MN looks @driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants

• carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

This will get your Goat!

WTF are those knuckleheads in St. Paul thinking.
    Ohh, Wait, they Don’t think!

Minnesota looks at driver’s licenses for illegal immigrants

ST. PAUL — A Senate panel passed a bill on Monday that would let illegal immigrants get a Minnesota driver’s license, the most recent development in a push at the Capitol to train and ensure more drivers who aren’t U.S. citizens.

The Senate Transportation and Public Safety Committee endorsed the bill on a 10-7 vote — with all Democrats in favor and all Republicans opposing the bill — to ease the state’s restrictions on driver’s licenses. A House committee endorsed a similar bill last week. The Democrats pushing the measure say the change would make Minnesota roads safer: If the state starts to regulate illegal immigrants behind the wheel, they’ll have to pass a test and could more easily buy automobile insurance.

But Republicans expressed concern that the change could lead to unintended consequences, such as illegal immigrants using their new state IDs to register to fraudulently vote on Election Day.

“We have to tread very carefully here … to make sure that we’re not opening this up too broadly,” said Sen. Eric Pratt, R-Prior Lake.

Sen. Bobby Joe Champion and other Democrats said Champion’s bill should be weighed solely as a public safety measure. The House Transportation Policy Committee endorsed the bill on Wednesday, also on party lines.

If signed into law, Minnesota would become just the fifth state to give illegal immigrants permission to drive. Illinois made the change in January, joining New Mexico, Washington and Utah.

Minnesota’s current policy dates back to 2003, when former Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty made an administrative rule change barring the state from issuing licenses to someone in the country illegally.

That change eventually cost Wendy Hickey’s husband — who crossed into the U.S. from Mexico illegally in 1996 — his job, she said.

Hickey said her husband got a letter three years ago that his license had been canceled, citing the policy change in 2003, after a random check found he had no Social Security number on file. Unable to prove he was legally allowed to drive, he lost his job at a company where he needed to drive every day.

“If this bill passed, he would be able to provide for our family,” said Hickey, who works at La Puerta Abierta Methodist Church in St. Paul.

Members of the local Latino community packed Monday’s hearing, sharing their stories about how the ability to get a license would ease a constant fear of being pulled over and deported.

“We would be able to take our children to a hospital without having the fear that somebody could take us away at that moment when our kids are in need,” Angel Alejandro Godinez said.

Rep. Karen Clark, a Minneapolis Democrat who authored the House bill, has pushed the measures several times, most recently in 2010. She said she’s hopeful that the Legislature will finally pass it and that Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton will sign it.

Dayton spokeswoman Katharine Tinucci said the governor has not yet reviewed the bill.

Sen. Mary Kiffmeyer, a Big Lake Republican and former secretary of state, said that a license without some kind of indication that the holder isn’t an eligible voter could be used at the polls.

“Though it may not be legal, it raises grave concerns about these things happening,” she said.

Other states’ driving programs for illegal immigrants have been abused. An Associated Press investigation last year found a striking pattern in New Mexico, suggesting immigrants tried to game the system to obtain a license. In one instance, 48 foreign-born individuals claimed to live at a smoke shop in Albuquerque to fulfill a residency condition.

Washington’s requirements attracted national attention when Jose Antonio Vargas, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, revealed his illegal immigration status in an essay for the New York Times Magazine in 2011. Vargas chronicled how he obtained his Washington license. State authorities conducted an investigation that revealed Vargas did not reside at the address he stated in his application and canceled his license.

Sharon
    SE Metro

“to train and ENSURE more drivers”???… clearly someone’s not thinking. WOW. I really wish this was a joke.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

Just gotta keep one INS agent at the license stations and nab em!!! But golly gee who wouldve guessed that something like this would be introduced by a democrat…

briansmude

“This would ease their constant fear of being pulled over and deported” how about becoming a legal citizen. We might as well give them free health care, free food and housing. Oh wait!

brad-o
    Mankato

I like the idea, If you can make it past our borders find a job that Americans are above doing (power washing hog barns) roll out the welcome mats and give’m a licenses.

rfuchs

Quote:

“to train and ENSURE more drivers”???… clearly someone’s not thinking. WOW. I really wish this was a joke.

X2

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

That is one of the dumbest things that I have heard lately. How in the world can someone be here illegally, and yet be helped to legally have a drivers license. To our Minnesota Democratic politicians, I am going to change my call name to Republican Tom.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

After reading this and pondering on it for a bit I found myself quite confused.

As an employer I need to verify the status of all employees to ensure they’re eligible for employment.

If I knowingly hire someone not eligible to work in this country, which is the case with ALL illegal immigrants… my butt can be in the wringer.

So if it is illegal for employers to hire illegal immigrants what’s the purpose of the driver’s license as it pertains to employment?

What am I missing?

john_h
    Hastings, MN

Trying to hold back my anger…

James you are missing nothing!

Democrats buying votes…

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

You are not missing anything…..

Not only can you incur some hefty fines, but your own legal employees can sue you.

Under federal law, it is illegal for any employer to hire, recruit or refer for a fee any alien not authorized to work in the United States. There are criminal and civil penalties associated with this conduct.

For first offenders, there is a $250-$2,000 fine per illegal employee.

For a second offense, the fine is $2,000-$5,000 per illegal employee.

For employers who have been convicted of hiring illegal immigrants more than twice, the fine can range from $3000-$10,000 per employee. If the employer demonstrates a pervasive pattern of knowingly employing illegal immigrants, he or she could face additional fines, and up to six months in jail.

