcore with a leader on it tied onto a mono backing. Depending on the water and the time of year, you might want to run 2 sections of lead, or as many as 8 or 9 sections if you are on the eastern part of Erie in the summer. Many of the touring pro’s have spools set up with various numbers of pre tied segmented set ups. All they do is tie the lead onto their mono backing on their reels and start fishing. The real hassel is switching the different lengths of segments while dialing in your pattern. Once they get it figured out, they will run the same set up on all their boards. The major issue with the use of leadcore and boards is that the clips on the boards just doesn’t hold the leadcore well, it also puts a bend or small loop in the lead core which can kink and break, and the biggest problem is the weight issue of running a board a 100 feet out from the boat with all leadcore between the boat and the board. Not to mention the cost of all that lead and the problem of finding a reel big enough to hold all that leadcore!!

jim-c
    Minot, ND

Jon has it right. If you are going to use planer boards with LC line, segment in a piece of LC line as he described, generally 1-5 colors, depending on the depth you need to achieve. Don’t try and clip your LC line directly to the planer board releases. You will damage the lead inside the line, and if you try and run the board more than a few feet from the boat, the board will likely fall over on it’s face because of the drag of the LC line in the water above the board, and do a death dive that will rival any Dipsy Diver. Trust me, I know this…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.