What’s your plan?

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

We’re one week away from the MN opener and it doesn’t look like ice will be a problem this year.
    Where are you going? Are you going? Any long lived traditions to continue?

My wife and daughters share the boat with me every opener as we target Walleyes and Crappies. We stay at our cabin which is handy when fishing with three women and it’s nice to avoid the launches.

The following week it’s off to Leech with the guys.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Working on the “todo” list….and thinking of you guys.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

Working on the “todo” list….and thinking of you guys.

didn’t know spam shopping went on the todo list!! ma and I are gonna hit some lakes in the new London-spicer area. one lake I’ve never been on but gotz a hot tip!!!!!!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Leaving for the Ash River Trail (Kabatogama & Namikan)to open the trailer on Thursday. Have to go up to Fort Francis on Friday and get my Canadian license & RABC permit for my June trip. Saturday if it’s nice I might dip the boat in. Sunday morning I might come home and take my wife and her mother out for Mothers Day brunch. (I haven’t been told if I am yet )

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Our Red Lake crew will be heading up. Short a couple regulars but excited as ever. Fingers crossed there’s no strong wind. That’s the only thing that can keep us off.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Knife Lake. Panfishing Friday for a meal and walleye fishing the rest of the weekend. The usual.

690reece
    Hutchinson,Minnesota

I am going to Mille Lacs as it has been tradition for the last 17 years(minus last year). We have relatives all over up there so it may end up a crappie opener but we will try the big pond and spread some $$ in the area! Good Luck to all and be safe!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Lure will be hitting the water on the Mississippi at 12:00:01. Hopefully get my 5 then toss out the biggest shiner/sucker I can find and chill and wait for the big one with a coffee and Baileys over the sunrise. Then go home to get ready for daughters dance recital , and immediately after that go to basilica and watch other daughters final performance of choir. Maybe Sunday get the boat out, after work

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I’m heavily weighing doing something non-traditional for me and fishing for channel cats

Unless i don’t hook into them this weekend, then my fallback will be eyes.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ll be watching all the boats heading north. Opener = amateur hour all weekend.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Will this be the year I do some night fishing at 12:00:01? I usually don’t have any takers and I am not going out alone. Much of that will also depend on water temps and the clarity of the water.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mille Lacs. Some rock pile at midnight. Hope there are still a few slot fish left….

-J.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Will this be the year I do some night fishing at 12:00:01? I usually don’t have any takers and I am not going out alone. Much of that will also depend on water temps and the clarity of the water.

Pug if you shoot me your # I’ll text you let ya know if they are biting or not. You know where I’ll be. Never fished with the flow this high though not sure how its going to affect the fish, haven’t been to the spot for weeks.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

A anonymous and almost completely un-fished river in northern Minnesota. In all likely hood, we will be the only anglers on a 10 mile stretch of river.

Beautiful tea-stained water and total peace and quiet. 2 years ago, another forum member and I were there and got 6-7 really nice walleyes in a couple of hours. Not epic, but where else in MN can you do that AND not see another boat or angler?

Grouse

glenn57
    cold spring mn

sounds like the bigfork river.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

UH-OH…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Could be.

But it isn’t.

Then again, I’d bet there are hundreds and hundreds of miles of rivers like this in MN. I kind of look at these as Minnesota’s forgotten waters.

And even if I said yeah, it’s white hot action on the Bigfork, here’s the GPS coordinates. Would it matter?

These days if the water’s so small that you can’t dump a 22 foot rig with a 250 on the back in and drive 50 MPH to the fishing spot, there’s not going to be a lot of interest.

This is going to be a shocker, but the only “electronics” in our boat 2 years ago was my cell phone. Yeah, I know. That ain’t no way to live..,

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Sounds like the Mississippi south of Grand Rapids?

Nick, I was thinking about hitting your sucker spot tomorrow evening.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Turkey hunting
    DT

Same here. No better weekend to go than when everybody else is out chasing walleyes.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I’ll be on ottertail with my old man. Trying to find all the big eyes for the Reel Country fishing tournament the next weekend!

Good luck to all be safe and have fun!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Anybody getting antsy? I haven’t even been in a dang boat this spring…is it spring?

Hope the week goes quick. Brother is reporting the panfish are biting, which is more important to me. If we get into the walleye fine, but a nice pike would be better.

Forecast looks pretty good. A little unsettled weather, but good. Hopefully the winds are light so people keep rolling by up to Mille Lacs.

I’ve heard the bite on Mille Lacs is going to be hot with limits of keeper walleye and trphy sized catch and release fish. Go get’em boys.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’m getting antsy for sure! Looking forward to getting the season underway. Will spend some time Walleye fishing but most of our time will be dedicated to slab crappies.
    Can’t wait!

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

We’re one week away from the MN opener and it doesn’t look like ice will be a problem this year.
    Where are you going? Are you going? Any long lived traditions to continue?

My wife and daughters share the boat with me every opener as we target Walleyes and Crappies. We stay at our cabin which is handy when fishing with three women and it’s nice to avoid the launches.

The following week it’s off to Leech with the guys.

Logging mother’s day time this coming weekend. Limited waters will have the opening weekend clowns out in full force. The landings with open water should be a gas to sit back and watch. Ill prepared outboards, uncharged batteries, ill prepared fisherman packing boats at the ramp, etc.

I’ll give it a week or two.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I’ll be moving into Maddens on Gull Lake to work for the summer!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.