MN Fishermen please help ~

• mrsjj1163
    SE Minnesota/SW Michigan

I am trying to locate a beautiful resort with full service amenities. I would choose not to travel with any fishing mechanisms, just my curling iron and suitcase. I want something warm, cozy and clean, nothing old, rustic or dirty. I want breathtaking scenery with boat rentals and possibly, fishing gear rentals (i don’t know if resorts do this). I would love the resort to be supplied with wild animals; deer, moose, bear, etc…I’d like to find the perfect resort to make a memorable vacation for my husband. A nearby golf course would be an added benefit, a mall would be another great amenity. I’m looking for something in northern MN or Sourthern Canada (as I have no map in front of me, the section of Canada that is directly above MN). Both of our families are from Southern MN, we would be flying, but our families would be driving. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Enjoy your day! From, Grand Rapids, Michigan

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome!

Well, you’ve stopped at the right place! I don’t have any suggestions right off the top of my head…but I’m very sure you’ll have a bunch shortly.

I’m going to have to show this post to my Favorite wife…maybe she will get the hint!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

It would also be good to know what you want to spend?

Totem Lodges on LOTW is very nice (5 star lodge) with gourmet chefs, guides, close to Kenora for shopping (they will take you there). 2 people for 1 week will cost about $3500.

I’ve heard of great catering at Tetu Island Resort also, up on the English river. Guide trips every day, don’t bring any fishing gear, top notch place that is very nice, again with gourmet chefs…..This place too, is about $3500 for 2 people for 1 week.

TGM
    Lakeville,MN.

We stayed at Gunflint Lodge years ago,very nice .Close enough to Grand Marais for your shopping.Look them up on line,might be what your looking for. Other wise we stayed at Ross`s Teal lake Lodge in Hayward Wis.,also very nice .

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

What a great gift!
    Here is a link that I have used in the past for a list of
    Private Cabin Rentals on Lake Vermilion. This is a gorgeous lake in Northern Mn that has it all. Beautiful scenery, great fishing, golf & gambling nearby. Many of these private cabins for rent are located within an easy drive to a nearby resort that offer up boat rentals and maybe fishing gear as well. Contact the owners of these cabins for a detailed list of nearby rental options.

This is one of the prettiest lakes in Northern Mn with plenty of wildlife right out your window!
    If you are looking for specifics on the ones that I have rented, PM me and I would be happy to share some of my previous experiences here.

Have fun!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

I would love the resort to be supplied with wild animals; deer, moose, bear, etc…

jbongers
    South St. Paul, MN

I know my sister and her husband go up to the Grand Ely Lodge and they love it up there. might want to check it out. http://www.grandelylodge.com

col._klink
    St Paul

Quote:

Quote:

I would love the resort to be supplied with wild animals; deer, moose, bear, etc…

WILD ANIMALS!!

SORRY I could not help myself!

Take him to Island View Lodge on Rainy Lake
    http://www.rainy-lake.com/

I have stayed here many times and I love it!!

GEMEYEGUY

OK, let me preface this with a disclaimer
    This may sound harsh,but rest assured that’s not my intent. I’m just trying to be up-front and honest here.

Decide which you want
    fishing in the up-north atmosphere with bountiful wildlife
    or
    malls and golf courses

The kind of development that comes with malls and golf courses tends to diminish the amount of wildlife that you’ll see.

My guess is you got plenty of malls and golf around G.R. MI. This is your vacation; get away from the hustle and bustle that surrounds malls and golf courses. Enjoy the serenity of the up-north resorts. You can still have nice accomodations; there’s many places that wouldn’t be considered “roughing it”. But what else will be available within a less-than-hours-drive may be limited.

If you decide to go with the up-north option, may I suggest Arnesens on Lake of The Woods? The cabins are actually very modern “lake homes”. The food in their lodge is awsome. Fishing is great. Outdoor setting is georgous. Guided and charter fishing packages are available; you wouldn’t have to bring any of your own gear.

You’d be 20 miles from Warroad and 35 miles from Baudette. Both would have limited shopping opportunites, but not a “mall”. My wife says the Ben Franklin in Baudette is the most amazing Ben Franklin she’s ever seeen!

Big City shopping is 140 miles to Bemidji, MN or 160 miles to Grand Forks ND. The Cabelas in Grand Forks is worth seeing for the statue out front alone!

PS my signature has nothing to do with this topic; it’s an inside joke about not having an extension for an ice auger.

kpj5br

Gem Eye, well said.

My two recommendations for the absolute most beatiful scenery, full service resorts with boats and fishing guides (and even seaplane rides and lots of other cool stuff), deer swimming in the lake right in front of you, bald eagles everywhere, etc.: Lake Vermilion or Rainy Lake.

