Utility trailer choices,

• Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

What choices have you made and liked or wish you would have done different. I have two requirements…

1.) The trailer must be 7 feet wide, to accommodate the width of my mower.
    2.) The trailer must haul two ATVs.

Today I looked at steel trailers made by Croft and aluminum trailers made by Featherlite.

I was really impressed with how light the aluminum trailers were, not getting any younger this is a real plus. But I am concerned with the aluminum floor. It was about noon when and the outside temperature must have been getting close to 90F but when I put my hand on the floor it felt a lot cooler than 90, keep in mind that the trailer was in the sun. Will frost or ice be slower to melt off aluminum than a wood floor?

Another option the Featherlite has is a folding ramp. Do you think it is worth $200? It was a little awkward to me unfolding it to lower, I’m sure I could get accustomed with it. But then again I could see someone pinching a finger off. Like me…

The way I figure it I either need a trailer that is at least 14 feet long or a twelve foot that has a side ramp so I can load one of the ATVs on the trailer sideways. I almost forgot to mention the ATVs are 800cc and 600cc.

The steel trailer didn’t have stake pockets but for $50 they could order it with 2″ square tubing railing rather than the normal angle iron. And on the steel trailer if I got a twelve foot trailer I could drive on one side of the trailer and off of the other because the ramps take the place of the rail on the front of the trailer. A 14 foot steel trailer makes me think I should get one with tandom axles. Now the steel trailer is getting a lot heavier and the price is getting close to the price of the aluminum trailer.

What to do, what to do…

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Look at the pj. Steel trailers I have 2 love them well built powder coated. Lift gate ramp. They ave a 12 foot with side ramps. I have the 7712 can fit 2 atvs no problem. A lot cheeper than aluminum. Around 1750 or so.

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

I have a pj steel trailer as well. Mine is the 14′ long and 7′ wide one. I opted for tandem axles with electric breaks on both axles. In the specs they say that an ATV won’t fit on the side ramps but my 850 sportsman squeezes through. Smaller machines are no problem. The trailer toes great and at 7000# capacity hauls 5 yards of much like a dream as well.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

What choices have you made and liked or wish you would have done different. I have two requirements…

1.) The trailer must be 7 feet wide, to accommodate the width of my mower.

2.) The trailer must haul two ATVs.

Today I looked at steel trailers made by Croft and aluminum trailers made by Featherlite.

I was really impressed with how light the aluminum trailers were, not getting any younger this is a real plus. But I am concerned with the aluminum floor. It was about noon when and the outside temperature must have been getting close to 90F but when I put my hand on the floor it felt a lot cooler than 90, keep in mind that the trailer was in the sun. Will frost or ice be slower to melt off aluminum than a wood floor?

Another option the Featherlite has is a folding ramp. Do you think it is worth $200? It was a little awkward to me unfolding it to lower, I’m sure I could get accustomed with it. But then again I could see someone pinching a finger off. Like me…

The way I figure it I either need a trailer that is at least 14 feet long or a twelve foot that has a side ramp so I can load one of the ATVs on the trailer sideways. I almost forgot to mention the ATVs are 800cc and 600cc.

The steel trailer didn’t have stake pockets but for $50 they could order it with 2″ square tubing railing rather than the normal angle iron. And on the steel trailer if I got a twelve foot trailer I could drive on one side of the trailer and off of the other because the ramps take the place of the rail on the front of the trailer. A 14 foot steel trailer makes me think I should get one with tandom axles. Now the steel trailer is getting a lot heavier and the price is getting close to the price of the aluminum trailer.

What to do, what to do…

I wouldn’t even mess with small light trailers. For a few bucks above a utility trailer price, you can have a dual axle 8.5′ x 20′ beaver tail 7000# trailer. After all these years, that is my next intended trailer.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=MD

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Load Trail check them out. Awesome quality trailers. They have a lot of options so you can get exactly what you want.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Depends on your use. Is it for hauling quads and lawn mower ? Do you want to haul a car on it ? Sounds like you want a trailer where you can haul your toys, then unhook and haul your trailer with your toys. That is what I do with mine alot and having a 8′ x 20′ beavertail, would not fit the bill (bigger is not always better) plus you gotta have a place to park things when not in use. We have a 8 x 20 tilt bed car hauler at work, its great for hauling cars, a 5′ pile high stack of 2 x 6’s and a stack of plywood, but I would hate to have to hook up to that thing to haul an ATV for the weekend (you mentioned getting older, no way your are lifting that thing and moving it around to hook up, better have 2 people or a camera to assist) PJ’s are pretty popular right now, but in my future, 1 word… Aluminum

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Hey 56,
    Concerning the slickness of the aluminum floor, my friend coated it with spray on bed liner. That turned out great in his enclosed Feather Lite. He was supposed to have a wooden floor but it came with the aluminum skin instead. He is very happy with the way it turned out and in the snow and cold it adds much needed traction with the drop down tail gate door.

Richard V.

Quote:

Sounds like you want a trailer where you can haul your toys,

That is exactly what I was thinking when reading the other responses. I was hoping to get some feedback from guys that had aluminum trailers also, good or bad. And does having a folding ramp cut down on the wind drag enough to pay the extra $200.

The local John Deere dealer has the 2013 Featherlite trailers about 25% off MSRP.

Richard V.

Quote:

Hey 56,
    Concerning the slickness of the aluminum floor, my friend coated it with spray on bed liner.

That is an great idea.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Trailers. Mmmm had a few
    First flat bed snowmobile which works for what you want to do ,haul lawn mower, 2 4wheelers and I’ve taken off truck and pulled on the ice behind the 4wheeler. Trailer was nice till it broke from my abuse.

Drawback is the wheelers in the winter get full of road salt

Now I have a united enclosed 14ft single axel which is light and works good for 2 wheelers front to back.

My dad has 2 of the aluma trailers 10 or 12ft they seem nice. They seem to haul my brothers big can-am side by side fine.

A friend of mine has a stealth trailer which is great for the price.
    (I actually would have one but I got a good deal on my united)

Draw back with steel is rust
    Draw back to alum is a weld busting or failer of the alum from abuse

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Have you ever seen a galvinized trailer? That is what my next one will be. Stronger than AL.& won’t rust either. Seen them at the Milw. Sport Show. A 6×10 with ramp was only $175 more than a steel. Don’t remember trailer brand but the dealer is: Ultimate Truck & Car Accessories Milw. 414-329-7400

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.