What’s your favorite fish breading/batter? And why

• jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Gary Roach Original, dry, & deep fried. Simple and good. You can add any spice you wish to liven it up.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

1. Shore lunch.

2. ground almonds, ritz crackers and parmasean cheese.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Have always wanted to do captain crunch?? Sounds pretty tasty

As for tartar sauce try mayo and sweet Thai chilli sauce. Not so traditional but it is just an easy recipe I took with me from a restaurant I worked at:)

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Quote:

Have always wanted to do captain crunch?? Sounds pretty tasty

Very interesting!! and maybe sweet enough where the kids will eat it a lil’ better!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Here’s a simple recipe for tartar sauce that I use.

Micacle whip or mayo, it doesn’t matter. Coarsly chopped onions, Sweet pickle relish or diced up small bread and butter pickles, celery salt or powder and either mustard seeds or mustard powder. Mix everything together to taste. My kids and others have said the larger chopped onions about 3/8th square makes the batter and everything taste better. A littler celery powder or salt goes along ways so don’t over do it.

My breading mix is either straight flour on a wet fillet and into the hot oil, or if I have the time I pat the fillet dry and use an egg and milk wash, this helps more breading to stick to the fillet, before and after it comes out of the cooking oil. My favorite breading is about a 1/3 of bread or cracker crumbs, 1/3 flour and 1/3 yellow cornmeal, and if you want the breading to fluff like long john silvers I use corn starch, you have to use quite a bit of cornstarch. Dip the wet fillet in the breading and let it sit there for about 15 minutes so more sticks. I use a big salad bowl and coat everything and then let it sit. The breading is consistant and thick enough that when you break the fillet open the juice from the fish runs out.

dgilgen
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

Dipped in egg and rolled in crushed Cool Ranch Doritos as fine as possible…
    Did this because I was out of Flour and didn’t have any Shore Lunch, Corn Flakes, or bread crumbs!
    I was pleasantly surprised and have done it a few times since.

brucea
    Maplewood,MN

Quote:

Use Panko if you want crispy batter.

X2

philput
    Knoxville, IL.

In stead of using egg try soaking fillets in buttermilk then add to your favorite breading, let fillet rest about 5 minutes before frying! very lite & crispy! Andy’s cajun & chicken breading & uncle Bucks breadings are our fav’s!

But we like our home made breadings too:
    flour
    cornmeal
    add these to your own taste
    paprika
    onion powder
    garlic salt
    salt & pepper

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

50% Fry Magic & 50% Corn Meal. Season with Lemon Pepper.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Tartar sauce

equal parts mayo(1/2 cup) and miracle whip, juice of half a lemon, two heaping tablespoons of dill relish (I hate the sweet relish), salt to taste.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Louisiana Fish Fry is by far my favorite… There are a lot of real good dry batters out there but this is the one I and my family choose…

I go to Lousiana Fish Fry Web site and buy the big tub !!

farmerpet
    Hastings Mn

I like the Northwoods Seasoning which is very light and has just a little kick on the end. Northwoodsseasoning.com to check it out and he will send it if you wish.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

In stead of using egg try soaking fillets in buttermilk then add to your favorite breading, let fillet rest about 5 minutes before frying! very lite & crispy! Andy’s cajun & chicken breading & uncle Bucks breadings are our fav’s!

For those of you that use the egg wash, try this. Pat the fillets dry, dredge in seasoned flour and dip in milk or buttermilk. The egg does nothing to make it stick. I find that it makes a shell of a batter that only falls off later.

The egg yolk also invites the cooking oil into the breading.

I’ve read somewhere that corn starch instead of flour makes your fish crispier as well. I’ll see if I can find it.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Correction, cornmeal, not corn starch.

I think the cornstarch is for the beer batter fish.

I’ll post the recipe later.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

50% corn starch and 50% flour and its similar to Long John Silvers, it puffs up more. Oriental cooking uses alot of cornstarch for their breading. Half yellow cornmeal and half flour makes a crunchy batter. If you want thick breading do the whole process twice and cook at a slightly lower temp so the batter cooks all the way through, 300 instead of 350 for the oil.

neckdeep

i have tried a bunch and this is the crowd favorite by an overwhelming margin, I’ll take it one step farther, make sure and let your prepared fish sit out a bit on paper towels, dip in white vinegar and then go into the Lousianna Fish Fry- blue bag, fry at 375, enjoy

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.