I’m looking for a crew cab pickup

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

I see 4 I’m interested in: Tundra, F150, Silverado, and the Dodge. Dodge seems the least expensive but I don’t really like the look of them. Toyota’s seem to be the most expensive. I have 4 friends that have one of each and they all like them. I know there are many auto people on here. Help me to make my decision. Tell me which one to get and why please. I am drifting towards the Chevy. I have a light boat to pull with it but want a bigger one in a year or three. I commute to work 5 whole miles. I have two kids 8 years old so I need comfortable seating for 4.

tbrooks11

get a chevy, simply because its a chevy and not a ford or dodge

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

id go chevy as well they seem to be the best on gas and their cost of ownership is less. But if I found a good deal on any of the trucks you listed I would buy it. I like all the newer model trucks.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Are you looking new or used? If you are looking new, realize that the Chevy is the most “outdated”. They are suppose to introduce a new truck this year sometime. I don’t know if it will be a labeled as a 2013 or 2014 though.

I haven’t driven a new Dodge recently, but they certainly look like a worthy candidate. Have fun shopping.

FDR

timmy

FWIW –

I have an ’05 GMC – and it is my third bad GM pickup in a row. Biggest three mistakes I have made in my life as far as vehicles go. Having a close relative selling them is why I bought 3. I won’t buy another.

T

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

FWIW –

I have an ’05 GMC – and it is my third bad GM pickup in a row. Biggest three mistakes I have made in my life as far as vehicles go. Having a close relative selling them is why I bought 3. I won’t buy another.

T

Not trying to be smart. What has been bad with them?

FDR

timmy

On this one(’05 K1500) I am at 85k miles. I have replaced the water pump, power steering pump, ball joints, tie rod ends, and transmission. Passenger door handle is broke, and I have had several spots of rust showing through for the last few years. The fuel cap sensor also went – but at $196 for a local mechanic to change it, I have just driven with the check engine light on for the last year and a half.

On my first one(’98 K1500 with the 305v8), I went through 7 sets of injectors in 75k miles. It left me on the road many times.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I have a 2011 F150 ecoboost super crew with 157″ wheel base, reason I went to Ford is because were the only truck that came in a half ton full crew cab with 6′ box. Chevy is suppose to release a new 14 crew cab 1/2 ton with 6′ box. I have 2 kids 4+2 and plenty of room in the back and plenty of power to pull almost anything.
    I have 47k in 19 months on the truck and like the way it handles and the gas mileage (18 mpg avg).

If I was to buy today it would still be a ford until I am able to see what/if Chevy comes out with the 6′ box on a super crew basically. Dodge looks very nice but doesn’t have the type of truck I was looking for.

Happy Shopping!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Good stuff guys keep it coming. The Hemi has been around for a long time but the gas mileage seems to be lacking. I like the idea of the ecoboost Ford but man they want a lot of cash for something kind of new that hasn’t had enough time to shake the bugs out. I’m looking for new because the used market freaking sucks. For a low mileage rig they want like 2k less than brand new and you never know what axe murder owned it and hauled manure or beat the crud out of it.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I will sell you my ecoboost with topper and new tires. I want a bigger fuel tank and a Fx4.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

On this one(’05 K1500) I am at 85k miles. I have replaced the water pump, power steering pump, ball joints, tie rod ends, and transmission. Passenger door handle is broke, and I have had several spots of rust showing through for the last few years. The fuel cap sensor also went – but at $196 for a local mechanic to change it, I have just driven with the check engine light on for the last year and a half.

On my first one(’98 K1500 with the 305v8), I went through 7 sets of injectors in 75k miles. It left me on the road many times.

OUCH!

desperado

I have an ’06 Duramax crew cab which I have loved driving.
    But I’m sick of buying diesel.
    for the right price you can have it
    IF you can wrestle it away from my BEST WIFE

big_jon

I have a 2011 Ford F-150. It is a company provided vehicle that I get to use for personal use. I grew up a chevy guy, and it was a sad day that they “Made” me get a Ford. I would have to admit I would never go back. Every Chevrolet I have ever owned has some kind of annoying squeek or rattle, or a window with big wind noise….my last 3 Fords are tight. I just have the 302, and can get 16 mpg running E85. Put on about 65k a year….if I had to buy my own today I’d buy a Ford, but consider a Honda if I could give up a little bit of size. I can put 4 300 lb guys in this truck and they all ride comfortably….used to choose to drive this over a suburban because it offered more back seat leg room

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

I have a 04 chevy crew cab and it has been a great truck so far, it has 108,000. The only issue has been a 4-wheel drive sensor, $180. Timmy I am suprised that you had that many issues. I know a lot of guys that have those trucks, they have not had many issues. I like the ride over the Ford and Dodge. My second vote would be Ford. Toyota has good aceleration power but bad gas millage. They have all came a long way as far as power and reliability.

John Luebker

I have a 2012 Dodge crew cab now, I also had a 2009 Dodge quad cab.

