Garage Heater- NG

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here is a link to Modine’s recomendations – Think about how small of a garage is “considered” a 2-1/2 or 3 car garage. Like eelpoutguy said, you need the BTU’s to crank up some heat. Most guys want to fire it up and take a garage from 40 to 65 degrees in minutes…which doesn’t account for the time for the ambient temprature of objects to warm up as well.
    On a very well insulated home, 40 to 45 BTU’s per sqft is common for maintaining heat. On a 800 sqft garage, thats about 36,000 BTU’s. 900 sqft is over 40K BTU’s Now if you want the VOLUME of heat to warm things up a little faster, a 50K to 60K is better as a minimum.
    I run a 75K unit in my garage. 13 seasons so far on my and no problems. In the coldest days of winter it runs maybe once an hour…sometimes longer. Cost of operation between a 75 and a 40 is very minimal in cost.

http://www.modinehvac.com/web/Hot-Dawg/Hot-Dawg.htm#.Vk5xNOKFnHA

riverruns
    Inactive

Not to take away from this thread? I have a two car garage tuck under with block walls. 2 eight foot insulated :overhead doors. One stall is 11X30 the other is 11×24. Ceiling is 11′. My house sits above the garage. I cannot put in a heater other than Electric. Any help on an heater that would do the job? Never warmer than 65. The coldest it gets is 35 in winter. Thanks.
    Shawn

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Also to deviate a little, whats anyone’s take on forced air LP like Mr. Heater 60k BTU. I currently rent but want have something to thaw by rig out after some upcoming P4 trips. Not looking to constantly heat the space, just warm it up for 24 hours to make sure everything is thawed out in my boat. Would a forced air LP be the way to go. Can get the 60k btu for only $99 at menards.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Not to take away from this thread? I have a two car garage tuck under with block walls. 2 eight foot insulated :overhead doors. One stall is 11X30 the other is 11×24. Ceiling is 11′. My house sits above the garage. I cannot put in a heater other than Electric. Any help on an heater that would do the job? Never warmer than 65. The coldest it gets is 35 in winter. Thanks.
    Shawn

Is it a venting issue with no clear space above (windows)? Electric heaters will kill you on cost to operate. The cost difference to power vent would be worth the investment

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Also to deviate a little, whats anyone’s take on forced air LP like Mr. Heater 60k BTU. I currently rent but want have something to thaw by rig out after some upcoming P4 trips. Not looking to constantly heat the space, just warm it up for 24 hours to make sure everything is thawed out in my boat. Would a forced air LP be the way to go. Can get the 60k btu for only $99 at menards.

Tim,
    The problem I see with that model is there is no thermostat, only 2 different power settings. After the initial heat-up of the space, you’d probably want a unit that would cycle on/off on its own.

HRG

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Also LP torpedo heaters will fume up an area badly. I would go so far as to say they could be dangerous. That’s what I started with and quickly found that out.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

My problem is that since I’m renting (and looking to buy in the next few years) I can’t nor want to put in any permanent solution like mentioned above. What else could I go with besides the torpedo that doesn’t require a permanent installation.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

My problem is that since I’m renting (and looking to buy in the next few years) I can’t nor want to put in any permanent solution like mentioned above. What else could I go with besides the torpedo that doesn’t require a permanent installation.

I would probably lean toward something like this, that has a thermostat, and more importantly, an ODS (oxygen depletion sensor). Yes, these tend to produce a fair amount of moisture, and the area needs to be able to “leak” enough fresh air.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/932532-mr-heater-vent-free-natural-gas-garage-heater.html

HRG

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In your situation portable seems to be the answer. Torpedo’s can be used. We all have. Just be very careful. When you feel a little wierd in the head its time to shut it down for a little while!

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.