Looking to go to a 60 h.p. tiller….suggestions?

• fygr8

I have a Lund Pro-V 1660 currently with a carburated Honda 50h.p. and I am looking for a deal on a 60 EFI tiller. Any suggestions and why? My Honda has been bullet proof, but the boat is rated at 60 and I would really like to upgrade. Currently the boat runs about 28 m.p.h with two guys and gear. My hopes are to get in the mid thirties with the same scenario.

shaley
    Milford IA

Honestly 10hp wont get you alot of gain, at best you might see low 30’s… Reproping may get you the same or similar results… I have a 17′ glass with a 115 and only see low 40’s, my buddy with a similar boat but same hull and a 90 gets about 36ish…I do run a SS prop and he runs alum yet,he does have room for improvement but is hard on props so refuses to go SS

Hilltopper
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a Suzuki 60 four stroke on my 16 ft Crestliner and can get about 33mph. I do have a lighter boat than yours. The Suzuki is super smooth and quiet. I understand that many prefer the Yamaha, Evinrude and Mercury. Because of this fact you may do better on price with the Suzuki. I love my motor. Three years of fishing, tubing and boating and no problems. I have a friend that has the same set up as yours. I think that he would love to have my Suzuki. Good luck.

grumpy
    Iowa, Clinton

I HAVE A 2011 ALUMACRAFT Classic 165 w/50hp Evinrude Etec and get 30mph, SS PROP 15, with the FLOODING HAD IT IN THE WATER ONCE..

FryDog62

4 stroke EFi is awesome and Suzuki and Yamaha are best in my book. The better tiller handle/VTS give the Yamaha a slight edge. However, if you want a little more power out of the hole and less maintenance, the ETEC is another very good option.

I have a 1678 Yarcraft tiller rated for 60 hp and have a 50hp 4 stroke non-EFI right now – am contemplating the same thing you are and have narrowed it to the Yamaha or ETEC 60hp. Good luck, would be interesting to know what you settle on.

fygr8

I am being told that just going to an EFI would be a noticeable difference. Sure wish I could just slap one on and try it before actually purchasing. Hate to be disappointed since my current Honda has never let me down……just need a bit more snort to stay on top of the waves and not crashing through them!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

you wont be disappointed with yamaha,way smooth, i wouldnt recommend the etec with your boat the etec in the 40-60 hp models will shack your boat at idle and at trolling speeds where are you located?

riverrat56
    New Ulm, MN

I run a ’98 1660 with a ’08 Yami 60hp. Top end is around 32 with a light load and, normal fishing load with two guys will put me around 29 to 30. I’d say switching for the extra speed isn’t worth it but for the other benefits of a 4 stroke it is. I love my VTS and the fuel millage. Not sure where your located but it sounds like you’d be running a similar set up to what I currently run if you want to test drive mine. I’m in southern MN

fygr8

Thanks for the offer, but I am in No. WI. I am leaning towards the Yamaha or the new 60 Honda. The reviews that I have found on the Honda are that I could expect a few more m.p.h’S than the Yamaha and the trolling features would be the same. Only thing is the Honda would be about 1000.00 more.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Any of the new 4 strokes are reliable motors.

Look at the tiller layout. The shifter and trim buttons should be easy to get to.

Motors with the adjustable RPM switch are nice for trolling.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

hard to beat the tiller arms on the yamahas. Think Merc has the same arm. The VTS is fantastic to if you are a troller.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Thanks for the offer, but I am in No. WI. I am leaning towards the Yamaha or the new 60 Honda. The reviews that I have found on the Honda are that I could expect a few more m.p.h’S than the Yamaha and the trolling features would be the same. Only thing is the Honda would be about 1000.00 more.

Do us all a favor and get the Honda. Lot’s of us with Yamahas and Mercurys, just not a lot of Honda users, so we could use some accurate feedback. From the marketing gobbledy-gook, it looks promising.

HRG

ps: please post the links, if you have them, that show a few more mph’s out of the same size powerhead.

fygr8

Quote:

Quote:

Do us all a favor and get the Honda. Lot’s of us with Yamahas and Mercurys, just not a lot of Honda users, so we could use some accurate feedback. From the marketing gobbledy-gook, it looks promising.

HRG

ps: please post the links, if you have them, that show a few more mph’s out of the same size powerhead.

Pretty sure it will be the Honda. Dealer has to order it and it could be a couple of weeks. Will report back with info when it happens.

fygr8

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

HRG

Pretty sure it will be the Honda. Dealer has to order it and it could be a couple of weeks. Will report back with info when it happens.

The test results that I found were done in Australia on a Makocraft boat. There is also a Youtube video showing the test. Here are some specs and results:
    Makocraft 440 Estuary Tracker Tournament
    Length 4.40 metres (14.4 ft)
    Beam 2.20 metres (7.2 ft)
    Depth .91 metres (2.98 ft)
    Max h.p 60 hp
    Fuel capacity 30 litres (8 gal)
    Max transome weight 120 kgs (264 lbs)
    Total weight Tested 680 kgs (1499 lbs)
    Max speed 60.2 kph (37.4 mph)

Now we will have to wait and see what my results will be. I will post them for anyone else looking to repower and unable to decide on a make.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Quote:

Only 400.00 diff. between Honda and Yamaha now. I think I will go Honda since it has everything the Yamaha has and I have had no problems with the Honda I will be replacing.
    Check out the specs:
    http://marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BFP60

FYGR8, you posted the link for the “power thrust” version, normally used on pontoons and heavy loads. Is that the version you ordered, or are you going with the “standard”?

HRG

fygr8

Standard….sorry. Like said earlier, there are not alot of reviews, but my dealer has put me in contact with some current owners and the reports are positive.

fygr8

Ordered the new 60 Honda and sold my 50 in less than an hour on Craigslist. Now I have to go without a motor for two weeks or so. Should be worth the wait!

fygr8

Motor was ordered on July 8th and still has not arrived. Starting to get a bit impatient! IF it ever comes in I will give lots of feedback seeing there is really nobody running this motor.

fygr8

Doing Hot Runr Guy a favor and going with the Honda. If there is any positive press to come out of this I will make sure Honda compensates me!

Quote:

Quote:

HRG

fygr8

After a long wait, the new Honda will be installed today. I will post my reports sometime this week to help clear the air on this relatively unknown motor.

fygr8

The maiden voyage took place tonight and so far so good. Very smooth and quiet, powerful holeshot and top end yet to be tested. Cruised nicely at 28- 30 mph on the GPS. Once the tach is installed I will truely test the top end to make sure I am propped correctly.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.