Planer boards line?

• aaron
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I just picked up a few new line counters with 8’6″ med fast action rods and I plan to run your basic off shore walleye board and cranks. What should I spool these new combos with?

tucrs
    NW Metro

I really like PowerPro regular not Superslick.

It has worked very well. Two weekends ago I ran board for a few hours with great results I like no stretch line for trolling anyways.

I had a big pike hit the board too. That was a sight to see.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I would put 20# Sufix 832 or Power Pro on. Either one would work great for this purpose as there’s not much difference between the two.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

If you are going to be running braid from reel to lure I would highly suggest upgrading the clips on the off shore board. These clips are desifned for super lines. These clips will replace the front clip and be sure to double wrap the line around the clip if you don’t upgrade.

Happy Board Fishing

Off Shore OR 18 clips

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Suffix 832 performance braid or Spiderwire Stealth for me. PowerPro goes on wet and when it dries in the sun, the line kinks and does not come off as smooth. I also second Cal’s comment above on the OR-18 adjustable releases.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I’m a mono guy for planer boards for numerous reasons.
    I know others like braid but 12 or 14 pound mono gets my vote.

navigator175

With the fast action rod I would recommend mono. The bible uses 10#XT. I use stealth braid but have moderate action rods.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

If you’re just getting started I’d suggest Berkeley trilene 10# XT. Once you gain some experience start experimenting with braided and see what you prefer. There is no right or wrong answer. It’s what you are comfortable with. Mono absorbs a lot more of the big head shakes so you’ll get more fish to the net. Braid has a learning curve and takes some time to learn how to loosen the drag. Best of luck & make sure to post your catch.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.