New boat motor help

• Arnie Nichols

Had my Evinrude rebuilt this spring. After about 4 hours of use, it blow again. Looking for a new Evinrude E-Tech 225 HO. Any suggestions as to who carries these?

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

Had my Evinrude rebuilt this spring. After about 4 hours of use, it blow again. Looking for a new Evinrude E-Tech 225 HO. Any suggestions as to who carries these?

Evinrude Dealer locator

walleyenordy
    Cottage Grove, MN

Wow why did it blow? is it new or under warranty?

X2 – The dealer locator works good.

chubby
    Bloomington

If you are trying to get away from blown Evinrudes, do not buy an E-tech!

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

Quote:

If you are trying to get away from blown Evinrudes, do not buy an E-tech!

because every e-tech ever made will blow right. Give me a brake.

shaley
    Milford IA

No warrenty on the rebuild???

chubby
    Bloomington

No, because 2 strokes blow up and/or suffer catastrophic failure at a significantly higher rate than 4 strokes which is what you will/can get if you buy any other manufacturers outboard motor.

Ficht = direct injection 2 stroke = high failure rate
    E-Tec = direct injection 2 stroke = high failure rate

I worked at the largest OMC outboard dealer in the western half of the US when the Fichts came out in 1998 and saw the massive problems with powerhead failures they had firsthand. I also saw how that direct injected 2 stroke and its high failure rate effectively bankrupted OMC and put them out of business due to the incredibly high rate of powerhead warranty claims on Ficht 2 stroke direct injected outboard motors.

Since Evinrude makes no 4 strokes and never have they have to tell you how wonderful 2 strokes are. Yamaha also sells more 150 HP 4 stroke outboards than Evinrude sells of all of their outboards models put together, that alone should says something very, very significant to anyone looking at purchasing a new outboard motor.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

I have also been in the business setting boats up for 15 years or so, and I have only had two motors blow up. They were the 250 ficht’s. I would not say that all 2 strokes blow up. I have seen some 4 strokes blow up as well (used customer motors). I have run Yamaha for years, but they have their problems just like any other company out their.

Stan Jenson
    sw wisconsin

I just get kick out of how E- Tech gets all the bad mouthing when there are other direct injected two strokes on the market. You say E-Tech = high falure rate do you have numbers or is that your opinion?

joemama
    North St Paul

if you had 2 blow in short order why are you getting another 1 ?

b-j-r
    Pool 4

PM sent

wannaplay

I don’t feel as bad about owning a “black don’t get back” motor now.

Arnie Nichols

The shop that rebuilt the motor does have a warranty on their work and labor but they insinuated that they are not sure if it was their fault or mine. SAY WHAT.
    The reason it went was because no fuel was getting through so no lubrication=dry cylinders=fried motor. How is that my fault. Was thinking of upgrading to an E-Tech but it sounds like an E-Tech is not all that it is cracked up to be. Is their anyone on IDO that runs an E-Tech and have no problems????

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a few friends running E-techs and they are very happy with them. Also know a couple guys that swear they’ll never own another one. Opinions on outboards will always draw out the Chevy/Ford Syndrome. Loyal and satisfied owners are generally very proud of their investment and will boast their positive experiences. I’m no different when it comes to what has treated me well.

But back to your specific case. Having so little time on the re-build, I would pursue working with them for a solution.

chubby
    Bloomington

I am not sure that E-Tec’s get all the bad mouthing. The Merc Optimax’s are also a direct injected 2 stroke and they certainly had a number of problems in the late 90’s. They seem to have worked the bugs out quite well.

I am not sure why anyone would want to spend their hard earned money on a 2 stroke outboard in this day and age when the 4 strokes are such incredibly smooth, reliable, fuel efficient, and long lasting engines. There are not many people who would go back to a 2 stroke after running a 4 stroke.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

I have ran an Etec for about 8 years now
    . The only thing i have had done was a new throttle position sensor. That would not be Evinrudes mistake. No complaints from me.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.