Garage Heater- NG

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I need to replace the hanging heater in my detached garage – garage is 1100sqft. Needs to run on Natural Gas.

Any suggestions? Looks like Mr Heater Maxx and HotDawg are popular – thoughts?

Thanks,
    Pete

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Both are good choices, I have the Mr. Heater in the garage at my house and the hot dawg in the garage at the cabin. Both have been great units.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I just put a Hot Dawg in my garage and I’m very pleased. My sister and BIL have had a Hot Dawg going on 10 years with no problems so that’s why I went that route.

esox60
    Aledo, IL

I have had a hot dawg in the shop for 10 years -no problems.

toxic11

Depends what type do you want. Radiant or forced air. Reznor makes great unit heaters.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’m looking for forced air.

Any place better than the next to purchase one of these? Looks like about everywhere sells em’.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Another Hot Dawg fan. Mine has been going for 14 years.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I got my Mr. Heater from Northern Tool when it was on sale, had a couple questions on the install and customer service help was excellent. Hot Dawg was from a local heating outfit. It wouldn’t surprise me if both units were made offshore in the same factory with just different stickers.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been having my HVAC guys install the modine (Hot Dawg) and Renzor for years. Not trouble calls, no warranty work, no issues. Both are sound units and function well. I do recommend upping the size on it to a HD75. You’ll be pleased

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’m installing a Beacon-Morris unit bought at Menards, $449 minus the 11% rebate until Jan 4th. Made in the USA like Modine Hot Dawg (Mr Heater not anymore). Field convertible to outside air intake, includes a NG to LP kit if ever needed.

http://beacon-morris.com/html/garage_heater_bru.asp

HRG

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I have a Modine Hot Dawg 75,000 BTU in my 3 stall garage. Works great. Love it. Got it at Ferguson Industries. Hung it and wired it myself. Had a HVAC friend do the gas line & chimney. My thought on it was if it craps out it will be easier to get parts for a well known brand.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

hot dawg

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I ended up putting in a 75,000BTU Beacon-Morris. So far I’m extremely happy – kicks out good heat and keeps my boat, tools, and toys happy.

We’ll see how it is long term and what my gas bill is – meanwhile during this cold stretch, it’s helping keep me sane – crank the heat, crank the tunes, and putz in the garage!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sweet! Welcome to the club. Heated garages are so cool.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Heated garages are so cool.

Maybe your heater isn’t working.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Finished mine up this weekend too!

HRG

Von Deltoid

Did you end up using the intake kit to use outside air? Can’t quite see from the front of the unit. Thanks!

jerry b
    western WI

Gotta keep that Warrior warm ) jerr

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I’ve been having my HVAC guys install the modine (Hot Dawg) and Renzor for years. Not trouble calls, no warranty work, no issues. Both are sound units and function well. I do recommend upping the size on it to a HD75. You’ll be pleased

Randy, why do you recommend up-sizing? Wont that cause the unit to cycle less often and not be as efficient?

I have an 850 sq ft garage (11′ ceiling) that I just insulated R19 in walls and R40 in ceiling. It is sealed pretty good (other than insulted garage doors obviously), and has no windows. The garage has not dropped below 28* in this cold MN weather and is usually 32-34*. I am looking to maintain 45-50* all winter, with occasionally bumping up to 65-70*. I was thinking about getting a 45k btu unit, but now you have me second guessing.

Any thoughts?

TripleA
    Blaine

Oversized units will cycle more often which is harder on them. Randy probably said to upsize based on sq. footage and the fact most garages have a lot of air leakage.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Did you end up using the intake kit to use outside air? Can’t quite see from the front of the unit. Thanks!

No sir. I’ve got a Co monitor in the garage, it never moves off zero, so I have enough fresh air leakage to support the heater.

HRG

carver
    West Metro

I like my hot dawg. Keeps the bug warm in the winter.

Attachments:
    1. image26.jpg

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

For you guys that added a natural gas heater, did you notice how much it added to your gas bill in the winter?

JoeMX1825
    MN

For you guys that added a natural gas heater, did you notice how much it added to your gas bill in the winter?

I’m super curious about the cost as well, I plan on adding a 65k Reznor to my garage next year…Buddy of mine says he keeps his garage at 55 degrees and it only costs about $75 a winter…

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

I installed a heater last fall and just looked back at my gas usage. I do not see a significant increase during the coldest months and actually had less usage in March and April. I would guess the cost was less than $75 for the year. Well worth it in my opinion.
    80K BTU Mr. Heater in a 28×36 with 10′ walls. Insulation is R19.
    Heater has performed great with no problems.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m at about the same cost as Dale.

I missed the question about up-sizing. Most guys are presented the cheapest option which often is undersized for the volume of space. Verify for volume of space AND calc in heat /air loss

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have a in wall mounted that I keep at like 45, then adjust up when I want to spend time out there… would never go without it. Looking at usage compared to a season I didn’t run it vs temp and such, essentially not enough to even worry about. Like a larger hot water heater… some things are just easy to enjoy.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have a in wall mounted that I keep at like 45, then adjust up when I want to spend time out there… would never go without it. Looking at usage compared to a season I didn’t run it vs temp and such, essentially not enough to even worry about. Like a larger hot water heater… some things are just easy to enjoy.

Why would you heat hot water? rotflol

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

Randy, why do you recommend up-sizing? Wont that cause the unit to cycle less often and not be as efficient?

I have an 850 sq ft garage (11′ ceiling) that I just insulated R19 in walls and R40 in ceiling. It is sealed pretty good (other than insulted garage doors obviously), and has no windows. The garage has not dropped below 28* in this cold MN weather and is usually 32-34*. I am looking to maintain 45-50* all winter, with occasionally bumping up to 65-70*. I was thinking about getting a 45k btu unit, but now you have me second guessing.

Any thoughts?

Garages are not the same as houses as far as energy calcs. Garages will not comply with the energy code due to the over head garage door, wall and ceiling insulation, roof ventilation. Inspectors just let people heat garages because, basically they can’t stop them. They call it a gimme.
    Typically you keep a garage in the 40 – 45 degree range, but when you want to work out there you need the BTU’s to crank it up quick that’s why oversizing is desired. There’s really not a short cycle issue here.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.