Lake gogebic michigan

• mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

I have to take vacation the first two full weeks of august. Not ideal for me but I have no choice so I am looking for somewhere to fish. I have been wanting to check out gogebic and am wondering if anyone knows what the fishing is like there the 1st half of august. Mostly looking for perch but any decent bite will work. Is it worth going at this time of year or should i just hit the mississippi and wait till I can go to gogebic at a diferant time of year?

danimal

Mike, I fished Gogebic two years ago in september with a club and between 16 anglers we caught 0 walleyes and a handfull of fatty perch. The lake imho seemed lifeless , I would look into LOTW OR Rainy lk during that time of year.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Thanks I was thinking that was the response i would get! I can’t really find any reports from there for summer so i’m guessing it’s not a great summer destination. Mostly late winter early spring ice fishing wich is when Ide rather go anyway.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I sledded there a couple times and I have heard its not the lake it once was. I’m sure it has its moments but there’s a town on one end and at least 5 bars on the lake. Its not very big compared to the pressure it has received. It was a memorable lake once and fairly remote but like so many others civilization caught up to it.

brunn
    Andover, MN

I fished it in the summer. Gogebic is a dammed up reservoir. They planted cribs all around the lake, and the local places have a map available showing where to find the cribs. Find the cribs, you find the walleyes. I bass fish, so if I can catch walleyes on this lake, pretty sure anyone can.
    I trolled just outside of the crib locations. Most of what I caught were in the slot, but I did see others pulling in decent eyes. One thing about that lake, is it gets very little pressure in the summer. I darn near had the lake to myself. The local warden was so bored, he stopped me twice within hours – but only because he forgot he had already checked me the first time.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Gogebic is the largest inland lake in MI. Over 13,000 acres and 36 miles of shoreline. I have sledded with locals up there. All have said fishing is good. Not alot of pressure. I am going there myself this year. Check out repos on lake link. Lots of good info there.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Gogebic is the largest inland lake in MI. Over 13,000 acres and 36 miles of shoreline. I have sledded with locals up there. All have said fishing is good. Not alot of pressure. I am going there myself this year. Check out repos on lake link. Lots of good info there.

Not that it matters, but it’s the largest in the U.P. but not MI as a whole. Regarding the fishing, walleye aren’t very big. Perch can be huge…many past 2# each year. There’s a 5 fish daily limit on perch (vs. 25) over 12″ long. Bring or get wigglers for ice fishing the perch. Guys down there even use them on tip-ups.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

Not that it matters, but it’s the largest in the U.P. but not MI as a whole. Regarding the fishing, walleye aren’t very big. Perch can be huge…many past 2# each year. There’s a 5 fish daily limit on perch (vs. 25) over 12″ long. Bring or get wigglers for ice fishing the perch. Guys down there even use them on tip-ups.

I think Houghton is the biggest inland lake in Michigan. At least that’s what I heard growing up with a cabin on that lake.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Chris
    how is the LM and SM bass fishing? that is what i would be mostly targeting. i guess if you are after ‘eyes then the Miss river would be the better choice.
    about the size: if you have ever been on that lake on a sled in the middle of a snowstorm it feels like the largest lake in America!

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Steve–I haven’t heard much of LM there and haven’t caught any myself. I’ve caught a few SM but then again, I wasn’t fishing for them. Truth be told, I’m betting none of the guys in my area would make the 1.5 hour drive just for SM given what we already have here in Portage Lake. Perch yes, but certainly not for SM, walleye or pike. If SM are what you’re looking for, you may want to consider Portage Lake but it’s another 1.5 hours up the road too.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Suzuki–Yes, Houghton Lake is the largest. When did you have your cabin there? I grew up and graduated high-school in West Branch which is 15 miles or so east of there.

mike_j
    Nashua Iowa

Chris the perch are what interest me at this lake. I am planning to make a trip next march to ice fish. I have two weeks I have to waste the 1st 2 weeks of august so I thought maybe it would be worth a trip to check it out. If the perch bite is not to good at that time and nothing else in the lake is worth the drive I will just spend my time on pool 9 and save my gas money for ice fishing Gogebic. Thanks for the info!

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Chris the perch are what interest me at this lake. I am planning to make a trip next march to ice fish. I have two weeks I have to waste the 1st 2 weeks of august so I thought maybe it would be worth a trip to check it out. If the perch bite is not to good at that time and nothing else in the lake is worth the drive I will just spend my time on pool 9 and save my gas money for ice fishing Gogebic. Thanks for the info!

My guess is that August for perch might be a bit lean but in all honesty, I’m focused on dog training at that point in anticipation of the grouse opener on Sept 15. Once bird season is on, I’m doing that until the snow gets too deep or the season closes. Cold Decembers without snow, a rarity up here, might see some days split between bird hunting and ice fishing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.