Opener Suggestion to the Gov

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Why not have your Opener on Mille Lacs and see first hand why the lake is broken? Me? I’m going to Brainerd where I can practice my heritage without being discriminated because of my race.

briansmude

I don’t want to take away from your post and I think you might have a good idea but all this talk about our heritage got me thinking. When the white man first came to continent and for many years after we completely raped the land of fish and wildlife. Look at what we did to the buffalo and closer to home, look how decimated the sturgeon on the rainy river. So is this the heritage we are talking about or is the more recent heritage of friends and families getting together and enjoying hunting and fishing that is regulated by government that we appoint to preserve fish and wildlife for future generations. I do believe mismanagement is major problem with mille lacs but now that the DNR is taking measures to protect the walleyes certain people want to stop them, what form of heritage are they protecting.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Gov goofy wouldn’t know the difference…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I heard Governor Trustfund only had time to attend the boarder water opener. He’s fishing Big Stone so he can then quickly pop over into South Dakota to count his trust fund money and make sure it’s all still there and living in tax-free bliss.

Gosh, what a coincidence that Dayton’s huge trust fund is in a state where he pays no taxes on it. Yeah, yeah, he had nothing to do with setting it up in SD, I’m sure. He also has had nothing to do with trying to move it to the state where he actually lives.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Don’t get me started on politics!

I’ll have to ban myself.

desperado

don’t get this Gov started … he’ll be promising to “appoint a commission to study the issue”
    ^ aka; his go-to stall tactic

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I don’t want to take away from your post and I think you might have a good idea but all this talk about our heritage got me thinking. When the white man first came to continent and for many years after we completely raped the land of fish and wildlife. Look at what we did to the buffalo and closer to home, look how decimated the sturgeon on the rainy river. So is this the heritage we are talking about or is the more recent heritage of friends and families getting together and enjoying hunting and fishing that is regulated by government that we appoint to preserve fish and wildlife for future generations. I do believe mismanagement is major problem with mille lacs but now that the DNR is taking measures to protect the walleyes certain people want to stop them, what form of heritage are they protecting.

Can Native Americans drive 100 mph down our roads legally? Can they go into Cub Foods and gather food without paying for it? My point is back when the 1837 Treaty was signed…they were to “Assimilate” and follow “Our” rules and regs. Neither you or I or the Man in the Moon can net these lakes. Only Natives. Back in the 1800’s I am sure my ancestors netted. It was their HERITAGE. When did this right become racially exclusive?

desperado

I grew up snagging streams during spawning runs (it was legal at the time); but I haven’t been “grandfathered in” to be exempt from the laws now prohibiting this type of harvest
    I CLAIM DISCRIMINATION

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I sent a note to the Gov asking him to spend the opener in Venezuela.

IBTL!

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Federal issue…Love him or hate him Dayton can’t do a damn thing…Obama? He sure could…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m still getting over the shock that Tuckner posted!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

I sent a note to the Gov asking him to spend the opener in Venezuela.

IBTL! [/quote

He probably thinks that’s where Gull Lake is!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Federal issue…Love him or hate him Dayton can’t do a damn thing…Obama? He sure could…

He can ban the Gill net! I could give 2 sh!ts if they want to fish or throw sticks at them! Gill nets during the spawn is wrong friends! I will offer this up as well. And I could be dead wrong as I am not a biologist. But why are smallmouth and pike so prolific right now? How about the fact each year we are netting a significant portion of the biomass out of the walleye population each Spring? What it means is more food for them! Their populations explode! Does anyone remember what happened to Red? Our smallies in Milly are becoming the crappies of Red Lake.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Only nobody comes in masses to take limit after limit of smallies.. like crappies on Red. Changing the limits on smallies will only make bass fisherman mad. good thing for bass fisherman is that very little people will take the bass.

Trapper16
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Can Native Americans drive 100 mph down our roads legally? Can they go into Cub Foods and gather food without paying for it? My point is back when the 1837 Treaty was signed…they were to “Assimilate” and follow “Our” rules and regs. Neither you or I or the Man in the Moon can net these lakes. Only Natives. Back in the 1800’s I am sure my ancestors netted. It was their HERITAGE. When did this right become racially exclusive?

fredbart
    St. Paul

But… We fish walleyed on the Mississippi during the spawn.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

Quote:

Quote:

He can ban the Gill net! I could give 2 sh!ts if they want to fish or throw sticks at them! Gill nets during the spawn is wrong friends! I will offer this up as well. And I could be dead wrong as I am not a biologist. But why are smallmouth and pike so prolific right now? How about the fact each year we are netting a significant portion of the biomass out of the walleye population each Spring? What it means is more food for them! Their populations explode! Does anyone remember what happened to Red? Our smallies in Milly are becoming the crappies of Red Lake.

Tuck, I agree with 100%
    As for an earlier post about the European invasion killing nearly all the buffalo etc, we also saw our wrong and have righted a lot of those wrongs. Red Lake, the European Invaders didn’t fish that out, the nets did, yet the European Invaders re-established it, and now it’s being netted again. Really?! Hello! If the Gov had any kahunas, stand up and and ban the nets! I think we could & should

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

I’m still getting over the shock that Tuckner posted!

…Oh he just got his chain pulled again, like we all do from time to time. He use to fish pool 4 a lot back in the day and then poof he was gone. But he hasn’t change to much. You can tell that by reading his posts. … Chris come on down to 4 and fish some current for a change we have a lot of right now…rrr

fredbart
    St. Paul

In my humble opinion I don’t believe that the issues are just about netting. Netting didn’t bring in milfoil. Netting didn’t bring in zebra mussels. In fact our heritage did. Netting isn’t responsible for the fact that the water of this lake is now warmer due to climate change- human caused or not. I also don’t think that the issues of the lake falls solely to the D.N.R. or the governor. A plan is a plan and most plans that work on complex issued just don’t address the needs of everyone. Most plans don’t work anyway!

I think that netting is one of many significant changes that effect the lake- period. The issues are systemic, complex and cannot be simplified to a single cause or one single problem. Though I would prefer that the lake is not netted and I would prefer that these walleyes stay in the lake and spawn I have to wonder how much significant changes would occur if netting stopped. If it did invasive species would not go away. Water clarity which has been affected by zebra mussels wouldn’t change. Sure not having netting would make some difference but I don’t think in the long view it changes the fact that other variable are also effecting the lake.

It is a right and responsibility of an informed electorate to challenge decisions and voice concerns. We can say what we want about elected officials. For myself I am rather tired of the easy labels we throw at our elected officials. I’m not sure that just because you don’t agree that that makes the governor goofy. I didn’t vote for him, however I think that most elected officials are not corrupt and most do their best considering how complicated democracy is.

briansmude

I want to see the netting stop as much as the next guy but I know and a lot of other people know that the netting isn’t the only problem with the walleyes. Red lake was destroyed by nets but this is different situation. There is a lot pike and I’m guessing a lot of smallies killed in the nets along with the walleyes and those population s are doing fine. Stop the netting, you bet I’m on that bandwagon but we all know that’s not going away anytime soon so I say we should help where we can and our hands aren’t tied. By suing the DNR to stop the night ban is step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I know I’m going to ruffle feathers but I hate when people are pointing fingers at some one else when there is more they can do themselves.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Randy…
    I’m down there more than you think!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Randy…
    I’m down there more than you think!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

RRR he’s down here twice as much as you think.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

RRR he’s down here twice as much as you think.

redneck
    Rosemount

That’s not a “she”—BK just forgot to put on his pants again

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You’re a sick redneck.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.