Braided Line

• BBKK
    IA

I want to try out a new braid, just not sure which. What do you guys prefer? This is for my plastics rod, throwing 3/32-1/4 jigs and plastics. I’ve been using PP 10/2 and like it, except every spool I’ve used so far has a weak spot or two. I get snagged and 99% of the time it comes out or breaks right at the jig, then once it will break 30′ up right by my hand which pretty much ruins the entire spool after 2 of these since I won’t have enough line to make long casts without the knot showing. Its done it on multiple rods and reels, so its the line and not my gear.

I’ve tried fireline fused and HATED it. Have not tried the braid, its an option. Another is sufix, either the performance braid or the 832. So, what do you guys prefer? I want to stay in the 8-10# range.

shamus
    Inactive

I’ve been using PP super 8 slick 10lbs this spring for the same application that you’re wanting to use and like it so far. I used PP 8lbs all year last year and I feel like I’m getting better casting distance out of the super 8.

I’ve never had break offs like you describe next to your hand and ruining a spool, but I do find that the PP breaks above the knot on snags. I’ve found the same characteristic with the Super 8.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Ive been using 832 in 6# for a couple years on several rods and like it so far.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I’ve had good success with the Suffix 832. Ive got a reel spooled for 3 years now and it will still straighten a jig out. The green has really faded, but still holding.

I’d check to make sure you’re not pulling the line accross something sharp first. Perhaps an eyelet is causing it to Frey?

ozzyky
    On water

I use the exact line your talking about and have never experienced that. Just pulls the hook strait most times. If it’s breaking right at the jig head that could be the type of not your using maybe? Granted for the amount of time you seem to be on the water I doubt it.

Tim Reszler
    Kenosha

Check out the new Nano Fill. I’ve boated a far share of walleye with it this year already. No memory. No stretch and casts better then any line I have ever used to date. Glad I gave it a shot. My other rods are rigged with 10/2 PP….

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I have also been using the #6 suffix 832 line and have been extremely pleased with it. Give it a try

BBKK
    IA

Any problems with shock breakage with the 6lb 832? ie, fishing heavier jigs and the line breaking on a hard hookset? A friend of mine tried 6lb fireline and broke it several times setting the hook with a 3/8 and 1/2 oz jig. Like I said, I typically use light jigs but if I don’t have a heavier rod on me I’ll tie up a bigger jig on my plastics rod.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I use the exact line your talking about and have never experienced that. Just pulls the hook strait most times. If it’s breaking right at the jig head that could be the type of not your using maybe? Granted for the amount of time you seem to be on the water I doubt it.

I use the berkley braid knot for braid, and imp clinch for everything else. When I break off (happens a lot!) there is frayed line for about 3″ so I’m pretty sure I’m not slipping a knot.

As for the rod. Its happened on an eagle gt, a st. croix premier, and a team daiwa fuego. Three reels as well, cardinal 302, sienna 1000fd, and sienna 2500fd.

I go through about 4 spools of PP 10/2 a season, just from break-offs. Heck a spool of mono or fluoro lasts longer than a spool of PP for me. Those long breakoffs kill me!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Was a PP guy for years but use Sufix 832 for every braid application from Crappie to Musky in my Guiding…The Gortex
    fibers really prevent the line from absorbing water this time of year…a plus!

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Sufix 832, I’m kinda surprised you’ve never tried it.

duke.harbaugh

Quote:

Was a PP guy for years but use Sufix 832 for every braid application from Crappie to Musky in my Guiding…The Gortex
    fibers really prevent the line from absorbing water this time of year…a plus!

