What’s your favorite fish breading/batter? And why

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

So recently I’ve been on a quest to find the crispiest fish breading. This week I made a wet batter with pancake mix, egg and salt. Turned out pretty darn good and reminded me of restaurant deep fried fish. I’m still looking for a crispy fish breading though. The wet batter can be a little too filling

What’s your favorite?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I like Don’s Chuckwagon

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

1/2 cajun shorelunch mixed with cornflake crumbs= crunchy fish.

dip fillet in egg, then shorelunch/cornflake mixture.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sturdiwheat’s Cajun

The name Cajun scares a lot of people and I think they should change it. It just has a hint of spice to it.

Inexpensive
    Easy
    and made in Red Wing, MN

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

Fry Magic…simple, cheap, and crispy!

blackbay

Use Panko if you want crispy batter.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Mine favorite is
    2/3 part bread crumbs (seasoned) 1/3 part Corn flake crumbs,
    2 – 3 tablespoons finely ground romano/parmashian cheese, a little salt, a little pepper dipping in egg with slight amount of milk 1st and then cooked in cast pan in olive oil.
    Very crisp, but not like when using all corn flake crumbs as they ussualy burn before fish is cooked to my liking.
    The Romano/parmesan really adds the finishing touch… IMHO.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Louisiana Seasonings. mmm-good!

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Sturdiwheat’s Cajun

The name Cajun scares a lot of people and I think they should change it. It just has a hint of spice to it.

Inexpensive

Easy

and made in Red Wing, MN

Sturdiwheat all the way.

Their pancake mix ain’t to shabby, either.

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

I like Don’s Chuckwagon

x2, usually…

Last week I din’t have any, so I crushed up some butter crackers and added some salt and pepper. Dip the fish in egg, then the crackers!

BBKK
    IA

I don’t like crispy batters, I like breadings. I really like the uncle bucks stuff from bass pro. The light n krispy is just that, light and crispy because it has bread crumbs in it. Its pretty good but a little on the salty side. The beer batter is very good if you just roll the fillets in it and not use it as a batter. The original is my favorite, good texture and spice but not too thick or too dry. No need to do anything special either, you just throw the moist fillets in a gallon zip-lock with some of the breading from the jar. Shake it and you are done.

The light-n-krispy goes fast, beer batter has a lot more in the jar than the krispy, and the original is the longest lasting- I’ve gotten 4 fish fries out of the jar and I’m just under 1/2 full. All for $4 each I think they were.

If you do not like burn your nuts off spicy, stay away from the hot-n-spicy ones, they are hotter than anything I have ever eaten. I put a TABLESPOON of it in with some regular breading for a fish fry and it was still HOT. And I LOVE hot stuff.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

dust with seasoned four, dip in egg wash, roll into lemon pepper Progresso Panko bread crumbs.

Soak fillets in a dark/amber ale for an hour, roll in 1/2 reg 1/2 cajun shorelunch

These are my families two fav’s and the only way I will fry fish. Crunchy guaranteed.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Use Panko if you want crispy batter.

Got turned on to this looking through the archives and it is the best! Cornflakes are good and the rest but panko gets you the lite side of full crunch. Everything else gets a lil heavy for me. Some Lawry’s and some Cayenne and poof the lightest crispiest goodness around.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Shore lunch cornbread is my favorite. It is a little bland so you can season it the way you like.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Parmesan Panko and parsley … Seasoned flour , egg wash then Panko mixture. Comes out pretty crispy and one of my favorite recipes of all time!!

stuart
    Mn.

Ground Rice Crispies with a little flour, salt and pepper.Egg wash,dip and fry.
    This is my unbiased opinion. Unlike others that have posted.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Wow, some great stuff here.. I’m going to print this out when it’s done. SO dumb question, is it the egg that you dip it in before the breading that makes it crunchy???

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Sturdiwheat’s Cajun

Inexpensive
    Easy
    and made in Red Wing, MN

X2

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I posted this question in the cooking forum but it’s been quiet, so this seems perfect-Do you have a great tarter sauce recipe, curious as to the different variations. Great ideas on the batter!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

1/2 cajun shorelunch mixed with cornflake crumbs= crunchy fish

I use this but also add Panko. I use 1/3 Cajun Shorelunch 1/3 Corn Flake Crumbs, and 1/3 Panko (Kikkoman Brand)

I also use peanut oil when using this recipe. The fish is nice and crispy with this combination.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Wow, some great stuff here.. I’m going to print this out when it’s done. SO dumb question, is it the egg that you dip it in before the breading that makes it crunchy???

Egg makes it stick

shoot_n_release
    Mora, MN

Quote:

Do you have a great tarter sauce recipe

We simply chop up pickles and mix them with Mayo.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Quote:

Egg makes it stick

I’ve found if you dry off fillets, pat in flour then do egg wash some reason you get a better coating of your batter.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Egg makes it stick

I’ve found if you dry off fillets, pat in flour then do egg wash some reason you get a better coating of your batter.

Let the fillets sit for a few minutes after you dip them. It allows the batter to set up and ultimately crisp up better.

rangerski
    North Metro

Mayo or miracle whip, minced pickles, pickle juice, minced onion, fresh squeezed lemon. Lemon pepper is you desire as well. Killer tarter sauce

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Mayo or miracle whip, minced pickles, pickle juice, minced onion, fresh squeezed lemon. Lemon pepper is you desire as well. Killer tarter sauce

Thanks!
    man, I’m getting hungry

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I put the family secret tarter sauce in the cooks group so go there.

miricle whip is banned from my house

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

I put the family secret tarter sauce in the cooks group so go there.

miricle whip is banned from my house

Thanks Pete X2 Miracle whip

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Do you have a great tarter sauce recipe

Mayo, dill pickle relish, a little lime juice (or lemon), and salt/pepper to taste. Let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.

rwmcvean

For you more adventurous types: Olive oil based mayo, one roasted pablano (put directly on open flame until black, then put in plastic bag until soft, remove black skin and seeds, then chop), one clove garlic, “some” cumin, salt, pepper, lime juice and one crushed Morito pepper (find in Mexican food aisle in plastic bags with other dried peppers). Put it all in a blender, grind it up, good to go. . . Add more Morito for more smokey and/or heat

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.