when going to a new lake for walleyes

• hawkihot

how do you decide where to fish. What do you look for on the lake map?

seeds
    SE WI

I like deep water jigging. I look for humps and ridges coming out of deep water but not too shallow. Topping out at 25′ to 40′ fow is great.

Flat spots in declining ridges are sometimes great too.

But other guys like tip-ups…Weededges. Points,inside turns… I jig those too sometimes but I really prefer deep jigging….Tip-ups don’t work as well in deep water. I’ll lug’em along (and a bucket of minnows) but seldom use them.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

To me its a lot more complex than just finding suitable habitat on a given lake. I start by defining a lake – deep basin, shallow basin shallower than 18fow max, flowage, river. From there, I apply what habitat is “normal” for that body style of water. Deep basin lakes can have eyes from 2fow to 40 or more, shallow basin lakes tend to be a spread out bite in 4-5 fow, and so on .
    Deep basin, I key on various structure and weeds. Especially if there is fast access to deep water from a weed bed. Then from there, rock piles, reefs, humps, points.
    Shallow basins can be a pai, because of a mass amount of suitable habitat. Generally I focus on weed edges along any deeper water. Maybe a weed edge exists at 5fow and then drops to 7 and becomes a vast open flat with little to no weeds. I’ll search for points or inside pockets in these weed clumps

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.