Best Longjohns

• dougloew64

I received 100.00 for Christmas from my girlfriends mother and was thinking about treating myself to a good pair of base layer longjohns. Looking for some feedback from fellow IDOers. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

UnderArmour all the way. $50 for a top or bottom but worth every penny.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Cabelas base Polar tech base layer also called ECWCS I’ve got the cheaper black set uppers and lowers incredible best 50$ I’ve spent got them on sale last year good stuff I can’t vouch for much on anything under Armour except their boxer briefs give them a shot they fit a little big I was a 3x size and fit a 2x no problem fished and hunted without coveralls all day at temperatures near zero only wore jeans on top of them

gregory
    Red wing,mn

terramar, same thing exact thing as under armor except 25.95 for a top and the same for the bottoms, vs 59.99. i have the 3.0’s very warm, they come in a white box.

stevenoak

Smart Wool, although $100 won’t get you both halves. Never seen anything wick as well as they do. The last Cabelas I bought felt like Owens-Corning made them, although that’s not the current model they sell. Never a fan of the compression stuff. Maybe cause it reminds me were I need to loose weight

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Helly Hanson. I’m not a fan of under armour. I have a few shirts for hockey that don’t exactly fit right. I get the impression they are more concerned with marketing and fashion than their product design. Just look at their in your face designs.

rednax
    Southern WI

I like some of the carhartt base layers, sorta like under armour but seems thicker

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have Under Armour Metal series, not sure if they still make it. It is a light fleece lined spandex. The spandex really helps your over layers slide and move as you move.

I agree with the bad fit on the tops, I did not get one as it felt like it pulling your shoulders back.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

X2 on the Polar Tech.
    What I really love is the ability to buy and wear long underwear best suited for the conditions I will face on any given day.
    Yes, I do end up owning no less than 3 different sets of long underwear, but I also have the choice of different levels of warmth to deal with the varying degrees of cold I’ll be facing on any given day.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Pure silk from Lands End. Super light and super warm!

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve been wearing Under Armour for the past 5 – 6 years. They are great for warmth and wicking moisture. I can’t say I like the compression feel or looking at myself in a mirror wearing them.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Dang. I thought this post was going to be about doughnuts.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

I like a silk top 1/4 zip top with turtleneck for cool weather, add a smartwool/merrino 1/4 zip top with turtleneck and thumb holes to put on over the silk when it gets really cold or you will be outside without a lot of movement, sitting in a tree deer stand or ice fishing when temp is below 20 degrees. Thumb holes help keep the hands warm for bow hunting or fishing and the 1/4 zip allows you to help control body temperature. I would add a layer of ECWCS tomorrow morning or just stay inside.

starvin pilgrim

I wear the terramar also. I just got in from plowing snow drifts out of my drive way with the wheeler wearing those and jeans [no bibbs] with a -18 degree wind chill. Mine are 2.0 and they kept me warm. Got them at Gander Mountain.

BBKK
    IA

I have cabelas MPT base layer, the heavyweight ones (green). They also make polarweight but that was too much for me, we don’t get that cold here. If its over 20 out you’ll be sweating from head to toe.

LINK HERE

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

X2 Cabelas MPT base layer heavyweight ones (green) tried alot of different long underwear over the years and these been best I’ve found.

gundez-71
    South Minnesota

How are the MPT ones cut? Will a 3X be good or should a person up to a 4X? Thanks

Gundy

BBKK
    IA

They are cut one size smaller than a tee shirt/sweat pants since they are meant to be tight. I wear an XL shirt and the XL are tight, as they are supposed to be. If you want them baggy you’ll have to buy one size bigger than the clothes you wear.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

Best I have ever worn, very comfortable and super warm, I love the thumb holes and foot stirups. Unfortunately she has been dianosed with PArkinsons and is not taking new orders. The company may be bought out and opened again.

X2 Great product. Sorry to hear about her having Parkinson’s.

Several years ago I bought a pair of flannel lined jeans.I find I no longer need long johns when wearing flannel lined jeans. The jeans are comfortable and warm. When you are inside you will do not feel hot and sweaty like you will with long underwear. I suggest you try a pair.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve never been able to stand a mock turtle neck let along long underwear the fits tight. I have plenty of loose fitting UA tops to choose from and wear them often. For bottoms I still use the last batch of Cabelas Silk I purchased about a decade ago. They last so many years I fall out of touch with the latest but since they work I don’t care.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.