Patent Infringement Fraud

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We have a company who has been contacting me for several months claiming we are infringing upon their patent by providing a wireless network in our offices. The calls are coming from San Francisco from a consulting group. They keep claiming they are going to start litigation if we don’t respond. To this point, I’ve blown them off. A google search of their phone number says it’s a Tanning/Massage Salon in San Fran.

I’m now looking for ideas on how to play around with these guys. Treating them like the run of the mill sales/marketing call just doesn’t seem fitting.

So, what do you guys suggest?

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Talking with a Lawyer is my $.02 suggestion

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d be tempted to file a fraud report with the police in the area where the number is located. Applying any kind of heat to them might be enough to drive them away.

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My first question is how can a wireless network be patented?
    I install them all the time. Dont give them my info!!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

There must be a big scam going on cause i had a simliar call left me a number to called back or they were gonna start a case on me, call the number and it was a resort in north carolina , and i get calls on my cell phone from google places saying i need to update my google places? very irritating.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Consider how much business this generates. Some people go to a lawyer for advice and get charged. Some call the number and some of those might even bite on whatever business is actaully sold. Also just by making a call, that company can add their phone number to a telemarketing list and sell them.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Tell them you would love to pay a licensing fee, but you gave all your profits away to a Saudi prince…..twice.

desperado

but you have a cashiers check from said prince which is for more than their required license fee … so you would be happy to send them said cashiers check if they would wire you back the differnce

BBKK
    IA

I suggest you call them back or contact a lawyer. The number listing on the internet might be wrong.

kooty
    Keymaster

Haha. We are not making wireless equipment or even reselling such equipment. So if my company is illegal because we provide wireless access in our office to staff and guests, well then just call us rebels!!!

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

How to respond to a telemarketer? Keep a whistle by the phone.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Next time they call, speak really softly into the phone. Maybe even cover the phone with your hand so you can barely be heard. They will turn up the volume on their phone so they can hear you. Carry on a conversation with them and lull them into complacence. Then, take your whistle and blow that F’er as loud and as long as you can into the phone.

Temporary deafness usually stops scam calls.

But yeah, I’d probably talk to a lawyer just in case.

desperado

Quote:

well then just call us rebels

well ya might as well go all out then

run around the office with scissors in your hand

and climb the stairs with a sucker-stick in yur mouth

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Haha. We are not making wireless equipment or even reselling such equipment. So if my company is illegal because we provide wireless access in our office to staff and guests, well then just call us rebels!!!

They can still file a lawsuit against you. They wont get any gain, but they can try… that’s part of our rights. Then you are going to have to pay for a lawyer or take time off work to go tell a judge in cali that these people are nuts. If its a scam then one call to them would find out. If not and its a mix-up or mistake on their end its going to cost you time and/or money to fix it if you just ignore it.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Reply that your accountiung department needs to know where to send the money. Give them the FBI’s Mpls. phone number and have them ask for Mary.

That should end things.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Go to White Castle –
    Eat….

Wait by the phone….

Dog

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

I suggest you call them back or contact a lawyer. The number listing on the internet might be wrong.

I called the number. It is indeed a tanning Salon. I picture this lawyer who barely passed the bar but can’t hold a real job sitting at the salon working part time. He’s using company resources to send out fake documents etc…

Sorry, but I just can’t take this serious. At the rate our attorney’s charge, I’ll wait until we are served papers before involving them.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

Somebody is spoofing the salon’s number and calling you. Most likely not even originating in this country.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Maybe ask them for thier state and federal ID numbers. The reason being your lawyer wants to invest some money.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.