GOPHERS

• vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

…..and enter SHAKA!!! ….or Flip.

tbrooks11

or some no name coach that will end up worse than tubby..

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Quote:

…..and enter SHAKA!!! ….or Flip.

…we hope!

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Dunno, I doubt they would let Tubby go, pay the 2.5 mill, and not have a game plan….

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

maybe that was why Flip was sitting next to Tom Izzo watching Tyus Jones on Sat night? or maybe he was just taking in the game…..

Shaka….UCLA, warm, wonderfull campus, arena, new facilities, tradition …….OR Minnesota, misaerable weather, city campus next to slums/old warehouses, old arena, crap facilites, zero traditions, biggest fair weather fans known to the midwest??

what would you do??

tbrooks11

Oh i agree 100% they have to have a plan.. but their plan could be to go for the homerun with Shaka or Brad Stevens. If that doesnt pan out we get stuck with a no-namer.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

no way brad stevens is leaving Butler for MN in its current state.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I suppose the gophers may have an inside track for Shaka because of Teague, but both Shaka and Stevens pretty much have a choice of jobs, if they were to leave. I doubt the Gophers are high on the list. Just like Gopher fans to over-value their program, like when Tony Dungy was coming here for the football job. Hey how about the guy from FGCU? I’m sure he is dying for the chance to coach the Gophers!

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Their plan needs to be two fold…………..

1) Pay Tubby to go away. He hasn’t done a thing better then Monson did.

2) Hire whoever can bring 2 of the 3 top recruits to Minnesota.

But hey, I haven’t watched 2 minutes of basketball all season so I guess I really don’t care anyway.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

tubby

Not going to happen.

Like everything at the U that has to do with sports, it’s nothing to do with sports. It’s all political.

The U is currently recieving a royal ball busting over its massive administrative and overhead expenses. Another high-profile Big Money buyout of a coaching contract is the last thing they need PR-wise and that’s why it won’t be allowed to happen.

There are also the obvious diversity implications of dismissing the highest profile African American coach. Same song, different verse. The U doesn’t need the hassle.

The Gropers did well enough to scrape by for another year. Beating Indiana and making the NCAA tourn can be spin-doctored into “proof” that the program is on the rise and that’s the end of it.

Grouse

FryDog62

There is ZEEEEEEEERRRRRRRROOOOOOO chance of bringing Shaka Smart to Minnesota. None….zip, nada so not worth even discussing. Shaka is already making more money than Tubby was and is a top line candidate for any elite program in the country. People like that would never even consider coming to a mid-tier place like Minnesota with an old barn, no practice facility and lack of a winning tradition.

Zip, zero, no way… its going to have to be an unknown the Gophers are willing to take a chance on. Hopefully not a basketball version of Tim Brewster…

Get ready for a 10 year re-build just to get back to what they did this year…

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

Quote:

tubby

Not going to happen.

Like everything at the U that has to do with sports, it’s nothing to do with sports. It’s all political.

The U is currently recieving a royal ball busting over its massive administrative and overhead expenses. Another high-profile Big Money buyout of a coaching contract is the last thing they need PR-wise and that’s why it won’t be allowed to happen.

There are also the obvious diversity implications of dismissing the highest profile African American coach. Same song, different verse. The U doesn’t need the hassle.

The Gropers did well enough to scrape by for another year. Beating Indiana and making the NCAA tourn can be spin-doctored into “proof” that the program is on the rise and that’s the end of it.

Grouse

Well, that makes you 0-1 today. Tubbys been let go.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

the coach at Hopkins could have won 8 Big 10 games this year.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Absolutely stunning if this turns out to be true. I freely admit the U’s arrogance and reckless disregard for public money would reach a new height that I simply can’t believe.

If I remember right, Tubby’s buyout clause is $2 million? Is that the case, or is that reduced because the season is now officially over?

And they just renewed his contract last summer. Unreal.

Grouse

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

He will get about 2.5 mill per the article on ESPN.

FryDog62

Quote:

Quote:

the coach at Hopkins could have won 8 Big 10 games this year.

Hire the Hopkins Coach!! They usually have some of the best talent in Minnesota anyway – and he could recruit them to stay at home and maybe win 9 Big 10 games

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Hopefully Shaka is the answer however, he’ll need to adjust his style some to the Big 10. Michigan St. made swiss cheese of his defense, whatever the ell he calls it.