Does it tend to float more? Or how well does it sink when pitching lite jigs?

kidfish

I hhave to give the nod to NanoFil as well. I love the way it can cast a 1/4 oz jig a long way and virtually has no stretch or memory problems. I always use a backing on my braids, but also have had no nesting problems with NanoFil either.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Disliked 832 quite a bit. Wind knot city. Had the break off issues as well with it, switched to PP and like it so far, time will tell.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Quote:

Any problems with shock breakage with the 6lb 832? ie, fishing heavier jigs and the line breaking on a hard hookset? A friend of mine tried 6lb fireline and broke it several times setting the hook with a 3/8 and 1/2 oz jig. Like I said, I typically use light jigs but if I don’t have a heavier rod on me I’ll tie up a bigger jig on my plastics rod.

used it on low for mtt championship. Verticle jigging 3/8-1/2 oz jigs. Landed 2 28+ with solid hooksets that damn near snapped the rod and my wrist. Plus on my blade rod for pool 4. Im sold and will take a hell ofa new product to get me to switch.

coxaaa
    Northern IA

I’ve seen shock breakage on nano multiple times, also runs a weaker break strength than other super lines. Nano casts very well but my suggestion based on what you noted above is 832. I’ve been very pleased with its abrasion resistance and smoothness over my guides, both recoil and non.

BBKK
    IA

Found a spool (last one!) of 6lb 832 lime color 150 yard on amazon for $13.99 and free prime shipping. It will be here Tuesday. That’s cheaper than what I typically pay for PP yellow. Couldn’t pass that up.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

You been catching fish kevin23 or just snags

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

Why would you buy 6lb if you keep breaking off on 10 lb seems like you got a lot to learn

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

Braided line does not do well on rocks tie mono or fluorocarbon on a lead and you will find that it will not break above the knot as you say. if braid does not rub against a rock to cut it the braid will straighten hooks out I would check your knot tying capabilities if this continues to happen little buddy you enlighten me with your posts everyday

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Not necessarily directed at the OP but everyone on here just loves 832 and PP. Both good lines but nanofil will cast farther and does not freeze like the aforementioned lines.

BBKK
    IA

I’d like to give that a try as well, in 8lb (want to stay around the .006 dia). I’ll watch for some sales. Then I guess I’ll have tried all 3 that were mentioned here and will be able to form my own opinion on which I like best. The nanofil might be a good line for late fall. I typically do not get out fishing early spring, when its below freezing as I’m usually ice fishing then. But late in the fall, if the ducks are not flying, I’m on the river tossing jigs. The no freezing would come in handy there.

I was curious about the sufix performance braid also, but its $15 for 100 yards. Isn’t 832 an improvement over the performance? or did I get that backwards? Why 50% more in going-price for a “less” quality line?

Thank you for all the input and suggestions guys. Seems to be 832, PP, and nanofil as the big 3. Maybe some more guys will chime in tomorrow (today) with some more suggestions. Wouldn’t mind a couple reviews on the fireline and spiderwire lines as well.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

I have Spiderwire Stealth on about 16+ rods and one that has the 832 on it. I have been using the SW for about 5 years and love the stuff. No problems with break-offs but I do tie on a 3-6 foot fluorocarbon leader. The 832 seams like it is more stiff but then again I didn’t use that particular rod much last year so its only been on the rod for one season. I have several rods that the SW has been on at least 4 years and maybe even 5. Very round in shape, great casting and no stretch.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what is nanofil? Braid, mono, fluorocarbon?

Im still a old PP guy. Been working,still working.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Forgot to mention Spider Wire is made in USA!

shamus
    Inactive

Quote:

Not necessarily directed at the OP but everyone on here just loves 832 and PP. Both good lines but nanofil will cast farther and does not freeze like the aforementioned lines.

I’ve thought about trying Nanofil, but have read too many reviews claiming that it deteriorates quickly (after a couple months) and becomes weak. Have you had issues like that?

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Used to be a PP only guy but I have switched over completely to Seaguar Smackdown! Love it to say the least. Cast like a dream and have had zero breaking issues since using it.

JOSH192
    50 min from the river

Kevin13 do you fish from a boat or from shore most of the time?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.