Fluorocarbon to braided line: recommendations

• fredbart
    St. Paul

What would you recommend as the best system for securely attaching fluorocarbon to braided line?

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

I prefer the uni-to-uni knot. Never had any trouble with slippage. And once you get a little experience, you soon can tie it very quickly.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I’ve had excellent results using the Albright Knot. Always tie the smaller diameter line over the thicker.

Having said that, I fully expect to see several different answers from people who use other knots as this topic has been posted, posted & reposted over the years.
    There are several different knots that will work just fine for this purpose. Find the one you like (or can tie) best and go with it.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Go to youtube and type in fishing knots and ” braided line to leader” will come up. Sorry, not sure how to attactch the link. Real simple knot, works great Called the uni knot-sorry

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I’ve had excellent results using the Albright Knot. Always tie the smaller diameter line over the thicker.

Having said that, I fully expect to see several different answers from people who use other knots as this topic has been posted, posted & reposted over the years.
    There are several different knots that will work just fine for this purpose. Find the one you like (or can tie) best and go with it.

I had always been a fan of the triple surgeons knot. Fast and easy as can be, but it fails where you have thin diameter braid (6lb diameter and smaller). The braid actually cuts the floro or whatever mono-type line you’re tying to. I still use it for thicker braids to floro, great knot.

I’ve started to use the Albright in those situations. A bit easier for me to tie than the double-uni, I haven’t had it slip yet.

Lots of great online knot tutorials!

Joel

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I am in the process of trying the Albright this year… I started by using the surgeon’s, then progressed to the double uni and am now trying the Albright… I am using PowerPro in the 10/2 and it cuts the leader material very frequently. Usually you are supposed to tie like line weights, but I have been having better success with a heavier floro (20#) to reduce the line cutting the leader. I am trying to become better at retying at the beginning of each fishing session as well.

I am betting that a heavier braid will allow the ability to tie like line weights, although I have had the break happen while musky fishing and 80# lines. I am also intrigued by Ballweg’s idea of wrapping the lighter line around the knot.

Mark

igotone

Quote:

Albright

FryDog62

I started out using the Albright knot but found it harder to tie (the last time through the loop HAS to be the right direction or it slips). In a rocking boat I found that I messed it up about half of the time…frustrating. Switched to the Uni-Uni last year and it worked great…did not have any slippage. Easier to tie and get it right – for me anyway.

Dale Rueber
    Red Wing, MN

As others have stated, the Albright works well for this. Here is a site with great illustrations on each knot. Animated Knots

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I started out using the Albright knot but found it harder to tie (the last time through the loop HAS to be the right direction or it slips).

If your actually tying an Albright, it’s basically impossible to put the tag end thru the loop the wrong way. The only difference is 1/2 less turn or 1/2 turn more.

jerry b
    western WI

I use Rootski’s nail knot tieing gizmo for all my connections. Best thing since sliced white bread. jerr

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I am in the process of trying the Albright this year… I started by using the surgeon’s, then progressed to the double uni and am now trying the Albright… I am using PowerPro in the 10/2 and it cuts the leader material very frequently. Usually you are supposed to tie like line weights, but I have been having better success with a heavier floro (20#) to reduce the line cutting the leader. I am trying to become better at retying at the beginning of each fishing session as well.

I am betting that a heavier braid will allow the ability to tie like line weights, although I have had the break happen while musky fishing and 80# lines. I am also intrigued by Ballweg’s idea of wrapping the lighter line around the knot.

Mark

You may need to assist the knot when tightening with heavier lines or on lead core. Try tightening the knot only slightly, then slide the knot coils down near the end of your loop before fully tightening down the knot.

Also, with thicker diameter lines, you may not need as many wraps to get a good knot. Experiment with the numbers of wraps when tying thick diameter lines.

With the Albright, always, always tie the thin diameter line over the thicker diameter line. I seem to remember reading that this knot was created specifically for joining lines of different diameters. It’s been awhile since I’ve read that anywhere though.

For reference, I’ve used this knot for several years on my salmon fishing rigs and it has not failed me yet. Part of that is no doubt because I check the knot before putting it in use and some do fail when given the final check.

Albright or other, there is no knot I won’t check before sending it in the drink with a lure on it.

FryDog62

“If your actually tying an Albright, it’s basically impossible to put the tag end thru the loop the wrong way. The only difference is 1/2 less turn or 1/2 turn more.”

Joel, you might be right…the knot I was tying was actually the “Modified” Albright. Supposed to be stronger but I guess a little trickier for nubs like me

haasjj
    Cordova, IL

The best would be a small ball bearing swivel. All knots are prone to fail. I’ve tried several flippin’ 65lb braid and 17lb fluoro and it’s the weakest point everytime. Maybe I just hog on them too hard too! I was tired of losing trokar hooks cause they are too expensive.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Quote:

The best would be a small ball bearing swivel. All knots are prone to fail. I’ve tried several flippin’ 65lb braid and 17lb fluoro and it’s the weakest point everytime. Maybe I just hog on them too hard too! I was tired of losing trokar hooks cause they are too expensive.

For flipping, I would have to agree with you that a swivel is probably the way to go as the knot can’t take the shock of a hookset on a short string with a flippin stick. However, with spinning gear tying a back to back uni is my preferred method. I’ve tried swivels but I like a longer leader and always end up reeling them into the tip guide. Just make sure you moisten the knot well and pull them together slowly as to not create heat which can burn and weaken the line. Done correctly, a back to back uni should do just fine.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Use the modified albright knot make sure to use a minimum of 8 wraps down and 8 wraps up and put the tag end out the same way it went in. it goes thru guides much better and is stronger that back to back uni knot. Many of the people that have bad luck with it are not using enough wraps minimum is 8. Very popular in the saltwater world. Those fish punish the connection harder than any bass or walleye.

Mwal

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I use Rootski’s nail knot tieing gizmo for all my connections. Best thing since sliced white bread. jerr

Tie-Fast Knot Tool

Back-to-back nail knots. Works for me. I have a question for the small swivel proponents. Don’t you attach the swivel to the line….with knots? Instead of one knot you have two knots, right? I don’t see the advantage.

Rootski

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’m horrible at remembering different knots. I doubt what I do has a name, but I just do 2 improved clinch knots, only double ‘loop’ the braid first. Haven’t had issues with it (yet) and I don’t have to remember another knot.

cmquandt

Sufix 832 advanced braided

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

PooMunk, is the knot you’re describing the third one down the list on this page? I’m going to have to try this, it looks pretty good.

Knots

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Rootski – haven’t used the third one, I do the second one on the braid, using the floro as my ‘hook eye’ and then the top one with the floro. I never count how many wraps, but it is always easy to tell if I don’t have enough because it pulls apart when I tighten it.
    Used that on all our braid lines last week at Kab. (8lb braid to 20 lb floro) and no issues with it. Works for me anyway and I don’t have to keep a knot book with me to remember multiple knots.

red89
    Hudson

I have had no issues with the double uni knot, other than if the line diameters are significantly different.

I really can’t stand casting a knot through my rod guides, so I usually just fish straight fluoro. Def doesn’t cast as nice as braid.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I switched to the mod Albright (Crazy Alberto Knot) from the double Uni and so far I am convinced. Much faster and easier for me to tie…works with any two lines…braid, fluoro, or mono…
    I use 7 wraps when going from 6-10 braid to flouro. Make sure your wraps are uniform and wet the lines before snugging up…

Crazy Alberto Knot

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.