They were both nice trucks, the quad is to small if you have kids. The MPG’s range from 14 – 19.5 pending how I drive and where I am going. These are hand calc numbers. I would say my avg is around 14-15 but I do 95% city driving.

When I had the 09 I had a 30 ft camper and I couldn’t get a setup that didn’t sway. I felt it was due to the suspension. I don’t have the camper to test it on the 2012, but it does feel stiffer…

I have’t had any troubles with either but i wouldn’t expect it either since i didn’t/don’t have the miles on them.

Happy shopping

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have 160K on my 06 GM half ton. Best vehicle of my life so far. Routine stuff only. Engine and tranny have been flawless.

JJ Wall
    Chanhassen Minnesota

Personally i would go with a Chevy. my Buddy has an old K2500 with 298,000 miles on it and my dad has an 06 Crew cab 2500HD with 230,000 and shes still strong. Sure parts are going to break and but that happens with every vehicle. Go drive a bunch of different brands and see which one best fits your needs!

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW –

T

Not trying to be smart. What has been bad with them?

FDR

Lol, do a quick search of problems on chevy and gm pickups and you will see. I went from a 2004 Silverado to a 2012 Tundra. The truck is phenominal, the MPG is garbage.

desperado

I say Eskimo Auger, Humminbird sonar, and Shappell shelter

anything else, you’re just wasting money … buying yourself frustration and dissatisfaction

desperado

oh and one more thing
    Redheads are better than blonds or brunettes, so there

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ford seems to have the most room in the crew cab. Compared to everything else, it’s laughable.

huskerdu

Ford the new body style in the f150 has a HUGE back seat/flat floor and decent mileage – I had a 2010 4door 6′ bed and now have a F350 4 door 8′ bed 6.7 diesel – the ride in 1/2 ton cant be beat and have no problems w/fords the last 5 years
    Both have done a great job pulling a 621 Ranger!

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Support America and purchase a GM, Ford, or Mopar. What do you see at construction sites? Mainly the big three.

desperado

oh boy … here we go
    hang on kids … the ride’s just gittin’ good

now grab yer popcorn sit back and enjoy the rest of the show

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Dodge express with a hemi and the new air spring suspension.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

You mentioned your young kids.
    I am driving my 4th F-150. The first two were ‘super-cabs’, these last two are the crew cab, all have been 4×4 or Fx4x4’s, all have been XLT Lariat versions.

My first crew was an ’03. Some on IDO might remember my sons and I had the misfortune of being in a roll over accident while heading up fishing for our annual Father’ Day trip towing my 19′ boat. All were totaled. We walked out through the windshield. (the truck came to rest on it’s side) The cab literally saved out lives. The integrity of the whole vehicle left me amazed. I never had a scratch. Both my sons do, but only little marks on their arms from the windows breaking.
    I now have an 07 super crew XLT Lariat 4×4 with everything (I think) plus some add on options. Both the last two are 5.4 triton, and I now tow a 21 foot glass fishing rig/tandem trailer. Get about 12-14 on the road with it towing, plenty of power. About 16 to 18 just road driving. 12 city. Hugh interior cab, very comfortable.
    I usually buy 2 to 3 year old vehicles, low miles, from dealers I’ve learned to trust, and they know what I’m looking for. I bought the 2007 in 2010, had 28K on it. Zero problems!!! Just turned 60K last week.
    And as I’m sure you know, Ford back away from the table of the Gov’t bailout. Seems to be a solid company to me.
    Good luck.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a 2012 Ram Quad Cab with the 4.7. I have two kids 1 and 7, no problem for them in the quad cab. The cab isn’t as big as the full size crew cabs, but I also wanted a 6-1/2′ box. I hate trying to fit a $200 7′ rod in a 5-1/2′ box, and I really hate having a truck that I have to haul things with a trailer because the box isn’t long enough.

My company also does a lot of business with Chrysler, so I got a great price on my truck. It would’ve cost me $10,000 more to buy the Ford Crew Cab and $8,000 more for the Chevy.

I pull a 16-1/2′ Alumacraft, so the 5500 lb towing capacity is way more than I require. I made a 300 mile round trip to Minneapolis today and got just a hair under 20mpg. My truck only has 1700 miles on it, so the mileage should get a little better as the engine gets broke in more.

Overall, I love it and couldn’t justify that much more money for the extra cab space when my kids and their car seats fit in it fine, and should for a few more years.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Thanks for all of your input. I appreciate it. I’ve never owned a full sized truck before. When I’ve driven friends it feels like an aircaft carrier compared to my little jeep cherokee.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I thought of something else too. I see a lot of 12 models that haven’t are still on the lots. Anything coming that would be worth waiting for?

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I would be hard pressed not to wait for the new chevy with the crew cab and 6 1/2 ft box, think it comes out later this year?. I just got my new truck this fall though, so I don’t think my CFO (wife) is going to approve that one for me.

I also think that GM has a half ton diesel in the works (as does dodge if I’m not mistaken?). Not sure on a date for those though…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.