New Boat Vinal or Carpet

• Greg Selner

I’m planning on buying my first and last fishing boat and would like to know if I should order it with vinal upgrade or just the standard carpeting?
    Is carpeting hard to take care of in a boat?
    Thanks for your help.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Cold wether boating when ice and snow may happen would concern me if vinyl would be slippery.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

As already mentioned if there is a chance that you will fish in freezing weather carpet. I have vinyl and will never go back to carpeting. Unfortunately the platform in the front has carpeting, but I would rather it was vinyl. So much easier to clean and keep clean. And with a bucket in the boat and a bilge pump you can clean it on the water.

Dave Bonjour
    Menomonie Wisc

I’ve had 3 Alumacraft boats 2 with carpeting and my current boat with vinyl, I would never go back to carpet, but then again I don’t fish in freezing weather just my 2 cents

jc3363
    LaCrosse,WI

Vinyl only way to go, you won’t regret it.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Does anyone know if the vinyl actually gets slippey when in ice or snow conditions?

hamms
    Mn

Glad I got a full roll of vinyl in my garage from my buddys dad then. Kind of a darker tan color should go good in my camo boat. Love free stuff! He does it for a living.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Ordered my Lund 1875 ProV with snap-in carpet over vinyl flooring. Don’t know if that is an option you can get Main deck only. Carpet gets dirty, pull it out and hit it with a garden hose.

buckeye

I looked at replacing the carpet in my Lund with vinyl and was advised against it by a place that does this type of repalcement becasue my floor is marine plywood and if water got under the vinyl it would never dry properly and the wood would rot. Something else to think about.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Vinyl is great, at the end of the season Westleys Bleach White, scrub brush, and the garden hose.

Slippery in snow or rain? Maybe it has to do with the footwear. Carpet gets snow that packs, now stuck in the fibers, turns to ice.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I looked at replacing the carpet in my Lund with vinyl and was advised against it by a place that does this type of repalcement becasue my floor is marine plywood and if water got under the vinyl it would never dry properly and the wood would rot. Something else to think about.

Regardless of whether you have vinyl or carpeting, the wood underneath can eventually rot. I’ve had my lund with a vinyl floor since 2004 and the wood under the vinyl has shown no signs of rotting yet.

Being a guide means I have to fish in the rain a lot.

In order to prevent wood rot, always open all storage/compartment doors in the boat and let it air out if you’ve been fishing in the rain or snow. Remove as much of the gear as possible from these compartments when airing them out.

It’s takes a little more time & work to do but your boat floor will last much, much longer if you air it out this way and all the expensive gear stored in these compartments won’t get covered with mold either.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

i ordered vinyl flooring for my 2010 boat and glad i did.
    easy to clean with a pressure washer and still looks like new.
    i was concerned about it being slick in the winter but that hasnt been an issue at all.

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Dont worry about slippery vinyl. Water is not an issue at all…if it was they wouldn’t still be putting it in boats. Ice is slippery regardless if its on vinyl or carpet… I would get the vinyl for sure

Paul Delaney

I have removable snap in carpet in my Ranger and I have not even put it in my new boat. I love having the fiberglass floor exposed it is so much easier to keep clean and wash down. I have a wash down pump in the rear of my boat so as I catch fish or get the floor dirty I can wash the floor down on the water with the wash down hose it is very nice.

Paul Delaney

http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

Chris H

I got snap in carpet in the boat I just ordered, its the best of both worlds!

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

I HEARD VINYL is hot on the feet,any truth to this?

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I HEARD VINYL is hot on the feet,any truth to this?

My vinyl is a light tan color. I’ve never noticed it being hot.
    I’m guessing if it was a dark color that might be more likely.

Greg Selner

Thanks for all the advice.
    I will be ordering it with vinyl.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.