Feedback on Suzuki 4-Stroke 60hp Motor

• BrentAnderson

Hey Guys and Gals! Pretty new to this forum but I have a question for you all. How do the Suzuki outboards compare to the others. I had my heart set on a new Alumacraft with a 60hp Yamaha but nobody has them and they can’t get them for a while. I have no clue about the Suzuki’s but the salesman I just talked to has me thinking that that is the way to go. Thought I would open it up for discussion with some other fisherpeople/boaters on this board. Thanks in advance for your replies! Have a great week!!

big water
    Andover ,MN

i’ve got the 140 it is the best motor i have ever owend changing oil is easy very quite awsome motor
    my brother inlaw has a honda he said the next moror he buys will be a suzuki

WeFish
    Fort Atkinson, WI USA

Hello,
    I have a 60hp 4 stroke Suzuki on a Lund Pro Angler its quiet, great on gas, and easy to service plus a six year warranty to boot. Some people say I should have taken the money thats how good they are.

2Fishy4U

My 24 year son bought one this year and it runs great. Nonetheless, if you are buying an new motor let me suggest the Evenrude E-TEC.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

A very big ditto on the E-TEC, and the Suzuki is a great motor as well. You may want to look to see if there is any price difference on the Johnson vs. Suzuki. Same motor, and you can get service at any Johnson/Evinrude dealer!
    Tuck

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Johnson vs. Suzuki. Same motor, and you can get service at any Johnson/Evinrude dealer!
    Tuck

What Year motor?
    Depending on what year the Suzuki is if you need any computor work you will need an actual Suzuki Tech to fix it.
    And he is real busy these days. My friend waited 3 weeks to have his fixed.

I would wait for the Yamaha or if you want to spend more money get the E-tec.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have been running a Johnson (Suzuki) 70hp tiller for the last 3 years. It is the same as the 60hp, except the 70 is made to run at a little higher RPM. It is a bit heavier than the others – but I don’t know if that is bad, as it appears to have a very strong lower unit, which would help if you hit anything in the water and 4 cylinders instead of 3.

Suzuki was one of the first manufactures to incorporate many of the high tech 4-stroke features on this size engine and has been making this motor since the mid 90s. Some of the other manufactures are just starting to add EFI into their mid size engines and put on decent tiller handles.

This engine is very quite, does not vibrate at any rpm because of the 4 cylinders, a larger displacement to get you up on plane quickly, and the tiller handle is a pleasure to use. For maintenance, I have replaced the spark plugs after two years — they were $1.75 each at Fleet Farm. I also change oil twice a year with just regular automotive oil and replace the oil filter once a year. The alternator puts out a lot of juice and almost always keeps the battery at full charge (I also use the starting battery as one of my 3 electric trolling motor batteries).

I don’t think you can go wrong with this engine, although some of the other manufactures are now starting to also produce very good engines in this size. If you have a console boat it does not make much difference as to which motor you get, but for a tiller you are right next to the motor all the time and some features become very important.

Dave Gulczinski

etecangler1

Quote:

I would wait for the Yamaha or if you want to spend more money get the E-tec.

If you buy a Yamaha 4-stroke EFI you will spend more money than on the same hp E-TEC.

2Fishy4U

Are you sure about pricing. I have no info regarding Yamaha prices, but the E-TEC was a bit less then I expected.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.