Both of the lakes have multiple upscale resorts that will cater to your every need.

If you want a great, mid-tier resort, that has great service but won’t break the bank, you can try my personal favorite (I stay there every year): Head O Lake resort at http://www.headolakeresort.com

GEMEYEGUY

Rainy Lake Houseboats is a pretty cool experience too.
    You can get one that’s a double decker with a jacuzzi and a water slide from the top deck into the lake. This is a great way to get away for a couple days and nights and enjoy the wildlife and scenery.
    You could stay another couple days and nights at the resort and get in some guided fishing trips.

GEMEYEGUY

Mrs JJ
    Please keep up posted on what you’re considering. Inquiring minds want to know (especially now that we’ve invested some time and thought into some suggestions).

Plus; If you update us on a few options that you’re considering, I’m sure someone would come forth with some specific info on them.

Most of all. Have fun, Relax, Appreciate your surroundings, and Enjoy your vacation time.

Happy Trails.
    IBOT # 328

mrsjj1163
    SE Minnesota/SW Michigan

I’ve looked at the resorts that were suggested, but really came back to the idea of a “houseboat” ~ where do you find one…please keep in mind that I want to see bears, mooses, eagles, etc…I’ve never seen a houseboat either. Your description makes it sound quite fun. I’m also looking at the prices of some of these resorts, and have noticed that fishing isn’t very cheap. My parents own a house on Lake Miltona near Alexandria…it might just be worth it to spend our time there.

Please give me some ideas on the houseboat ~ I really am trying to pull something special together that would be enjoyable.

Thanks for you input – happy fishing!

GEMEYEGUY

here’s some places to look at houseboats
    I assume it’s gonna be just you and your hubby?
    So I’ve looked at 2 person sized boats.
    If there’s more people, there are larger boats available (of course for more money).

http://www.rainylakehouseboats.com (Rainy Lake)
    check out the 37′ Honeymooner – 3days/2nights $750

http://www.northernairehouseboats.com (Rainy Lake)
    they have 32′ houseboat for $235 per day

http://www.voyagaire.com/ (Crane Lake)
    they have 36′ houseboat for $235 per day

do google searches for
    Rainy Lake houseboats
    Vermillion houseboats
    Crane Lake houseboats

You’ll get plenty of choices.

The Rainy Lake and Crane Lake houseboats will get you into Voyageurs National Park and should provide the best chance of wildlife viewing opportunities.

mrsjj1163
    SE Minnesota/SW Michigan

Thank you so much for taking the time to list all of them…I’ll have to look at the websites later because I’m getting ready to leave for work. I’ve also been bopping around this website and find it to be very informative, and somewhat interesting to read, actually kind of fun…When we lived in Minnesota, we would often drive to my parents cabin on Lake Miltona almost every weekend. My dream is to catch a muskie, and i’ve come close a couple of times, but have never been able to get it in the boat… From Owatonna it was about a 3.5 hr drive to Miltona, it was just so perfect. My husband was transferred by his employer to Grand Rapids, Michigan, and we’ve looked at buying a cabin here, but the few lakes that we’ve gone to are so packed with cottages, boats, people, that neither of us thought that it even looked enjoyable. We both miss our home state, and I love to come back there with every chance that I get. I’ll be in contact later, and once again, thank you so much! Enjoy your day.

mrsjj1163
    SE Minnesota/SW Michigan

It’s easy to say that this search has become somewhat overwhelming; each site that we look at looks incredible… The houseboat idea is still at the top of our list, but with every website that I go to, I only become more confused. Too many choices, and not enough vacation time or $$$…

GEMEYEGUY

Quote:

Too many choices, and not enough vacation time or $$$…

Hey, sounds like you’re quickly becoming one of us

welcome to the brotherhood/sisterhood of “the great-outdoors addicts”

TBOMN11
    Circle Pines, MN

I work with the Voyagaire Lodge and Houseboats, and Jim and Gretchen are super people. I am sure we can make you vacation the best one you have ever had. Call them, and tell them that “Raf” of the “Rif and Raf Trivia Extravaganza” recommended them to you, and they will roll out the red carpet. I also live on a houseboat on the same waters.
    Voyagaire Houseboats

mrsjj1163
    SE Minnesota/SW Michigan

After posting my initial request and began to search the website, I noticed that there wasn’t much information on Lake Miltona, near Alexandria…Is this a good lake to fish? Any opinions? I’m curious because as we were growing up, Viking Bay Resort, on Lake Miltona was where my parents always went, until finally, my parents bought their own home on Miltona. We haven’t been to the cabin in 5 or 6 years…Appreciate any comments about it?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.