Smith found guilty

• bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I understand both side of the argument, I’m surprised by how quick it was decided. I also agree with the decision.

Byron Smith

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

He got what he deserved but I think the lesson here is dont be a thief. It’s wrong, against the law and nothing good can come of it.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

He got what he deserved but I think the lesson here is dont be a thief. It’s wrong, against the law and nothing good can come of it.

Agreed. Just a bad situation all around. He was in the right up to a point, then he crossed the line and became a criminal.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

He crossed from self defense to murderer. Guilty.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

He crossed from self defense to murderer. Guilty.

..x2

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Personally, I think his only mistake was using a .22. Had he used a .44 mag both dead with one shot. Pre meditated? BS.

-J.

stuart
    Mn.

Jury was wrong.They came into his house for the sole purpose of robbing him.Your home is your sanctuary.
    Had they chosen to stay at home they would be alive today.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

He set a trap…and recorded it like a moron. Guilty.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Jury was wrong.They came into his house for the sole purpose of robbing him.Your home is your sanctuary.

Had he chosen not to execute them he would be at
    Home tonight.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Heck, had he not recorded it it would have been much more difficult to convict him.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Smith Sterlinged himself by keeping those tapes. Yep, dont break into homes if you dont want to be dead.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Quote:

I agree, Guilty all the way. He overstepped his rights of protecting his property when he became judge, jury and executioner.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, Guilty all the way. He overstepped his rights of protecting his property when he became judge, jury and executioner.

…WELL SAID. …rrr

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

Quote:

Smith Sterlinged himself by keeping those tapes. Yep, dont break into homes if you dont want to be dead.

X2

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

He was guilty, but from what I heard, it sounded like he was mentally unstable. Wheather it was the constant break ins that pushed him over the edge or what, I don’t know, but he didn’t seem or act sane.

Grouse

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Glad he is behind bars. Had he been under control with that firearm he could’ve easily defused the situation by ordering them to lay on the ground with arms spread till the cops showed up.

stuart
    Mn.

Quote:

Quote:

Had he chosen not to execute them he would be at
    Home tonight.

I dont care how he killed them or how long it took or that he taped it.They came into the mans HOME.He has every right to kill them how ever he chooses.

Red Oak
    Inactive

I dont care how he killed them or how long it took or that he taped it.They came into the mans HOME.He has every right to kill them how ever he chooses.

You evidently are wrong

RO

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I agree 100% guilty.

He parks his car down the street, shuts off all the lights, has a cooler with food and drink downstairs with him, has a tarp ready to go and records everything……hmmmmm I wonder if he was planning this?

Brian Hoffies

Careful Stuart you are beginning to sound just like another guy who got himself banned around here. There is no doubt of his guilt. However when the civilized world begins executing people because they think it’s “their right” we have gone to far.

I’ll bow out of this thread now, there is nothing good that can come from arguing the point.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whether I’m being attacked or I’m defending my home, I have the right to “shoot until the threat is over”.

To me (and I’m not a juror) the set up and planning doesn’t really matter.

The murder of a person after they were no longer a threat is…well, murder.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

This is exactly why we need stronger gun laws.

I’ve got plenty to share.

stuart
    Mn.

Valintines day 1982 I was setting with my parents in the hospital.My father passed away at 0130 and I took my mother to their house at 0430.Someone had broken in and cleaned there house out.My poor mother nevr felt safe in her own house again.
    Give me the chance and I would shoot the guys that did this to her and all of their family members,afterwards I would light their corpses on fire and dance a jubilant dance of retribution. (and record it)
    None of you have to agree with me as I will answer to someone much higher up the chain of importance than you.
    But bottom line again is had they not chosen the life of crimanals they would be alive today.
    P.S. Thanks to the guys that have P.M.ed me with support.I fully understand your reluctance to post your own opinions on this.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I fully understand your reluctance to post your own opinions on this.

I don’t. If you are afraid to voice your opinion, then you must not feel confident in it. To me it is the equivalent to when people preface something by saying, “I am sorry but…”.

No one should never have to apologize for their beliefs or position. If someone does, then it tells me that deep down they must not believe it or are guilted by it.

I am sorry but, that’s how I feel.

stuart
    Mn.

Maybe they feel confident in their opinions Pug but not confident that they will not be banned from IDO for having one?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Personally, I think his only mistake was using a .22. Had he used a .44 mag both dead with one shot. Pre meditated? BS.

-J.

X2

big_g
    Isle, MN

I hope none of your family members ever does anything that you or the rest of your family get shot over…. you will answer to a jury of your peers, unless you rush to your final judgement (can you say over the top)

redneck
    Rosemount

I can see why you feel the way you do Stuart and I can’t say I wouldn’t feel the same way you do if in your shoes.
    In todays politically correct world you can only have an opinion that agrees with the masses. I do not follow the NBA but why is some owner crucified for statements he said in private and yet the league is full of criminals of various degrees that say and do as they please. The world is a very strange place anymore and not in a good way. Just one old guys opinion

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

X2

If Smith had announced, “I have a weapon! Leave my home now or I will use it to protect my home!” – And if he had called the police right away after shots were fired…He would be in the clear. BUT the way he did it is called PRE-MEDITATED MURDER…No question about it. He was the dummy that didn’t think things through…

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

I listened to the entire audio of what he recorded. Sounds to me like he was at his wits end… afraid… disgusted… etc. As many have said… once the threat was neutralized, he should have stopped. Listening to the audio… I guess I can understand why he did what he did. For those that haven’t listened to it… he said: IF he collected enough evidence, MAYBE he could get them arrested. And IF he got them arrested, MAYBE they would go to trial. and IF they went to trial… MAYBE they would be found guilty… and IF they were found guilty, they may spend only 6 months to a couple years in prison. And then when they get out, they will be in even more desperate need for money and would come back to him with revenge on their minds. And he said he could not live in fear like that for the rest of his life.

The guy has been targeted over and over again. He was in constant fear for his life. And there was no justice being served.

Guilty or not guilty? I am on the fence. But I don’t think he should spend the rest of his life in jail. I think the ruling may set a bad precedent for others who may need to defend themselves as well as make criminals a little more comfortable with their nefarious activities.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.