Wild acquire Jason Pominville!

• Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

This sounds like another good move by Fletcher.

What do you think Pug?

tbrooks11

yeah im curious, who is he and what will he do for the team?!

cmquandt

NICE! With 10 goals and 15 assists…He should add some fire power!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

This sounds like another good move by Fletcher.

What do you think Pug?

I didn’t want Fletch to make a move. I didn’t want to sacrifice the future for the now.

That being said, Chuck Fletcher proves why he is a genius and I am the 3rd most knowledgeable hockey analyst on a fishing board.

Here is what I posted on FB –
    “Wild get 10G 15A 25 Point right winger Jason Pominville from the Buffalo Sabres. Not bad.

We have plenty of goalies and I think the bigger Kuemper will be a better NHL tender. I hate to see Larsson go, but dang, we just got another Captain from another team. Good move.”

And Pominville is not a rental player to boot. He is signed through next season. I can’t stand it when GMs trade for a guy in the last year of his contract.

He put up great numbers on a crappy Sabre team. He consistently puts up 20+ goals and 60-70 assists every season. He’s played all 82 games the last 7 seasons (including every game this season).

The only thing left is where does he fit in? He is a RW and I don’t know if he can play Center.

Quote Zach Parise, “Heck of a player. HECK of a player” as he left the morning skate.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

The guy is having a great year for sabres playing along side Vanek. Now depending on the line he plays with will have better centerplay and passing defenseman. This guy could really score some goals. I think its a great addition.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And here I was thinking about skipping tonight’s game in favor of sleep. F’it, I can sleep when I am dead.

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Pominville will be the right wing with Koivu and Parise, this also gives a right handed shot on the powerplay the wild have been looking for.

Good trade for Wild.

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Quote:

And here I was thinking about skipping tonight’s game in favor of sleep. F’it, I can sleep when I am dead.

Pominville wont be playing tonight, tomorrow in LA he will though.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Pominville wont be playing tonight, tomorrow in LA he will though.

I wasn’t watching to see Pominville. I will be watching because I am rejuvenated and I know there is going to be a lot of good interviews between periods. I might even catch the the rivals game on NBCSports to hear the chatter about all the trades.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Gaborik to the Blue Jackets….

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

I might even catch the the rivals game on NBCSports to hear the chatter about all the trades.

X2

I want to hear what they think about Gaborik going to the Blue Jackets…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The Jackets are a decent team now.

Its pretty funny that in the end the Rangers and Jackets in less than a year basically swapped their pure scorers and grit players.

Kind of feels like Sharks/Wild in a way.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nice deal.

It always makes me wonder a little when the Wild deal a decent goaltending propsect like they did a couple of years back with that Koudobin (sp?) but they’ve never had real problems in the goaltending department either.

I like the new focus over the last 2 years of getting players who can win NOW. Enough of the “great potential”, we’ve been there and done that waaaaay too often with players like Gaborik. We need players that actually produce, not just have the potential to produce when they develop or when they’re not injured or when….

Grouse

mskyfshntchr
    Dodge Center, MN

Final details:
    WILD get Pominville and a 4th in 2014.
    BUFFALO gets Hacket, Larrson, a 1st in 2013 and a 2nd in 2014.

Seems like a lot…

superstar
    Breezy Point, MN

Quote:

Gaborik to the Blue Jackets….

I’m sure Gabby will bring his tough playoff gritty-ness to the jackets. <sarc>

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Final details:
    WILD get Pominville and a 4th in 2014.
    BUFFALO gets Hacket, Larrson, a 1st in 2013 and a 2nd in 2014.

Seems like a lot…

I don’t know where they sit with draft picks, but I figure you give that 1st round draft pick this year and you’ve replaced it with a sure thing (as opposed to a prospect) that will play next year.

I didn’t want to hear they gave up a first, but knowing Pomiville is signed through next year makes it easier.