I’m glad we’re making the change and if we get Smart, we could save a few of those in-state guys as Shaka is young and plays up tempo, which kids like.

ET

tbrooks11

Quote:

maybe that was why Flip was sitting next to Tom Izzo watching Tyus Jones on Sat night? or maybe he was just taking in the game…..

Shaka….UCLA, warm, wonderfull campus, arena, new facilities, tradition …….OR Minnesota, misaerable weather, city campus next to slums/old warehouses, old arena, crap facilites, zero traditions, biggest fair weather fans known to the midwest??

what would you do??

Minnesota has connections with the Teague-Smart relationship. Dont get me wrong, i would be shocked if shaka did part ways with VCU, even if he got offers from both UCLA and Minnesota

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

About a month ago on KFAN, the person they had on said that the boosters were unhappy with Tubby and they were willing to put up the money to pay off his contract. As far as contract extensions, it sound like its more of something every college does to help with recruiting.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t know why any coach would want to come here for football or basketball. The place is a black-hole, unless like Clem, you cheat.

Brian Hoffies

Quote:

I don’t know why any coach would want to come here for football or basketball. The place is a black-hole, unless like Clem, you cheat.

I have never had anybody say they were upset that Clem cheated. It was always that little laugh and wink, wink. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with writing a kids paper when it’s also OK for a kid to play one year and leave. Do you think the one & done kids ever see the inside of a classroom?

For the NCAA to still be promoting “student” athletes is a farce. Those kids mean nothing more to the NCAA then a free labor / marketing force.

FryDog62

Quote:

Hopefully Shaka is the answer however, he’ll need to adjust his style some to the Big 10. Michigan St. made swiss cheese of his defense, whatever the ell he calls it.

I’m glad we’re making the change and if we get Smart, we could save a few of those in-state guys as Shaka is young and plays up tempo, which kids like.

ET

Not an ice cubes chance in Hades that Shaka is coming here…

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Maybe a dream… Maybe a vision. Flip please!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Not an ice cubes chance in Hades that Shaka is coming here…

Quite the statement given he’s number one on every prognosticators list? What’s your inside info or reason?

Maybe we’ll get Shaka Khan!!

FryDog62

Lots of reasons… first they had to buy our Tubby for $2.5 million, then they would have to buy out Shaka for almost as much. Then, Shaka already makes more than what Tubby did and would want more. So there’s the financial side.

Then, there’s the issue of how realistic it would be for a program like Minnesota’s to land a highly touted coach on the way up (Shaka’s is very high right now). Well, Minnesota lacks a winning tradition, they play in an old dumpy Barn and there is no practice facility. Practice facility was a must have for Tubby to come here and 6 years later, how’s that working out?

Shaka may be on the top of our list, but the rest of the basketball world laughs at that (see Myron Metcalfs articles on ESPN). There are elite programs that would love to have Shaka…UCLA is open tright now and they have him on their short list. If Roy Williams or Rick Pitino decided to retire, Shaka would be at or near the top of their list.

Long and short, Shaka’s stock is very high right now and he would be at the head of the line for any major opening right now – he might be top on our list, but we are probably 45th on his list (or more). Yes, there is the Norwood Teague connection, but Norwood would have a tough time convining the Regents to fork out $5million in buyouts…pay Shaka what.. $3-4 million a year, then convincing Shaka he should take a chance on a mid-tier program that instead of having a winning tradition, has a tradition of scandals, a sub .500 conference record forever, and fair weather fans?

Oh, and speaking of weather…

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

I have never had anybody say they were upset that Clem cheated. It was always that little laugh and wink, wink. Personally I don’t see anything wrong with writing a kids paper when it’s also OK for a kid to play one year and leave. Do you think the one & done kids ever see the inside of a classroom?

For the NCAA to still be promoting “student” athletes is a farce. Those kids mean nothing more to the NCAA then a free labor / marketing force.

Whatever happened to good old Clem? After he screwed up your program he fell off the face of the earth. I’ll bet he”s hanging out with Jimmy Hoffa.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Agree!

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

I hope you all realize our athletic director now is the man who hired Shaka Smart. They go way back. They fired Tubby because they have a plan, what that plan is none of us know. But I trust they make the right decision.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.