What was your longest boat ride?

• dbright
    Cambridge

The past two winters I made plans to take a trip between 90-174 miles on the Mississippi. I decided to cut out the other boat that was the one to back out both times. My plan is to put in Grand Rapids and get out in Aitkin or Brainerd. River miles from Gr to b is 174 if I don’t run up any tributaries. I keep track of the gas I use on longer camping trips and average between 5-7 mpg on a round trip on the river. 3 days and 2 nights camping.

BBKK
    IA

From winthrop harbor down to near chicago on a salmon boat. I don’t remember it though, was puking over the side the entire time.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

That sounds like a fun trip Dustin!

castle-rock-clown

I took a boat ride in my early 20s from Hawaii to the phillipines then into the Indian ocean finally spending 3 beautiful funfilled days in Mogadishu somalia…and then back. This was during the Iranian hostage crisis. Fun times.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

I took a boat ride in my early 20s from Hawaii to the phillipines then into the Indian ocean finally spending 3 beautiful funfilled days in Mogadishu somalia…and then back. This was during the Iranian hostage crisis. Fun times.

I did a 104 day Mod-loc during the same thing. USS Bradley. Oh Subic Bay

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Spose ten years ago now,a buddy and I took his 18 ft bayliner from pool 2 all the way to St.louis. Slammed a bud at the arch and headed home. Did it in 7 days Trip of a life time. Not sure how many miles that is by water. Anyone know?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

When my uncle still had our Carver (31′)on Lake MI, we did a Port hop from Racine, WI up around Washington Island – crossed over around Manitou Isl. (sp) then port hopped down the MI side to Grand Haven, MI. Had to wait an extra 2 days for the lake to lay calm enough to cross back to Racine. Back then, gas was about a $1.10 a gallon in the marinas. It would take a few bricks of gold to do that trip now. I’m totally guessing that it had to be about 550 to 600 miles, maybe even a little more. I think we ended up at 7 or 8 days on that trip.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Spose ten years ago now,a buddy and I took his 18 ft bayliner from pool 2 all the way to St.louis. Slammed a bud at the arch and headed home. Did it in 7 days Trip of a life time. Not sure how many miles that is by water. Anyone know?

From the headwaters to st louis is about 1000 miles. So subtract whatever it is from the headwaters to p2

dbright
    Cambridge

Quote:

That sounds like a good time. Not sure if I’d want to go that far in my boat.

dbright
    Cambridge

It is 844 from the ford dam to the gulf.

dbright
    Cambridge

I would really rather start further up river but with the dams it makes using my boat much more difficult. They tried running the headwaters to th cities on the discovery channel a few years ago in late fall. I think they tittled it dangers waters. They failed after breaking there jet foot after a few big hits.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Looking back now,I really regret not taking another week and finishing out the river. Man did we have fun.

castle-rock-clown

There is a self published book out there called “you should write that down”, its about some guys who take a pontoon boat down the Mississippi river. On the cover is a covered pontoon with hammocks, that would be the ticket.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I did a 104 day Mod-loc during the same thing. USS Bradley. Oh Subic Bay

I turned 21 at Clark…Those were the days!

castle-rock-clown

West-pac 79-80 uss Harold e. Holt, became a shellback on that trip.

masters
    oregon il

Fisherman’s terminal Seattle WA to Yakutat AK. Spent six months in Alaska on a salmon boat.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Fisherman’s terminal Seattle WA to Yakutat AK. Spent six months in Alaska on a salmon boat.

that is something I have wanted to since childhood

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Ive gone from Milwaukee to Detroit four times and from Detroit to Rochester (NY) two times on board the EPA research vessel Lake Guardian. I haven’t done the Lake Superior trip yet, which goes from Sault Saint Marie to Duluth, and then back again. Maybe this year.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

My husband and I had talked many times about making a trip from here to the gulf. Never got it done. He had a severe stroke that effected his memory. And since then has passed on. He was always so adventurous.

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

The U.S.S James Madison SSBN 627 from Charleston S.C. through the Panama Canal to south of the equator, shellback, and up to Bangor, WA. All in all about 84 days in a submarine. Ahh, those were some interesting times in my life. Looking back, it was pretty cool.
    Ray

z-man
    Dousman, WI

A 7-day trip across the Pacific aboard an assault ship from Hawaii to off-shore San Diego, then to land on an LCAC.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I took Pug fishing once. Thought that ride would never end.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.