Today we said goodbye to a friend.

• hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Today we lay to rest an old friend, Duane (Didge) Simonson. He was only 51 years old. He was a Father, Grandfather, Brother and Friend. I met Didge back in the late seventies through Bob Carlson on one opening of fishing. He was having a barbecue out front on the lake, one of many we enjoyed through the years. Didge lived on the east shore of Mille Lacs at this time, raising a family in the house he was raised in. Those were the rebellious years, which most of us should never have survived according to some. We were all wild and adventuresome, we had the world by the tail.
    He was a simple man who lived off the land. I throughout the years often envied his lifestyle, not for the money but the freedom it allowed, you see, Didge for most of his life was a logger. A true to God lumberjack! Now he would probably of never considered himself that, I think he always thought of himself as a guy just doing whatever it took to earn a paycheck and live to get by another day.
    Over the years he did many things to earn a living, he even worked with Bob, Kath and I for a while, but sooner or later he always ended up back in the woods felling trees, and over the winter would work in the mill sawing boards and cutting railroad ties. He would always spend some time each fall wandering the woodlots they owned, surveying the oaks, maples and basswood stands for where he would be cutting as soon as the ground froze. I know he was actually doing his scouting for deer season, but he had that freedom, to roam the woods any days he wanted. He was pretty much a one-man operation turning out 25,000-30,000 board feet of lumber each winter and spring. He would cut in the mill until the logs would run out by late spring and then find something else to do for the summer. In the last few years he retired from logging and took a job closer to home in Aitkin.
    We fished opener together for quite a few years too, how he loved to fish. We would give him so much crap about his Zebco 33 with maybe 75 ft. of line on it. I can’t tell you how many times we pulled anchor to chase a fish that had run all the line off the reel, after a couple years of that he finally changed line, it was just the way he was. He finally did buy a new rod and reel too! I know for him, being there was more important than the fishing itself.
    Bob and Kath stopped over Saturday night with a scrapbook full of pictures with many of Didge and his kids. The camaraderie we shared, and the memories we have, we’ve spent the last few days reflecting back on the stories and pictures. Man, were we young! We partied hard and lived fast then. That was back when you didn’t trust anyone over 30 or in a position of authority…………….. Today we are some of those people!
    Didge never had the Internet or a cell phone, he knew what he needed to about them through others, a lot of the time over the years he didn’t even have a phone at home, you always knew you could find him at the sawmill if you needed something or just wanted to talk.
    He was always up on current events and was quite an intelligent soul, just didn’t have much use for what we consider modern convenience’s, or some consider necessities.
    He had a motorcycle and loved riding it. He traveled when and where he wanted to. I always loved listening to his adventures, from Montana to California, Washington and Idaho. He even logged out west for a while.
    We have four-wheelers and toys, well he had a log skidder, trucks and big equipment, the ultimate toy collection!
    We loved the springs and fall every year, spending time over fishing and deer hunting seasons talking smart and reliving our best memories with each other.
    Some others on the site knew him too, a couple dozen I’m sure, and can add on to this post if they want.
    Reflecting back, we will all miss him very, very, much!

haywood04
    Winona, Minnesota

Thanks for sharing and
    Sorry to hear about your loss.
    Will keep you in our prayers

I guess St. Peter needed another fishing partner.
    Imagine the new waters and smile

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Again Hooks, thanks for sharing. I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like a great guy, and someone that will be deeply missed.

emover
    Malcom, IA

Hooks,
    What a great tribute to your friend, and a man it had to be a privilege to have known. I can tell he’ll be missed by all that had the pleasure of calling him friend. Sorry for your loss. Know the memories you have shared will keep him in your heart and ease your pain of his passing to a better place. Thanks for sharing.

dave

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Didge Simonson

Catch a biggun up there!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Hooks, Didge will be missed. I am sorry I couldn’t make it up for the funeral today, but he and his family were in my thoughts. I will always remember Didge as a quiet guy, who didn’t say much, but when he did, you listened. I can remember going over to the sawmill, to settle the harbor landing, and he would be sawing away. He would see me watching, and would just keep sawing until he finished what he was doing. ( I think he knew I liked watching, that thing can really buzz !!! ) He also would keep us in scraps to burn for the opener. Dman would make a phone call, and no matter what, there was always a pile of scraps, right where we needed ’em, by Thursday night. I do know that he had alot of fun fishing with you Hooks. I know he also had his son with him a few times, and that they had good times. The woods is a quiet place, and has just gotten alot quieter with the passing of Didge. He will be missed.

