Coons

• BBKK
    IA

Have my bait tanks set up outside like I always do, filled with water but no bait yet. Went out to check it this morning and there are coon tracks all around it. Not really a problem, as my tanks are covered and there is no way for them to get inside them, but I have a small dog… one a medium sized coon would tare apart in no time. I need to get them out of the yard, without killing them (city ordinance). Any suggestions?

Never had this problem before, so I assume its just a wondering loner that is looking for food. I think if I get him out of here I will be alright. Or will he just go away when he realizes he cannot get to the food? (they are covered with old counter tops with cinder blocks on top)

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

box trap and transport 10 mi OR
    simple elec. fence set up 4-7in off the ground

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I live in a small town in Iowa and I have had problems with coons and cats. I got a live trap from our local conservation district and set the trap with cat food to catch the cats. After I caught 4 coons, I ended up catching 4 cats also. The coons I took out in the country and shot them. Cats I took to the local police dept and I am guessing they had them put down by local vet. The last few nights I have seen a few loose animals again, so my wife says I need to go get the trap again.

iowa roger
    North central Iowa

Coons are great preditors and never quit looking, they will eat about anything, and are great climbers and very good with their front feet like hands at getting into stuff and prying off covers and getting thru very small holes.
    That said, a live trap baited with cheap fish catfood works best for bait, stinkier the better.
    Probably have several there, so keep the trap set, and you might pick up a possum or two.
    Coons like about all kinds of fish bait including nightcrawlers.
    Best of luck, and keep the trap set.

BBKK
    IA

What size live trap do I need?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Word of warning with the live trap approach. Don’t do it if there’s any chance of catching something OTHER than a coon.

My father had some coons wrecking heck with the place so he put out some live traps. It was a comedy of errors.

Day 1: Go out in the morning, see dark shape in trap. Score! On further review, turned out to be neighbor’s cat.

Day 2: Neighbor’s cat proves to be a slow learner. Gets caught 2 days in a row.

Day 3: Neighbor’s cat now proved to be a retread. Bad news is that neighbor saw cat in trap and is now pissed off at dad for catching cat. Bringing up the fact that the cat was a retread and should have learned lesson after being caught 2 previous times did not help neighborly relations.

Day 4: There is an animal in the trap that, for once, is NOT the neighbor’s cat. There is a brief period of general elation.

But on closer inspection, good news turns to bad news as the animal in the trap is a skunk. Not good.

A general confab needs to be held and much internet burned up trying to research how to get a skunk out of a live trap without the obvious happening. Skunk is eventually eliminated without eliminating.

Day 12: More skunks in the area than previously thought. Skunk disposal technique put to the test again. Coons also proving significantly harder to catch than expected.

Day 14: Another day, another cat in the trap. Most likely coons not being caught because they get tired of standing in line for the bait.

And so it went for over a month.

Grouse

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

A live trap is the best bet. Something else you could try is putting a few mouse/rat traps around the area and baiting them with some cat food. A good whap in the face or on the paw and they might not want to come back.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I wouldn’t not kill something BC the man told you not to. Besides I think B BK would look good in one of these.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Coons are great preditors and never quit looking, they will eat about anything, and are great climbers and very good with their front feet like hands at getting into stuff and prying off covers and getting thru very small holes.
    That said, a live trap baited with cheap fish catfood works best for bait, stinkier the better.
    Probably have several there, so keep the trap set, and you might pick up a possum or two.
    Coons like about all kinds of fish bait including nightcrawlers.
    Best of luck, and keep the trap set.

There’s no way he can get in the tanks.. not unless he can move a block that weighs more than he does, then lift off an old counter top. I think he just heard the water running and came and checked it out. I could see the prints going up to the tank, then turning around and going back out the way he came in.

What do you think about those kids fireworks that explode when you pull the two strings… what if I tied a dead fish to the one end, then attached the other end to the fence up off the ground. When he pulls on the fish, POW!. Think that would scare him away for good? I think I still have some of those in the closet, have to be 15 years old now… they should make a nice boom.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Throw a box of moth balls around your tanks. Coon shouldn’t bother the dog unless the dog corners it.

desperado

Quote:

Coon shouldn’t bother the dog unless the dog corners it.

IceAsylum; may we please refer you to TSwoboda’s post above ?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Reminds me of when my aunt’s dog had it’s face nearly ripped off…by an opossum!

