Everybodys favorite hook-sets

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Whether its feeding the line off a lindy, feeling that weight then WHAM!, or the splash of a topwater, or the little tip tap of a jig then fast and furious hookset, what is everybodys favorite?? That weight on the end of your rod on the initial hookup is almost a drug to me.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Trolling Shallow water Crank Baits

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Light jig + 4″ plastic = awesome walleye hits! That would be my #1 favorite.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Vertical jig and plastic…plink hookset fish on and repeat

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Top water…fly rod bugs and Bass, right at first light.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Musky/northern hit on top water jerk baits, when the water is calm and the sun just coming up/down.

Al

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Its got to be the concussion you get when a flathead hammers a bullhead. You can wait hours or days for that, so when it happens, it is jarring.

greg_r
    Woodbury MN

#10 Crazy Charlie in the dead of a Minnesota winter. 150 yards of backing gone in seconds….

brett-king

Shallow plastics bite is a hoot anticipation for the thunk and then destroy em with a hook set. Although getting bit while fishing a 5-8 in chub has a way of sending blood to certain parts of my body as well kind of like a blue pill date. . Ya can’t help but think how big is this eye that just clamped on.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Quote:

#10 Crazy Charlie in the dead of a Minnesota winter. 150 yards of backing gone in seconds….

This one is on the bucket list!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

All of the above!!

ajs
    Mellen,WI

The tick when your snap jigging is favorite hit and set.
    Ajs

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Holding the rod while trolling or three-waying and the fish just SLAMS the lure almost ripping the rod out of your hands

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Great minds think a like….

The twitch, pause, twitch, twitch, pause, twitch, twitch, the heart stopping explosion of water and weeds, as bass hits a frog in a field of lilly pads in the first light of a calm summer morning.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

All of the above!!

Well, obviously.

My second favorite bite might be short lining carp. Fishing on a bank only a few yard out mean you better pay attention or no more pole.

coxaaa
    Northern IA

Has to be that rod shaking tap a walleyes delivers on a slowly falling plastic. Where ya see it bounce on your line a split second before you even feel it!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

When the bobber goes down on Lake Mendota and you set hook and the fish doesn’t move or goes the other way. that few seconds when the bobber goes down and you genly take up slack knowing it is a big hoss. truly though the best bite by far is the next one…

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Light jig + 4″ plastic = awesome walleye hits! That would be my #1 favorite.

Someway I need to be able to add this to the memory banks.

My jig fishing is about as accurate as a certain Vikings QB.

It just that when I do accidently hook one with a jig, it feels like they are sucking it in with a straw.

I want THUNK!

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

pitching or steady retrieve casting with some sort of plastic and feeling a walleye just thunk it and sending a big hookset has to be my favorite. just something about the walleyes hit a plastic bait.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

slowly watching a thill float going under on a crappie bite

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The second you realize you are hooked up good with 60+ inch sturgeon!

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Only one thing better than a fat walleye slamming a crank, is jigging a minnow for hammerheads!

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

My fav would be vertical jigging but coaxing an eye along on a lindy is pretty cool.
    Second would be any great lake action that makes the reel clicker scream.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Fishing bullheads for flats and picking up a screaming clicker run, set the hook, and the rod stops halfway up. Is it next summer now?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The 10 O’clock hook set is something that has to be experienced!

‘Course when Stuart set the hook on a flat and it brought him to his knees, that was pretty awesome as well!

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

You cant beat trolling raps at 2 MPH and having a walleye almost rip the rod out of your hand.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

For Me it HAS to be a “Graboid” as I call it. Lindy Riggin’ and I feel dead weight for a second and a WHOOOM headshake turn of a walleye. It’s that anticipation of whether or not it’s bottom or a weed but I’m not sure. The bang leaves no doubt!

A close second would be trolling shallow water #5raps at night. Todododododododo not much going on and BANG! Love that too.

Jake_A

Has to be ice fishing for aggressive crappies in deeper water. Watching them fly up from the depths as the jig drops and then all of a sudden the line goes slack-then ya hammer ’em!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I love them all…But I had about a 48″ Musky explode a bass frog a few years back. The most vicious strike I have ever experienced in fresh water so far.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Oh I have another more subtle one. When lifting a plastic worm or jig and letting it fall back to the bottom, you realize something grabbed it on the drop and is swimming sideways or toward you. You rear back and there isn’t much give.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.