IDO TV Opener Show

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

We finally, or unfortunately depending on what side of the TV you are on, have finished filming our 26th and last episode for the season! It was quite a roller coaster ride, and finishing up filming the last episode didn’t disappoint!

Monday morning broke over Leech Lake with a vengeance. Pouring rain trounced our goal of getting on a quick monday morning filming session. We opted instead to wait out the rain and try to fish late morning…No dice! It continued to pour, as we arrived to the lake and decided to use the day for pre-fishing, as Tuesday’s weather was looking more promising.

The bite was pretty consistent on Monday. We fished the Hardwoods area, finding the majority of the fish in the 12ft. range. Larger fish definitely showed a preference for a #6 Firetiger Rippin’ Rap, while a jig and a shiner or rainbow seemed to yield slightly smaller fish. The water temp out on the main lake was around 48 degrees with Walker Bay being around 43-44 degrees.

Feeling pretty confident going into Tuesday, we awoke to a stiff, driving NW wind, and upper 30 degree air temps. Leech proved to be a cruel cruel mistress! Wind pummeled us, as the water temps dropped 4 or 5 degrees overnight. It was too much as we tried to fish main lake points.

The true tale was the average size of the fish. Monday we were boating mid to low 20 in fish as an average while tuesday the biggest fish boated maybe hit 20 inches. Things were looking quite bleak as it would be our last day to film for Sunday’s show.

We made a quick decision to fish a small lake in the area in hopes of escaping from the wind. Ding ding ding! It did the trick as we were soon into fish, and nice ones at that!

We spent the rest of the day grinding out some really nice walleyes. Steep breaks with inside turns which corralled the wind was the ticket. Working a jig and Shiner or a #6 Yellow Perch Rippin’ Rap would out produce other presentations. Again larger fish highly favored Rippin’ Raps. Consistent bouts of rain and sleet pretty much summed up our season, as we finished our final episode for season 8.

Also, did I mention how hard those Walleyes pounded the Rippin’ Raps! Wow…Wow…Wow. That’s fun!

I just want to thank everybody who follows along, watching the shows and giving us feedback. It sounds cliche, but on a lot of the down right sh**ty days, it was all of you waiting for a show on sunday that helped us keep pushing!

Hope everybody had a great opener!

Ben

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Very good and detail report Ben!

It’s interesting to hear the “how it happened” part.

Hey? Btw…who’s the guy you were fishing with? The middle pic??

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks guys! I especially loved the bass episode.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

It was a season to remember! Great job on huge task of pulling off 26 fresh episodes.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sounds like James and Co has some yardwork to catch up on.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

It was a season to remember! Great job on huge task of pulling off 26 fresh episodes.

Ditto to what Cal just said… Getting a fresh show each week for 6 months on a good year is crazy, but to do it under the most brutal and continually changing conditions I can remember is a Gia-nominal task. Congrats to Ben, Ben, James, & Pat for all the hard work to to make it happen

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Ditto to what Cal just said… Getting a fresh show each week for 6 months on a good year is crazy, but to do it under the most brutal and continually changing conditions I can remember is a Gia-nominal task. Congrats to Ben, Ben, James, & Pat for all the hard work to to make it happen

In what has to be a perfect symbol of how the weather treated us these past 6 months… we closed our final show as a dark cloud overhead opened up and let the hail stones fly.

It was a 6 month journey I’ll never forget. Now we start the process of gearing up to start it all over again next November.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Considering I get a chance to see Gillespie trying to pull off the same things you guys 6-8 times a year at Fibbers, I can appreciate the weekly test to do so. He was up Mon. and Tues., fished with my boss and another guide on consecutive days, then home to edit and process… Assuming they did ok as the fishing has been lights out since the ice off… almost every where up here!!!

Mark

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for all the hard work. It was very interesting watching this season. I learned a lot and look forward to trying some more of the methods you guys have detailed.

I tried some rippin raps after the Green Bay show on a local lake and caught my new personal best walleye.

Great job!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I tried some rippin raps after the Green Bay show on a local lake and caught my new personal best walleye.

Great job!

That’s awesome to hear. How big?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

In what has to be a perfect symbol of how the weather treated us these past 6 months… we closed our final show as a dark cloud overhead opened up and let the hail stones fly.

It was a 6 month journey I’ll never forget. Now we start the process of gearing up to start it all over again next November.

I love the shows you did this year. Like the up to date format. Many weeks
    I thought–wow these guys have “mother nature” really sticking it to them.
    A+ on effort .. Best fishing show on any network bar none!

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Great job!

That’s awesome to hear. How big?

Not as big as the ones you guys every week, but a 25.5″ 5.9# one. Pretty good for a smaller local lake. The previous biggest on that lake was a 22″. Pretty cool. We took a couple pictures and sent it back swimming.

We are heading to Lake of the Woods in the morning and are going to stop at Red Lake on the way. I am hoping to catch a new PB up there on a rippin rap too.

I think you guys do a great job on the shows and I tell anyone I talk to about fishing about them.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Great shows as always. With the rough winter we had in the mid west you sure earned your pay keeping on the bite.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Quote:

Btw…who’s the guy you were fishing with? The middle pic??

I think the middle picture of James can be titled “Rippin’ Rap’s Biggest Groupie”

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Not as big as the ones you guys every week, but a 25.5″ 5.9# one. Pretty good for a smaller local lake. The previous biggest on that lake was a 22″. Pretty cool. We took a couple pictures and sent it back swimming.

That’s a darn nice fish that I’d take any day. Congrats on bumping up your PB.

Quote:

We are heading to Lake of the Woods in the morning and are going to stop at Red Lake on the way. I am hoping to catch a new PB up there on a rippin rap too.

The Rainy / 4 Mile Bay is kicking out big eyes like crazy right now. My guess is you’ll be coming home with a substantially larger PB. Best of luck up there. Let us know how things go for you once you get back.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Thanks for another great season! James, you were in pretty rough shape for a stretch as well. It really is a grueling ordeal the more I think about it!

Well done guys!!

Aquaholic
    WI

Great Season Guys!

Thanks for all your hard work. Always look forward to watching the show and learning something new.

This year was definitely a challenge for you guys but you hit it out of the park again.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks for another great season! James, you were in pretty rough shape for a stretch as well. It really is a grueling ordeal the more I think about it!

Well done guys!!

I’ve been trying to forget most of January and a good stretch of February. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics to finally shake whatever took of residence in my chest and sinuses.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Quote:

The Rainy / 4 Mile Bay is kicking out big eyes like crazy right now. My guess is you’ll be coming home with a substantially larger PB. Best of luck up there. Let us know how things go for you once you get back.

James, You were right on the money. Lots of big fish up there. I caught a new PB 26″ walleye on a rippin rap on Friday. We even caught a 18″ small mouth on a rippin rap. Caught another new PB 28″ walleye Saturday. Overall a good trip. Quite a few slot fish and not a lot of keepers, but it is hard to complain about catching walleye over 20″. Lots of boats. The breeze blowing off the ice pack was darn cold in the mornings. The ice is breaking up quickly. I would say it will be off in the next couple days. I heard reports ranging from bad to really good.

I look forward to catching more fish on the rippin raps. We are planning on heading to South Dakota next weekend.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.