Panther Auxillary Steering System

• BShimp
    Hudson, WI

Does anyone have experience with this…The Panther Remote Aux Steering System
    Panther Marine Products

I’m thinking of putting it on my boat and wanted to hear some feed back from users and/or someone that has seen it in action. If it works the way it is supposed to I think it would worth installing.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I have it on my Lund and really like it for hand linging and trolling crankbaits. I can steer my kicker from anywhere in the boat. The person I bought mine from is a guy called Hutch and his e-mail address is [email protected]

He can set you up with a unit delivered to your door.

Thanks, Bill

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Deezee is running this unit, with some slight mods. He’s a rocket scientist(literally) and has tricked out his Panther. Check with him for an opinion.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

The only thing that concerns me is speed of the boat. Do you still need to increase it manualy or is that remote too? if its not remote then I dont see the point. Wanting to change speeds is important so if its hooked to your main motar already then why the remote? Steer it from the console. Change speed at the console and you dont have to move. Am I missing some thing????

eyegetter

The other question is dose it work on older motor? it look like the reel deal. But how would you a just your speeds? Thanks

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

You can adjust your speed with the remote. You can also kick your motor to idle when fighting a fish and return to the previous speed with the flick of a switch. It is pretty cool.
    My only complaint is that you can only turn at a set speed which is pretty slow. If you need to turn quickly for any reason you have to bypass the remote.
    My two cents.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I run mine attached to the kicker motor. Speeds do need to be done with the tiller handle as the steering is all it does for you. You have to remember we are talking a unit that cost approx 300.00 and not a 1500.00 Tr1 unit that does both. I find the speed I want on my kicker and then steer it by the steering assist control. For what I use it for it works great. Do I use it for everything that I run my kicker for, no. Its another option that is nice to have. Not a necessity, but an option. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Bill

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Definatly a nice unit, but as Bill said it does not adjust speed, thus it is $300 or so. The first year the button used to turn was not water tight and I know of 3 that coroded and quite working. All were fixed promptly and I’ve heard of no issues on any other units.

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

I want the remote steering not for speed control but for ease of operation. Here’s the problem – The kicker is a T8 remote (no tiller) and I control it at the console. The T8 is tied to the main engine with a metal tie-rod. If I have the main engine trimmed up for running in shallow water such as around boat docks, and the kicker trimmed all the way up the steering locks up when I turn all the way left. I have bent two tie rods and loss steering control (at idle speed) and unfortunately found the only metal plate at the dock. The 1500.00 repair bill to patch a hole in my gunwale still stings.(FYI – Look out for the tips of the docks at St. Croix Bluffs, there is a sharp plate at each corner and they will scratch and puncture!) The tie rods have quick disconnects so now I just remove it if I am not going to use the kicker. But that is inconvenient.

The Panter remote would steer the kicker independently of the main engine and eliminate the tie rod connection. I’d still control speed at the helm.

Thanks for everyone’s input!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

BShimp,

I have quite a few years on the Panther Steering for my kicker motors. For open water trolling it makes your life so much easier. Being able to turn into or away from the wind while you land a fish is a handy tool to have. For tight contour trolling at higher speeds….it is not the quickest in turning. It works for 95% of my trolling applications and I am glad I have it. Will I use it on my next boat? Absolutely!

As for throttle control on your kicker motor.
    Take a look at the;

Trollmaster Throttle control for Kicker motors

This is another very handy tool for a troller. Because I have had my share on short circuits with the trollmaster, some fellow anglers and I have decided to evelop a brand new product…..Can’t spill the beans yeat, but all I know is that I cannot wait to prototype it!!

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I fished with bruce samson out in devils lake two years ago in the rcl and he had the tr-1 on his boat. I will say river or lake you set it and leave it, just fish. I thought it was awsome, if I could justify the money I would have it.

BShimp
    Hudson, WI

Thanks for the input Steve. I’m leaning towards the Panther unit but just blew the money I had for it at Gander Mountain in Duluth. They are expanding into a new building and had lots of goodies on clearance/moving sale – 20% off rods and reels, 30% off tackle, etc. Great time to pick up a few new St. Croix rods!

Should I buy the Trollmaster or wait for yours to hit the market? I’ll wait – I need the remote steering more than the throttle control.

Are you on pool 2 tomorrow (Thursday)? I’ll be there in a black 1800 Fisherman.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.