I still think Kuemper has a better shot at being a good NHL goaltender than Hackett. I fully expect them both to be very good starting NHL goaltenders one day.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Days like this I am not afraid to admit I am on Twitter.

Sabre fans devastated that he was traded, some absolutely enraged.

Wild fans, “We gave up too much”.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

It is a steep price to pay for 1 1/2 years for the player. However to keep his job Mr. Fletcher better re-coup some of that 200 mil he forked over in July. Short season = short revenues. I think I had read someplace that NHL home play-off games are worth 1 million a game to the team. I’m sure everybody at the X is looking for a long play-off run this spring.

BTW, Suter and Parise are worth every dollar they got last summer.

rwmcvean

Agreed on the Parise/Sutter $ thing. Every single night both those guys are gritting it out, driving to the net even though they know they are going to get hit but still banging away, not just trying to get pretty goals.

chirp
    Rochester

Gaborik’s lose from New York won’t hurt the Rangers. He has always been a wimp. Milbury said it best last night, “who wants him.” He will never make a team better by himself.

Like the move by Minnesota.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

I was very much on the cliff with this but listening to Mike Russo on Bumper to Bumper talked me off the ledge. Also reading some of comments that Fletcher made eased my mind also.

There are alot of prospects in the ranks and not all of them are going to play for the Wild. Now if this can lead to a Thomas Vanek signing next summer, this will be a steal. Pominville and Vanek are best friends and linemates and both will be FA’s next summer.

I was worried about the cap for next year but, 1. Heately won’t be back, his 9 mil will get amnestied, 2.Backstrom won’t make 6 mil for us next year,I do think they will be able to resign him, 3.Bouchard will not be back either.

So all this sets us up to make sure Brodin and Coyle are covered (not sure how long they are on their first contracts for), and some money for Pominville and Vanek. I know, I know its a pipe dream. Maybe.

I do wish it was Granlund getting traded instead of Larsson though. I am not sure Granlund is gonna be able to handle it. Lets hope all this leads to good things this spring and next year!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Patience with Granlund. Somebody must have thought Leddy wasn’t going to make it either. These guys are just kids yet.

Should the Wild somehow win the cup this year (which I don’t think they can do) they would pass on the free agents and just bank the cash. With the Parise and Suter deals I don’t know how many more top line contracts the team could handle. I can see them spending the minimum for a team full of roll players to go with Parise, Suter & the kids.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Where do you get $9M to amnesty Heatley? He makes $5 next year. If anything they will trade him. I actually expect him to stay put.

Hockey by the Numbers for anyone interested.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

Sorry, they are 9 mil from next years cap. I guess I would be suprised to see him back just because he is a little long in the tooth.

I know we need to have patience with Granlund too. I guess he was just hyped too much coming in and needs more time to adjust.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I just read Russo’s article and see what you are saying now. I tend to get attached to players and get subjective. Heater would be one of those players. He’d be a bit spendy for what he brings to the team now which is basically a gritty presence in front of the opponents net. And he can play on the PP.

I think Granlund will be fine. I didn’t think he looked horrible in the games he played before being sent down. He seemed to be progressing, but the Wild don’t have the luxury of cultivating him in a short season. Heck, look how good Zucker was and they had to send him down to get top 6 ice time.

I am skeptical of Russo’s take that he could be lining up to get Vanek with Pominville. If he does, land him next year, he will become the premiere GM in the league. That would just be sick to land Paminiville and Vanek using the same ploy he did for Suter and Parise.

140-zuki
    Cokato, MN

Boy that was a crappy first period. Looks like Burns won’t be going back to defense ever again. Stoner is also his usual frustrating self again.

joemama
    North St Paul

Quote:

Pominville will be the right wing with Koivu and Parise, this also gives a right handed shot on the powerplay the wild have been looking for.

Good trade for Wild.

great summary..right on..hey pugsley a good reply in 2 sentences..john might have just passed you for that 3rd spot of hockey knowledge on a fishing site..much better 2nd period for the wild

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Son of a….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.