Rippn’ Rap Suprise

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

This spring, Ive been fishing the Rippn’ Rap quite a bit, and Ive got to say Im liking it! Im still more confident in a blade bait most of the time, but I think that could change as I learn how to fish it better. The episodes that James put out this year focussing on that have definitely helped a lot in the learning process!

Anyways…. Ive been catching lots of fish on these things this year. Walleyes, pike, bass, even a couple panfish, but I never expected what bit my line last weekend up north while fishing a rippn rap.

We were set up on one of my favorite little rock/ weed humps an hour before sunset with a couple slip bobbers out hoping to catch an eater walleye or two for a fresh fish fry. A little time had passed and we had only caught a few rock bass, so I decided to toss the rippn rap a few times before darkness hit. First cast, I caught a decent smallie. Couple casts later a caught a gigantic sucker 24″+ in the mouth! But that wasnt the big suprise. Next cast after the sucker, I had just ripped the bait off the bottom after the initial drop and felt that feeling we all love. A big, authoritative “THUNK” I set the hook and just looked at my buddy as my drag slipped and the fish didnt budge… “BIG WALLEYE” I said, “get the net” The fish came slowly towards the boat, just hugging bottom and big headshakes. I got the fish right under me, and a stalemate ensued. At this point, I realized, this is too heavy to be a walleye, so I started to put a little more pressure on the fish. Got it up a couple feet below the surface and saw it. Nice musky! After my initial excitement, I realized, weve got an “eater” net and this is going to get tricky…. Brought the fish boatside and my buddy went for the scoop. That went predictibly awful and I watched with horror as the musky flipped out of the net while the rap stayed in! Somehow, while flipping out of the net, the fish got wrapped in the line, so when it landed back in the water, it just sat there for a second. Not knowing what to do, I threw my rod down and just tailed it like a steelhead. The fish went nuts, but I held on for dear life and a second later got another hand under her and lifted into the boat!
    High fives were exchanged and somehow the fish unwrapped itself while i had it tailed and with no hooks to remove, we snapped a quick pic and sent her on the way.

Sorry, for the long fish story, but it was one of the coolest things Ive ever had happen to me on the water, so just wanted to share. Also shows how versatile the rippn’ rap is on all sorts of waters. Hope you all had as good of a memorial day weekend as I did!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Do you fish it like a jig somewhat? Letting it sink then pumping it back to keep near the bottom? Guess I’ll have to get some….

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

That’s a wall hanging photo!

shockers
    Rochester

What a great story!!! Well done. I bet that was exciting. I gotta try more Rippin I guess. I went through a phase last year with Blade Baits cuz I dutifully watched the James IDO segments and figured, hey, I could do that. Sadly, unless you count a snagged Shad, I have yet to master it.

Anyway…great catch!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Wow…

I have a hard time netting a muskie that popped the hooks, much less grabbing one by the tail! That’s the coolest thing I have heard today, impressive.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

That’s awesome but you’re leaving out one vital piece of info…..how long was she??
    Well done!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Pretty cool stuff can happen to a guy if he spends enough time on the water. Your story is a prime example of that.
    Congrats on a great catch!

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Quote:

Do you fish it like a jig somewhat? Letting it sink then pumping it back to keep near the bottom? Guess I’ll have to get some….

Yep Suzuki, thats how I fish it most of the time, although Ive found you can also just burn em in when real shallow or cast out let sink, and slowly retrieve back when a little deeper and get bit. I think the best retrieve is that kind of “yo-yo” motion you are talking about. Most important things are to give a good hard rip off the bottom, keep your line tight, and your rod tip up on the fall.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Quote:

That’s awesome but you’re leaving out one vital piece of info…..how long was she??
    Well done!

Sorry Bellatine, can’t give you an accurate measurement as we only had a walleye bump board in the boat for measuring and the fish was way longer than that. My honest best guess would be around 43″. Not a monster but a really nice healthy mid to low forties fish.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Well done!

Sorry Bellatine, can’t give you an accurate measurement as we only had a walleye bump board in the boat for measuring and the fish was way longer than that. My honest best guess would be around 43″. Not a monster but a really nice healthy mid to low forties fish.

That what I thought as well, that’s an awesome fish! Like Joel said, you spend enough time on the water and crazy stuff happens. You must be quick like a ninja

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Quote:

Pretty cool stuff can happen to a guy if he spends enough time on the water. Your story is a prime example of that.
    Congrats on a great catch!

Hey! Thanks Joel, I appreciate that. Looks like you’ve been putting the hurt on some great fish all spring I gotta make it up your way sometime…. BTW Salmon are in full swing now if you get a day off and are looking to change it up……………

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Is that a tiger??
    A beaut of a fish

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Quote:

Yep Suzuki, thats how I fish it most of the time, although Ive found you can also just burn em in when real shallow or cast out let sink, and slowly retrieve back when a little deeper and get bit. I think the best retrieve is that kind of “yo-yo” motion you are talking about. Most important things are to give a good hard rip off the bottom, keep your line tight, and your rod tip up on the fall.

That’s the best part of having lipless cranks. So many people have had it stuck in their head that they are “bass” baits for cast/retrieve. NO TRUE! they are the most versatile hard bait on the market and it was great to see Rapala make the changes they did from the older rattle rap.
    Very much like fishing blade baits, they can be cast, ripped, pitched, & fished vertically.

Congrats on your ski! If you put enough time summer walleye fishing on deep rock humps, I’m sure this won’t be your last.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Quote:

Is that a tiger??
    A beaut of a fish

Im no musky expert so I can’t really say, but I was wondering the same thing. Maybe somebody who knows more about these fish could chime in on how to tell?

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That’s the best part of having lipless cranks. So many people have had it stuck in their head that they are “bass” baits for cast/retrieve. NO TRUE! they are the most versatile hard bait on the market and it was great to see Rapala make the changes they did from the older rattle rap.
    Very much like fishing blade baits, they can be cast, ripped, pitched, & fished vertically.

Congrats on your ski! If you put enough time summer walleye fishing on deep rock humps, I’m sure this won’t be your last.

Thanks Randy! I dont really ever fish for muskies, so its always very exciting to me when one makes an appearance. Also, totally agree on the lipless comments. Lipless baits of all types are some of my favorite lures to throw all year long for all types of fish. Just one of those go-to baits for me as well.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I catch a lot of incidental skis while crankn for eyes. I’m not a musky guy by any means. I just know to toss for them in the vicinity of ambush points where the walleyes are. I’m always amazed at how many pike/musky eat a 2-1/2″ gizzard shad

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.