By law what do I need in my boat for SAFETY ITEMS

• tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

Since upgrading to a 25 hp from a 9.9 I was wondering what I need in my boat for safety purpose or requirements by law. Here is what I think so let me know if Im right please.
    1. Fire extinguisher
    2. Floatation cushing
    3. Oar
    4. Whistle or horn

anything else………

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Wearable life preserver for each individual in the boat at the time. They MUST be the correct size for the wearer. Also, running lights for early mornings, fog, and evening fishing. Also, make sure your batteries are strapped down. Some CO’s say they want them in a battery box as well. Also, I believe the gas gan is supposed to be strapped down as well. Other than what you already have posted, I think that is a pretty basic list of safety gear and about all you really need to have

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

do you have to have an oar?

big_g
    Isle, MN

do you need a fire extinguisher, if your running cans, and not an onboard built in tank ?

(always a good idea to have one in my opinion)

I’m thinking Minnesota regs, sorry. I see your in Iowa.

big g

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I would say a working fire extinguisher. Most of the “cheapy” types in boats will last a couple of years and then lose the charge. And I believe in MN only boats greater then 16′ are required to have one.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

In Nebraska I beleive you are required to have a bailing bucket too.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Got to have an oar in iowa in case motor quits to get out of traffic. Flotation device incase someone falls overboard. A life jacket for everyone and it has to be able to fit. A fire extinguisher and a horn of somekind for warning or calling for help. Have to have bow and stern lights if your going to be on the river at night.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

don’t foget the battery terminal covers!!!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Phis is this a new law in iowa about battery terminal covers? Ive got both my batteries in two boxes anyway to keep sparks down.

yoda840
    Western North Carolina

Not Law, but common sense … always, way to call for help … and trip plan with someone on alert to find you if past due; cold weather, change of dry packed warm clothing …. and another in the vehicle.
    Barry
    ps, us fat boys consider food and water a necessity too!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.