Dreams turning into reality

• Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Well…

The old Dog has been working on acquiring a Hunt Camp for about 20 years. Always been a dream of mine. A Fall Retreat with Family and Friends – complete with bunk house, main cabin with giant dining table for eating/drinking/story telling, wrap around covered porch for watching the sun go down / scotch drinking / cigar smoking, big kitchen for cooking the game feeds, all stamped/sealed/tinted concrete floor throughout for wearing boots and dog friendly, huge fieldstone fireplace that opens into both the kitchen and dining area, sauna, etc.

Trails cut through miles of timber, food plots, etc.

Grouse, Deer, Bear, etc.

It is starting to take shape. I am looking forward to seeing my children learning the rituals of the fall harvest.

Working on the forestry plans with DNR, habitat plans, building the free standing finnish sauna house, outhouse, designing the commercial kitchen (all stainless) etc.

Working with reclaimed materials and products.

Who says dreams can’t come true!!!!!

Dog

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Sounds great

Now all you have to do is win the lottery

out_there
    west central minnesota

you forgot about the fish

Grouse_Dog

Quote:

you forgot about the fish

Might have to build a pond. – just a slough / swamp on about 50 acres of the property. That would be fun, too.

Just not a priority now. (Too many bugs in the summer)

Dog

Grouse_Dog

Brian Hoffes is going to help me find the used restaurant equipment, stainless prep tables, etc. The kitchen needs to be able to be hosed down after a hard week of “man use”

Not fancy – just functional and easy to clean up.

Need to be able to cook for 12-18 at meal time.

Dog

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Is this a cabin or a resort

Grouse_Dog

I have a few buddies that like to hunt and a big family.

It will look like a Pole Building from the outside. Morton and Structural are bidding on the exterior building.

It will be DYI on the inside. Using Trax ( or similar ) for the exterior decks and interior baseboard trim so that it can be power washed at the end of season. Both inside and out. No rot problems and no issues with trim damage from water.

Everything will have stainless legs and feet – there will be three drains in the concrete floor. Low maintenance.

Dog

hope4fish

Grouse Dog- I’m open to adoption, and have 3 grouse dog’s (setters)……just sayin’……

Grouse_Dog

560 acres of clover lined trails – full habitat plan filed with DNR that was built off the Recent MN Grouse and Habitat Plan.

I am naming the camp ” Cloverdale” or something similar.

I hope those setters are Old Hemlock, Ryman or – ideally – Tekota Mtn Sunrise dogs

Also, only small gauge double guns, fine red wines and appropriately aged brown drinks will be allowed on premises.

And – all dogs will be allowed in the camp and can certainly make themselves comfortable on any vacant piece of comfortable looking furniture. They deserve it after a hards days work in the coverts.

Dog

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Sounds like paradise

Sitting by the fire, looking at tophy head mounts, and plenty of trophy replica fish mounts lining the walls

Grouse_Dog

Quote:

Sounds like paradise

Sitting by the fire, looking at tophy head mounts, and plenty of trophy replica fish mounts lining the walls

We both have the same idea/image about paradise

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like paradise

Yes sir

The only difference is mine would be on the shores of a trophy muskie lake, but it’s only slightly different than yours

Grouse_Dog

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like paradise

Yes sir

The only difference is mine would be on the shores of a trophy muskie lake, but it’s only slightly different than yours

The lakeshore Tax Structure / Amount of acres required would be brutal.

I would prefer to have both….only so much time and money. Hunting for me is about a 60-75 day season. First week in OCT until the snow is 6 inches or more. It is usually a very intense 21 days and then tapers off.

Fishing is all 12 months.

Dog

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

Definitely has the sound of “Paradise” but as a lifelong “beer drinker”…it’s my belief that no tent, trailer, cabin or any type of paradise is complete with a few cold ones in the fridge Congrat’s on what sounds like an incredible place!!!

EH14

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So where abouts is this place? Sounds fantastic.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

First off congrats! Sounds like a great place and your family and friends will enjoy it for many years.

Question on the pole building, will it have windows to overlook a scenic view or will you build all the ambience inside? When I hear pole building, I picture a very rudimentary steel structure such as those on our working farm in ND. But I know today some of those structures can be made with some very nice upgrades to the old pole building.

ET

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds like paradise

Yes sir

The lakeshore Tax Structure / Amount of acres required would be brutal.

I would prefer to have both….only so much time and money. Hunting for me is about a 60-75 day season. First week in OCT until the snow is 6 inches or more. It is usually a very intense 21 days and then tapers off.

Fishing is all 12 months.

Dog

You got that right. Good old Uncle Sam has to get his undeserved piece of the pie too

Grouse_Dog

It will be nice on the inside and not much on the outside. As it is only going to be used for about 2-3 months a season, I really don’t want many windows, doors, etc. The picture window and sliding door out the back – will have a view of the slough. The windows and doors will be “shuttered” with a bear proof cover when we leave. The cover will be fastened with a fabricated tool that I have made so that it would be extremely difficult to pry off.

There won’t be much left – off season – but I think making access so difficult that a person gets exhausted and moves on is the best defense for a vacant building.

The idea for the shutters and special tool came from an episode of Doomsday Preppers.

Inside will be tongue and groove knotty pine on the walls with various pictures, mounts, etc. It will be hunting appropriate.

Dog

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

This does sound like paradise!!I want one!

luckydog2
    The Villages Florida

My brother has a setup similar to what you describe, He is in Kentucky. They broke in by taking the screws out of the steel siding. Something to consider is screws that don’t allow backing out. No problems since he spent about a week (of evenings) removing the old and installing the new.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

That’s got to be a pain in the

What a bummer

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Ive got a couple English Pointers just waiting for an invite old buddy, old pal!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Have fun ! Sounds like you have put alot of thought into it

spd800
    NW Metro

Quote:

560 acres of clover lined trails – full habitat plan filed with DNR that was built off the Recent MN Grouse and Habitat Plan.

I am naming the camp ” Cloverdale” or something similar.

I hope those setters are Old Hemlock, Ryman or – ideally – Tekota Mtn Sunrise dogs

You hunting these grouse off horse back?

Also, only small gauge double guns, fine red wines and appropriately aged brown drinks will be allowed on premises.

And – all dogs will be allowed in the camp and can certainly make themselves comfortable on any vacant piece of comfortable looking furniture. They deserve it after a hards days work in the coverts.

Dog

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.