What to do…?

• Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Long story short… I live in a town house complex. The people behind our place had a pipe burst, which caused major flooding in their home. This had been going on for days(they have been out of town for a while now). Father in-law and I discovered it. We found water in our duct work below the floor. Not sure of any water damage as of yet, but how do I go about this situation? Do I wait for the association to do their initial assessment or should I contact my homeowner insurance agency tomorrow? Any advice is appreciated!

Corey

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Contact the association and you insurance. Insurance companies get real picky about water/mold issues nowadays. On my business policy if we cause any water damage and do not contact the insurance company with in 48 hrs our deductibles double.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The question is why wouldn’t you contact your insurance? What is the association going to do?

First thing first you need to do is contact the association and make them aware of the issue, regardless if the claim is your responsibility or the neighbors responsibility. The association should then be able to tell you if this is a claim covered under the association’s insurance policy (every association insurance policy is different and not all cover the same parts of the structure), or of this is something that needs to be filed under your supplemental H0-6 townhome insurance policy.

If you do end up having to file a claim under your H0-6 policy for damages, your insurance company will eventually look to subrogate for damages against the responsible party (your neighbor and his insurance company), which should allow you to recoup your policy deductible as well as remove the claim from your insurance policy.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

First thing first you need to do is contact the association and make them aware of the issue, regardless if the claim is your responsibility or the neighbors responsibility. The association should then be able to tell you if this is a claim covered under the association’s insurance policy (every association insurance policy is different and not all cover the same parts of the structure), or of this is something that needs to be filed under your supplemental H0-6 townhome insurance policy.

If you do end up having to file a claim under your H0-6 policy for damages, your insurance company will eventually look to subrogate for damages against the responsible party (your neighbor and his insurance company), which should allow you to recoup your policy deductible as well as remove the claim from your insurance policy.

that is the best free advice you could probably ever get it this situation! Thanks Justin for chiming in.

FDR

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Its nice having an insurance man on IDO!

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Quote:

Justin is dead on. I was president of an owners association for years and this is the route things have to go. The main thing is that the likes of Service Master gets involved asap (they will need an insurance co. to sign on before they start work) . They can either do the whole job–clean up and repairs(sub-contract the repairs if need be) or the owners/association can lead the way. Your homeowners ho6 should definitely be involved from the start…

Normally, if it is anything originating inside the sheet rock walls of a unit, the homeowners will pay. If it originates inside the walls–it is the association insurance that pays. ( if the problem/damage was caused by a unit owner, the association’s insurance company will come after the homeowners insurance) But as Justin says…some associations can be very different than others. But most would operate that way per state statute)

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

So to get it straight, Steve, if it comes into the house, from the other house behind mine, it’s the association’s problem and that of the other homeowner?

Everything sounds great, and I had the wife call our insurance today and let them aware of the situation. I don’t know if anything has been done yet, as for gutting the house out to know the extent of the damage. But, we are having our duct work checked out and cleaned this week. I’ll keep you guys posted on the progress and thank you all for the advice! I can always count on the guys on IDO!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.