big g

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I am in Chicago, but I have been thinking about you, Bob & Kath today knowing what was going on up there. You will always be able to look at that beautiful oak trim in your house, and feel the warmth of a good friend who is still with you.
    I went out for Japanese food tonight, and my fortune cookie that I just opened said “You will always be surrounded by great friends.”
    I know that to be true.
    Take care, all of you!
    Tuck

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

I thought of some of those times back in the mid 80’s deerhunting when he always stopped and Mundo and I would have a new target to listen to our bs. One of the first years I fished up there on the opener and Didge was fishing in your boat Hooks, he pulled in the biggest walleye of the weekend with that Zebco. We had more fun with that and he would just laugh in his quite way.

Didge and his family have been in my thoughts all day.

We will miss him!

schrumy
    Clearwater MN

Beautifully written tribute, This is the first I’ve heard of Didge’s passing. Mt thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Thanks Hook for posting this!! it’s been a difficult month for us. I hope that the month of February brings us more joy and less sadness

I hope to back fishing on Saturday!!!!!!

gsmith
    Mondamin, Iowa

Hooks:

I did not know your friend “Didge”, but your post indicates that he truly would have been a great friend. My prayers to his family and friends, I am sure that he will be missed.

Gary

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Sorry for your loss guys. Hooks, that’s a nice tribute sir.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face;
    the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
    may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Hooks,
    Very nice rememberance and tribute to your friend Dridge. Sounded like a great guy and life long friend. We all need such a friend.
    thanks, and prayers to you and his friends and family
    Jack..

JAG
    Twin Cities and Mille Lacs Pebble Beach

Duane (Didge) Simonson

For the thirty years I knew him as Didge, but not until yesterday did I learn how he got that nick name. Sitting in church yesterday listening to relatives and friends pay tribute to the man we called Didge was both heart breaking and uplifting. We knew he was never going to be standing around the lakeshore shooting the bull with us any more, and at the same time we realized that he would always be with us.

Lots of people know Mille Lacs as a great fishing hole, Didge was the guy who knew the land surrounding the magnificent lake. He was a Lumberjack, log’s from Butternut, White Ash, Black Ash, Aspen, Basswood and Birch were transformed into the lumber he sold to me from the family sawmill. What he taught me about the woods forever lives in the beautiful tongue n’ groove paneling hanging in my old cabin, workshop and bunkhouse.

Didge was also a miner. He knew where to find, sand for the beach, black dirt for the lawn, and boulders for the shoreline. I can remember a few years back the lake was up and the winds were fierce, within a couple of weeks our shoreline had eroded significantly. Didge happened to stop by one weekend and within hours we were mining for big boulders at the family gravel pit. Didge knew where to find the good ones, he said “we don’t want the ugly gray ones like you see laying in farm fields, we’ll get some colorful ones”.

One thing Didge wasn’t was an electrician. He was remodeling his kitchen and needed some help with the wiring. It was an old house with a breaker box in an odd location, high in a wall of a stairwell, we set up a plank spanning a ladder and the steps. We were trying to figure out were all the wires in the overstuffed box were leading to. We were standing side-by-side on the plank when Didge grabbed a ‘hot one’, he looked at me with his eyes lit up like a couple of light bulbs, he started dancing on that plank and I thought for sure we were both going down.

Didge and I spent time together last fall after he got a new trail bike, finally I had someone to ride the back roads around Mille Lacs with. We rode about 80 miles one afternoon, through some beautiful pine forests north of Mille Lacs that I never knew existed. That was the last time I spoke to Didge.

As I said at the beginning, I didn’t learn until yesterday where Didge got his nick name. His brother Dana said it came from a highschool football coach. I didn’t follow the whole story, but the coach was asking Duane if he had done something. The coach kept asking him, “did ya do it, huh, didge ya do it, didge ya?

Yes Didge did it. He made a lasting impression on myself, Hooks, Bobbers, and many other friends from the early days around the East side of Mille Lacs.

Didge, you’re number one. Keep that number in your pocket, someday we’ll all be together again and you can light up our lives just like old times.

JAG

HooksWife
    Crystal, MN

Thanks for the story Jim Didge will be missed, that is for sure.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

That was relly cool! Thanks Jim!

putz
    Cottage Grove, Minn

Great comments. Must have been a heckuva guy. Hope to hear more stories around the next campfire.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.