Additionally, under the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations (RICO) act, employers hiring illegal immigrants have been sued, resulting in large settlements. The lawfully documented workers of the Zirkle Fruit Company recently settled a class action lawsuit brought under RICO. The suit alleged that their employer knowingly hired undocumented workers, driving down their wages.

I believe Minneapolis is a sanctuary city so this just goes along with the political climate that our politicians have set up. Just when you thought you saw it all.

llong

Such bullsh!t, you are here illegally plain and simple, INS agent at the dmv with a bus sitting outside to load all of them and ship them back. I could care less if they are here working (do a job that others are not willing to do) and providing for there family, as well as sending money back to their homeland. they are still here illegally no matter what. No proof you are a citizen, no license, NO USA for you!! get out of my country that forfathers fought so hard for us to have what we have today.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Hickey said her husband got a letter three years ago that his license had been canceled, citing the policy change in 2003, after a random check found he had no Social Security number on file. Unable to prove he was legally allowed to drive, he lost his job at a company where he needed to drive every day.

A person can’t make this crap up!

There’s something wrong with that statement.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Trying to hold back my anger…

James you are missing nothing!

Democrats buying votes…

I miss the days when politicians actually took the time to tell a decent lie. The sad part is more than a few will line up to support this.

gary d
    cordova,il

Here in Illinois the illegal immigrants can get a driver licenses. One of the big reason was that way they could legally drive and be safe on ours roads. That comforts me to no end knowing that the roads are safer. Some one said that it is just a vote getter and I think they hit the nail on the head on that one. I’m sure there are more reasons ,but it is just a crazy world and it will not stop any time soon.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

When is the republican party going to get their shtuff together and rally the American people around the values we mostly all hold. Last election I watched their convention and sadly knew then they had lost. Most likely this will not pass from what I have been hearing but it is only a matter of time……

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

What part of ILLEGAL dont the Dems understand the ILL or the EGAL ? Good Lord what is this State becomming.

waterice
    Elk Point, SD

Not to be picky but INS is gone its called ICE Immigration and Customs Enforcment.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

What am I missing?

The word Senator before Holst

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Quote:

What am I missing?

I would vote for him if he gave me his Skeeter.

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What am I missing?

I would vote for him if he gave me his Skeeter.

I would vote for just to raise the IQ of government.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Was reading this week the report that top Republicans called for on “how the election was lost” and “what the party needs to do to win the next one”. Of the several reasons, one was related to immigration, noting the party needed to get behind and pass new immigration reform law. Doesn’t sound from the comments here like that’s going to be popular.

Politics aside, I could see a few jobs that would benefit from this law, should it ever pass.

1) Cab companies
    2) Delivery services / couriers
    3) Construction

Just to name a few. We have illegals here no doubt, and I don’t think they are leaving en masse anytime soon, so while they are here, should we at least attempt to teach them how to drive safely? Or make an attempt at knowing who they are, where they live, etc?

ET

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Are illegals getting into a lot of accidents? Do they commit vehicular homicides at epidemic proportions? We sure seem to cater to illegals. How easy will it be to vote?

This might sound politically incorrect, but it is an observation. Do Somalis take drivers tests?

I may be a conservative, but I am polarized on immigration. Give them a path to legal status. I am not saying open the door wide open, just think demonizing hard working immigrants is a mistake.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Sounds like they need a Library card not a Drivers License. I think you guys are missing the big picture here. With a valid Drivers license now they can vote and once again they are NOT even US citizens.

cdm
    Oronoco, SE. MN.

Its no wonder the world is going to pot. Alot of people are just willing to sit back and let this stuff slide in. You know like [censored] marriage, and Gun Control, Legalizing Marijuana, Illegal Aliens rights. And then as we sit on the sidelines doing nothing but complaining about how the US is going downhill as a World leader. And how the government keeps dictating how we live our lives. Think about it

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

It’s all about buying votes, thereby retaining power so they can continue to control We the people! The real problem is the low information voter!

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

This might sound politically incorrect, but it is an observation. Do Somalis take drivers tests?

I may be a conservative, but I am polarized on immigration. Give them a path to legal status. I am not saying open the door wide open, just think demonizing hard working immigrants is a mistake.

I’m a conservative as well. I know immigration is a large part of our countries make up. Heck, my family has only been here just over a century. I would never demonize an immigrant.

What I have a problem with is catering to the people that entered this country illegally. I kind of see it as a slap in the face to the immigrants that went through the proper channels to become a legal citizen of the US. They spent money and time to go though the process and I have the upmost respect for them no matter where they came from.

Not really sure how the Somali’s fit into this topic. Most if not all of the Somali population are here legally and went through the immigration process to become a legal American.

I believe the reason for this decision has been listed above many times. It’s just catering to a portion of the population that will pay it forward at the next election.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Like I said, I am not talking an open door policy. But a path to legal status where they have to pay a nominal fee works for me.

I brought Somalis up because supposedly this is happening because of a “safety issue”. I see so many people who drive that probably got their license through the proper channels, but still are careless drivers. It is just an observation.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

Like I said, I am not talking an open door policy. But a path to legal status where they have to pay a nominal fee works for me.

We can agree to disagree on this policy. That’s another great thing about our country, we can all have our own opinion, and I respect yours.

Quote:

I brought Somalis up because supposedly this is happening because of a “safety issue”. I see so many people who drive that probably got their license through the proper channels, but still are careless drivers. It is just an observation.

Sorry, took your take on this the wrong way.

I see a lot of bad drivers of all races. The DL test is not a cure all for bad drivers.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.