Totally Disgusted!!

• walleye2eye
    Britt, Iowa

Okay guys, I need your help. I was getting the boat ready for the very fast approaching open water season, when I dove into the storage area and about lost my cookies to find the biggest, baddest, smelliest mouse nest this side of the river. I have never had this problem before with the pesky critters. I have been able to get the odor out of my lifejackets and other small items, but I cannot seem to get it out of my storage compartment. Do any of you guys have any tricks or suggestions to help get rid of this very disgusting odor?

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Moth balls,works every time.
    Wildfan

herb
    6ft under

David, what type of floor covering in the compartment?

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Febreeze and dryer sheets!

yellowjacket
    Byron, MN

Best check your aluminum….father in laws alumicraft was infested a few years back, and mouse urine acts as a corrosive to aluminum….had to reskin his whole boat because of holes eaten in the aluminum from the urine (according to the insurance company, that’s what did it)

jldii

I think Putz has some stuff that will cover up that smell for you.

col._klink
    St Paul

I found the same thing. I allmost puked when I looked to find the smell. But I have fun whacking thme with a stick

walleye2eye
    Britt, Iowa

Quote:

David, what type of floor covering in the compartment?

It is a Tuffy with carpeted insides.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Do any of you guys have any tricks or suggestions to help get rid of this very disgusting odor?

Take a full box of Arm and Hammer baking soda and pour it in there. (Spread it all over the area) Let it sit for a few days. Shop vac it out and toss in a few bounce dryer sheets.

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Be careful with moth balls. When placed in water they give off a poisionous gas.

Lute is much more safe…

I’ve used Arm and Hammer and it works well…hopefully it’s dry in your compartment.

matt_grow
    Albertville MN

To prevent this in the future make sure you leave a few dryer sheets in your compartments all around the boat. Not sure why it works but you’ll never have mouse troubles again.

Art

Follow Chris’s advice. Had it happen in our camper a couple years ago. Thought I was going to have to get rid of it but that soloution took the smell out, never noticed it again nor has anybody else. Good luck.

big_g
    Isle, MN

i ditto matt’s comments. dman told me to do this in my mouse house of a garage. they dont touch the boat, and it smells good !!!

big g

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Note to self:
    Throw a box of Arm & Hammer on Putz on the opener.

Stuff his pockets with dryer sheets.

Lute=Ish

big_g
    Isle, MN

big g

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

I’ve used dryer sheets in my boat and they work. But please don’t put any in my pockets. I come home smelling that good and the BOP will wonder if I went fishing or something else.

There will be lutey up there for your enjoyment, Chris. If perch will bite on it, their walleye cousins should also.

Tribepride
    Mahnomen, Mn

I have you dryer sheets for years and never had any problems. Yesterday I find a mouse nest in one of the storage compartments and its located next to a dryer sheet. I must have some tough mice running around my shed!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.