Do we have any wardens lurking?

• fishahollik
    South Range, WI

I had a question for one who has jurisdiction on the mississippi river. If I take my kids fishing, are they entitled to a limit of fish (fish they catch themselves) even though they are not yet 16 and do not require a license?

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

Wisconsin regulations state that you must count your underage unlicensed childrens fish as part of your limit.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Ack I stand corrected I didn’t realize you were in WI, I don’t have a clue then…

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Quote:

Wisconsin regulations state that you must count your underage unlicensed childrens fish as part of your limit.

Can you tell me what page or chapter/verse this is stated? I have looked all thru the reg’s. to no avail.

The reason I ask is this. If there are any wardens out there I would appreciate a straight answer. It seems to me that too much is up to interpretation. Here is a hypothetical. If my oldest son is visiting me this summer, (I have joitn custoday, ex wife lives out of state)and he is fishing from shore while I am at work, any fish he catches go against my daily limit? Or do I have to be with him for him to be able to fish? If I did not have a license would he then be required to throw back any fish he caught?

jason26
    Cedar Falls, IA

I wrote the Wisconsin DNR when i was younger to get the answer to this and i was told in the reply I could have a limit. And was told this also by a officer on the chatek chain in wisconsin. I definately wouldnt take my word on this as it was quite a few years since i havent had my own license. I would contact the DNR by phone or email for an answer. Let us know what u find out.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

E-mail Sent to WIDNR. I will await a reply..then make a call if its not a straight answer.

walleyehunter6
    Freeport, IL

Does my child need a fishing license?

Wisconsin residents and non-residents 16 years old or older need fishing license to fish in any waters of the state. Children under 16 years of age do not need a fishing license. Children have their own bag limits and are expected to follow the same fishing regulations (e.g., length, bag and season limits) that licensed anglers are required to follow.

Children do not need to be accompanied by a licensed adult to fish. However, if your child wants to take a break from fishing, make sure he or she reels in rather than abandons the pole to you. If your help is needed to cast or reel in, make sure you have your license with you, because you are now fishing. Also, on occasion, well-meaning adults get pinched — warden lingo for caught — for fishing without a license or with too many hooks when they get caught “holding” their youngster’s fishing pole. According to state law, no angler may fish with more than three hooks, baits or lures.
    Found this on http://www.fishingwisconsin.org

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.