16 year old’s 1st car search.

• chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Man! I am amazed at the cost of driving for these young kids! My daughter is working at a Subway, and she has saved up $400 and she was told by her mom’s insurance agency that she must pay $200 a month just for insurance. Not sure if it is liability or full coverage..And a short term car payment on an older car would be about $300/mp for a $3k or so car. That is a rip off. So I am looking for a good car with few items that may need fisxing (Like brakes and tires) for a decent price. (Mom& Dad will be chipping in. ) I have always found that buying from friends is always cheaper than buying from a dealer. I am talking about beaters here, not new cars so no need for any of you dealers to get upset! If anyone knows of anything, please shoot me a PM if you would.
    Thanks!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Sorry to hyjack your thread tuck. does anybody know the dealers name in Hudson that is an ido member at the Ford dealership there

luv2rapala

Sorry Brian- Chris you got mail

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Man! I am amazed at the cost of driving for these young kids! My daughter is working at a Subway, and she has saved up $400 and she was told by her mom’s insurance agency that she must pay $200 a month just for insurance. Not sure if it is liability or full coverage..And a short term car payment on an older car would be about $300/mp for a $3k or so car. That is a rip off. So I am looking for a good car with few items that may need fisxing (Like brakes and tires) for a decent price. (Mom& Dad will be chipping in. ) I have always found that buying from friends is always cheaper than buying from a dealer. I am talking about beaters here, not new cars so no need for any of you dealers to get upset! If anyone knows of anything, please shoot me a PM if you would.
    Thanks!!

It would probably be closer to $300 a month if she were a boy.

red89
    Hudson

craigslist is the way to go. Dealers try to get thousands for junk cars with 200,000 miles.

I look pretty much everyday. Have seen a few early 90’s toyotas under $2000 with around 100,000 miles that probably would of made pretty decent commuter cars.

Go on a website for an insurance company like progressive and you can get quotes online really easy.

drew-evans
    rochester MN

check progressive i shoped around they are the cheapest and i have had claims through them with no hick ups everything was taken care of on my end and other person involved end in accedents end, other person even wrote me a thank you letter on how fast there repairs to there vehicle were taken care of. and as for finding a car just watch thing like craigs list and keep asking aroun have bout three beaters in 10 years all for less than 300 dallers all for work cars and they all have lasted me one a deer took out one just finally had to many thing to repair sold it for 100 bucks and im still driving a mazda i got for 100 bucks. geo prizoms are good toyota tercel was good to me damn deer wrecked that one. now the mazda has held up for a while even with 300 plus thousand miles.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

If you still make occasional trips down here Chris, I have a friend who owns a car lot and he checks out everything on his lot and fixes whats wrong, you can get a good used car from him for around a $1000. Try American family, both ours and ours daughters was $110 a month and she drove a deville, but thats also down here.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And what’s wrong with giving up your mustang?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here is some good advice. Do not let her sit in a corvette like I did with Jonathan over the weekend. Jonathan’s pretty sure he is getting a Corvette for his first car now. Even told me he would’t go that fast in it.

dave-barber
    St Francis, MN

We had a car ready for when daughter turned 16. 2004 Impala that was the wife’s car… paid off. Unfortunately… tranny was going out. Luckily, she has a grandpa that goes through vehicles like dirty underwear… he buys cars at auction…. then finds another car at the next auction, and so on. She is now driving a 2008 Sonata that she is paying her grandpa for (got a dang good deal… $5k for a $13k car).

Unfortunately… every other day she is on craigslist looking at mustangs and chargers and camaros, etc. She THINKS she is getting a sports car. LOL.. she doesn’t realize she needs to finish paying grandpa for the car first… and then will be paying her own insurance on a sports car.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

We gave our kids the choice,
    We pay ½ of the Insurance on the “GOOD STUDENT” Rate.
    We provided a beater with them knowing any damage, they were responsible to repair.

My daughter wanted her own car, so she went and bought one from a friend with her own money from working. First 3-all had the grades, the youngest was a slacker, but had more than enough ability to have all “A’s”, yet pushed the limits always.

Youngest learned the cost of slacking when he had to pay either $800 per 6-months as a secondary driver on wife’s car. But, not wanting him driving her 4-yo car and losing her freedom to come and go when & if need we bought a beater (92 Tempo) for $700, so his Insurance was $600 due to his grades. When he got his grades up, his Insurance dropped to $300 which was equal then to our share, this was in 2004.

Our kids learned the value of the good student discount; it has helped them in college having the study habits. Doing it this way taught the kids responsibility, they knew the cost and paid all gas and car upkeep including keeping it clean.

I taught (Forcibly) each how to change a tire and how to change the oil and the need to also grease/lube the car. They all then gladly paid to have oil & lube done at a dealer or Rapid Oil or other quick change business.

Good Luck

FryDog62

Under age 25 – think safety. Old beaters without modern safety equipment (anti-lock brakes, airbags, SUV’s without stability control, etc) are not a good combination IMO. Eventually most younger drivers will run into something or cause an accident.

I have 3 teenagers and have decided to lease a base model Honda Accord for $200/mo. Reliable, always starts, 5 star safety rating and less likely to roll than an SUV. They have to keep grades above 3.0 and work part-time to pay for gas, deductible if in an accident. I have better peace of mind.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Here is some more good advice, it actually can help to have “friends” AT a dealership. First and foremost, I would want a vehicle from someone I could trust, to put my daughter in.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Here is some more good advice, it actually can help to have “friends” AT a dealership.

Know anyone?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nope

PowerFred

you are definately better off getting her a car of her own, instead of having her as a second driver on one of yours. Get an older Buick, they run forever and are cheap to insure. Not that kids like 1996 Buick LeSabre’s, but they last forever and have the best engine GM ever made. Plus, they ride nice!

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

And what’s wrong with giving up your mustang?

Traded it in on a pickup!

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Quote:

you are definately better off getting her a car of her own, instead of having her as a second driver on one of yours. Get an older Buick, they run forever and are cheap to insure. Not that kids like 1996 Buick LeSabre’s, but they last forever and have the best engine GM ever made. Plus, they ride nice!

X2

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I sold an 01 Century to one of my sons with a buck sixty on it and he is still driving it with over 2-hundo!

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

I was 14 the first time they searched my car, problem was the car wasn’t mind. But what do you expect if you leave a chevy running outside the Village Bar on Front St in St.Paul?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I was 14 the first time they searched my car,

Was that the first time they caught you stocking bass?

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

My whole life now is the pursuit of getting all my fishing friends to wear tie-dye socks. Opp’s you said stocking, not socks.

corey_waller
    hastings mn

Give me a call here Tuck. I will get you taken care of AGAIN!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.