Momma raccoons are mean SOBs, too. Had one come after my great dane a few years ago. I’m sure he would have won the battle, but she probably would have done some damage!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Dogs are either coon killers or they are not. Seems like most are not. My buddy had a small lab that would kill anything that crossed its path. Many coons, skunks, woodchucks. The dog was just a good fighter I guess.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Live trap, if cats are a problem use a different bait that doesn’t appeal to cats, like something sweet. Coons eat everything and anything… cats don’t. Marshmallows work well, and they have good eye appeal. Skunks and possums can be an issue.

Reminds me of a story my grandpa told me. Live trap to catch a problem coon put out in town…

Day 1. Big ole possum – released

Day 2. Same possum –

Day 3 Same possum – at this point he is noticing that the possum is calmly sleeping in the trap awaiting his release after his free meal. Upon opening the trap and releasing him this time, he gives him a swift and firm kick in the rump. He did not return…..

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Quote:

Coon shouldn’t bother the dog unless the dog corners it.

IceAsylum; may we please refer you to TSwoboda’s post above ?

I’m thinking that was in the corner of Pugs yard. And it doesn’t look like the dog is bothered.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

An uncle of mine had a similar issue with rabbits, but he was a much slower learner.

After catching about 20 rabbits in the live trap and lamenting the fact that the rabbit plague was MUCH worse than he’d ever imagined, it finally occurred to him that some of these rabbits were starting to look a little familiar…

So he starts putting an orange dot of spray paint on the rump of each rabbit caught right before he releases it about a mile away from home.

Turned out that the rabbits were beating him back to the house after he turned them loose.

Grouse

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Live trap….
    Then take’em swimming …..
    In the trap

No troubles…..works good for other critters too….except cats…somebody always misses them,

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

If you go with a live trap and are getting cats in your trap, call the city to come get them. No doubt your city has an ordinance against cats and dogs running loose. So if you get a cat in the trap on YOUR property ,let the city deal with it.

tbrooks11

Im no tree hugger, but I personally have a bit of a problem with people drowning animals. i understand the end result is the same, but a simple bullet to the brain is much more humane. I know shooting them is a bit of a problem within city limits, but maybe take them to somebody’s place out in the country or just let them go outside city limits.

castle-rock-clown

Didn’t some other guy on here have an issue with raccoons a while back. I think the names of the coons were Raymond and Racine.

robby
    Quad Cities

Kevin be careful live trapping. If someone turns you in you could get a ticket from the DNR. Might call the CPO and ask first. There are both trapping and hunting seasons for coons. Just trying to save you some grief.

desperado

please DON’T drive somewhere and release them … just because you think it’s “out in the country”

you’ll get one of two results;
    as grouse alluded to, they’ll be back to your place nearly as quickly as you are (as long as they know there’s food available)
    or you just made them someone elses problem; if they’re getting into a farmers supply of livestock feed (because you dumped them “out in the country”), that’s (literally) eating into his livelihood

NOT TO MENTION; in most townships (even rural ones), there are ordinances against “dumping” animals (domestic or wild)
    and believe me if the local farmer sees ya dumping raccoons on his property, he most likely WILL call the sheriff

desperado

if yur not gonna finish the job ya started yurself
    then take HuntinDave’s advice and call the local animal control officer

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I knew that I should not have posted that….

It was more in fun than anything else but at the same time.. a small animal only suffers for a few seconds when drowning….their lungs are very small compared to ours…

You can’t tell me a bullet is instantaneous…I know better than that….I’ve seen it many times before…

Much worse than what some people do to animals for “fun”???

timmy

No different than a drowning set in trapping…. Live trap it, sink in a barrel of water, dispose and shut up about it. Easy peasy.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Well I have herd that certain elite groups of the armed services have to drawn as part of there training and supposedly when the water hits the lungs you black out instantly and there is no pain. Now this is just hearsay I never went thru this.

And DJ your treding on some thin ice. LOL

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Kevin be careful live trapping. If someone turns you in you could get a ticket from the DNR. Might call the CPO and ask first. There are both trapping and hunting seasons for coons. Just trying to save you some grief.

Yeah, I’m going to ask Ed the next time I see him and see what his opinion is on the best way to get rid of them. I’d rather just scare it away than trap it. I know I cannot kill it out of season… and I do not want to kill it. I’m no tree hugger, but I don’t think an animal should die for coming to the smell of a minnow tank.

I have a feeling the legal way is going to involve a bill from a licensed nuisance trapper.

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

Since nobody else has said it, Golden Marlin and Mt. Dew. That will repel them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.