Warrior Boats?

• slab-hunter
    Red Wing, MN

Guys,
    After 18+ years of owning the same boat, I am finally considering getting a new one. I told the FW that since I’m getting close to thinking about retiring, I’d better think about a new boat. (Brilliant!!!) I love my ’90 Forester but she’s getting tired, and, I’m looking for more features. I fish the upper end of pool 4, mainly drifting and back trolling. I want to stay with a tiller, old habits….
    Which brings me to the topic of Warrior boats.
    I got the catalog in the mail the other day, (left in plain site for a while), and started looking thru it. I like many of the features they offer. I’m looking for feedback, both positive and negative. Especially from current Warrior owners. I’ve also heard that Warrior was in troubles? Anyone have suggestions?

shefland
    Walker

Unless I have missed something? Warrior is alive and well, they were down a couple of year ago, I have never owened one, but know friends who have them they are GREAT boats.Good luck!

huskerdu

Warrior was and my still be one of the best tillers? I would look at the Skeeter and the Ranger tiller also, glass is the way to go! Many options available to the consumer. Look at the number of people in the boat, were else you my want to fish, trailer under boat, resale, price point, ect.

castle-rock-clown

What about Tuffy, great little boat company backed by a substancial at home corporate fiberglass firm (Fiberdome). Tillers in several models same boat dimensions per class, but with different internal layouts.

jerry b
    western WI

I run a ’03 1890BT/f115 Yammi. It took me a couple yrs to get mine to where I really like it. I did some repropping which lowered the top end a bit, improved the loaded hole shot and vastly improved the trolling speed, both ahead and back. Warrior’s new owners have improved the trailers, both cosmetics and bunking. I seriously considered a trade but am slowly making the improvements on mine. Since I purchased mine, I’ve test driven nearly every glass brand out there. There are things I like about all of them but mines paid for and I’ve not found one that does anything that makes mine worth trading in on.jerr

scott-k
    Red Wing

I have a Warrior 1890 with a 90 merc…year 2000. I couldn’t be happier with space and setup of live wells, storage, wiring, battery locations…and on and on.
    But also–since the new group started the company a few years ago, I have gotten outstanding support on things. For example, I wanted to install a 3 bank charger and had no clue where to put it or how to hook it up. They and Neal at Southside Marine were a great help.
    Many dealers are helpful. But for me, they have a great product and people to help. Let me know if you have other questions. Good luck on your search.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

Congrats on being close to retirement!!

Since it sounds like you are going to have a lot of time to spend in the boat….I would think about buying a boat like you would a pair of shoes. We don’t buy shoes without trying them on….don’t buy your boat from a brochure. When I was buying a new boat….11 years ago….I sat in and played around in every boat I could including those I didn’t think I had any interest in just to see.
    I went in to the process thinking I was going to buy a Lund and after sitting in and getting a feel for so many different boats I weighed price, layout and features to make my final decision.
    I thought for sure Lund would be my final choice but I ended up with a Ranger and after 11 years with the same boat couldn’t be happier. I haven’t changed a thing on the boat other than updating the electronics. I love being in the boat, it works great with the wife and son, fishes 4 guys easily and most importantly it fishes the way I like to fish really well. The fit and finish is top notch, every time I put it on the trailer I am looking forward to the next time I take it off the trailer AND….the price the dealer was quoting me was better than the equivalent Lund, Triton, and Warrior.

They all make good boats these days so shop around sit in them and make sure the lay out and storage space works good for you. Then weigh the differences and make a decision.

The last thing you want to do is pigeon hole yourself going in and ending up with a boat that isn’t exactly what works for you.

If I were buying a new boat tomorrow….Ranger and Skeeter would be the first places I looked but I would absolutley look at the other major brands before making a final decision.

Good luck and have fun….boat shopping is a hoot and a half!!

tweak

I’m a wheel guy for now, but I admire the glass tillers. Warrior and yarcraft would be my first test drives.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

I grew up 7 miles from where they build Warriors up there in Maple Lake! They are by far the best in my mind. Gotta get one on the water… a dream to run

brett-king

Slab hunter. We can all argue this till we are blue in the face about who`s the best but there is a reason Warrior boats are known for there tillers. I run a 203DC wheel boat myself but have driven plenty of the tillers and watched them run the the water. The new Warrior company has new owners and have made some real nice improvements on the whole company and products.Proofs in the pudding come drive them. We will be having a ride and drive Sunday the 28th of April at Colville park in Red Wing

Indytransplant
    Pierre, S.D.

With the tournament coming up next week in Red Wing, I would think you might be able to contact some company people and get test runs. I fished with mr. Anderson last year on the second day, part owner of Warrior. I liked the lay out but getting older I prefer the wheel boats.

FryDog62

Depending on size and features you want there are some very good glass tiller options. If you are looking at the 17.5 boat class you should check out the Backtroller boat made in Melrose. I like that layout way better than Warriors, but just my opinion.

The other you could check out if you fish more than just walleyes and like to cast for anything (bass, muskies, pike) is Tuffy. They make some great tillers 17-20 feet that have both a front and rear removable casting deck.

Both great options to compare…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.