Need new spinning reel suggestions.

• jjondal
    Iowa

So just last fall I bought a shimano symmetry 3000 for jig fishing and casting crankbaits. It worked fine until I was wading and just barely dipped the reel in on accident. An now it’s junk. It’s got a throbbing noise when reeling and isn’t as smooth. I’ve tore it apart many many times and it will work until I get pressure in the end of my line. Then it’s back to square one.
    Does anybody have any other types of reels to suggest? I need a reel that’s always smooth and works well while casting crankbaits.

I’m wondering if shimano’s new x-ship tech. Will make their reels any better..?
    Thanks.
    Jjondal

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

So just last fall I bought a shimano symmetry 3000 for jig fishing and casting crankbaits. It worked fine until I was wading and just barely dipped the reel in on accident. An now it’s junk. It’s got a throbbing noise when reeling and isn’t as smooth. I’ve tore it apart many many times and it will work until I get pressure in the end of my line. Then it’s back to square one.
    Does anybody have any other types of reels to suggest? I need a reel that’s always smooth and works well while casting crankbaits.

Thanks.
    Jjondal

Getting a reel wet won’t cause a reel, any reel, to have the issues you’re seeing now. There’s another issue at play here. As you purchased the reel last fall, you’re still under warranty. Send your reel into Shimano and have them fix it. The Symmetre you’re using now is a very good reel with a solid reputation. I can’t speak to what is wrong with it but it is far too good of a product to abandon while it is still covered by factory warranty.

jjondal
    Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.
    Jjondal

Getting a reel wet won’t cause a reel, any reel, to have the issues you’re seeing now. There’s another issue at play here. As you purchased the reel last fall, you’re still under warranty. Send your reel into Shimano and have them fix it. The Symmetre you’re using now is a very good reel with a solid reputation. I can’t speak to what is wrong with it but it is far too good of a product to abandon while it is still covered by factory warranty.

I think why it does that is because I foul hook a lot of BIG carp on the rivers I fish and them screaming my drag could be a factor. Thanks for reminding my about the warranty, I’ll call customer service.

steve_foss
    Ely, MN, USA

I’m with James on this one. I’ve been using Shimano spinning reels for more than 20 years, and it sounds like a different issue than simply dipping it in the water. I’m guessing Shimano customer service will do you well.

Good luck, and good fishing.

tbrooks11

I highly recommend a Pflueger President. I just got one a few weeks back and I dont plan on ever buying anything else. You can get them for $60 at Gander

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The Shimano line up of reels really is a good one when placed head to head with the competition. James is all over this one and you’re wise to take his advice. As far as future purchases/replacements go, I’d be tempted to stay with Shimano but if I felt the desire to try something else, I’d have to give a second vote to the Pflueger products. That President line is a pretty solid one and I still like my Supreme XT. The only downer on the Pfluegers is that some models are a bit short in their frame design and sometimes the bail wire will knick your fingers while spinning below them. “Knuckle Banger?” Solid reels though…..

DIRTBALL2
    WARROAD,MN.USA

There is only one reel I use and recommend! The new “Wavespin” invented by Doug Hannon the “Bass Professor!” Without a doubt, the finest spinning reel I’ve ever been privileged to use!This reel has so many new, innovative feature’s that you will be delighted to use! First and foremost, the new spool design that virtually eliminate’s all “bird’s nest’s” and tangle’s! I would put the drag on this reel up against any other that’s been created! To give you an example of how well it work’s, 3 year’s ago I hooked into a 72″ sturgeon that had to weigh at least 100 lbs! It took me at least 45 minute’s to land this monster because I was using only 8 lb test mono! This outstanding drag performed flawlessly the whole time! Absolutely butter-smooth! Do yourself a favor and visit their website at: http://www.wavespinreel.com/ DIRTBALL2

Ted Wedul
    holmen, wi

Really a big fan of the Pflueger President as well. Also have a few Symetre.

jjondal
    Iowa

Thanks for the replies. Before I had my symetre I had a 2500 Sahara that worked flawlessly until I was wading and somehow dropped that in the water to. It seemed like the grease they use mixed with the water and jelled up, because when you reeled slow it would be hard to turn but reeling fast was better. Maybe I’m just too hard on reels, I definitely use them a lot.

But now I’ve got a 2500 saros paired on my main jigging rod, I have took that apart and haven’t completely soaked that( luckily ) but I really like that reel. It hasn’t failed me yet after 100’s of carp and a few dozen drag screaming muskies!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I highly recommend a Pflueger President. I just got one a few weeks back and I dont plan on ever buying anything else. You can get them for $60 at Gander

FWIW – I’ve used the Pfleugers and found that they don’t hold up well at all. Or at least they didn’t for me. I had 4 Presidents fail in a relatively short amount of time. They start out smooth but went south after a summer of hard use.

I pay retail for my reels just like everyone else and I’ve not found anything that performs and lasts like the Shimano reels.

TBeirl514
    Covington Indiana

Quote:

:waytogo Very happy with this reel !!!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.