short timer

• Whiskerkev
    Madison

Well after going 0 for 11 this year on job interviews, I finally scored. Then I made the mistake of giving my employer 3.5 weeks of notice. I will never do that again. For someone who didn’t deserve a raise for the last 5 years, apparently I had a lot of value and was a bargain for some. Now they had their hands tied a bit but didn’t really try to keep me. Now I have a fat raise, cheaper parking, job is closer to home, and a cool boss. I’ve already been approved off for my spring Red Wing trip and all is right with the world. Go Badgers!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Closer to home = more time on the magic lake!

Congrats Kev!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome! Take advantage of it!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

It gets better Doug, I can see most of my fishing spots from my office Window and the job is half way to the boat landing… It will take me a while to dig out of the hole I am in but once I do, a newer truck and boat are already approved by my warden.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

First off, Congrats on moving your career up!

But why won’t you give your job a 3.5 week notice again?

I gave one employer a weekend notice, not because I wanted to but because my new employer needed me on the following Monday…and I’ll never do that again. It was the first sign of how the business was run.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

As an employer one question I ask during the interview is………..
    “If hired how soon can you start?”

If I get the immediately answer it is a red flag. I expect the courtesy of a notice when somebody leaves here. I would never hire somebody who was willing to walk on their currant employer with no notice. But, that’s just how I do things, others see it differently.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Congrats to you and best of luck with the new job I hope it works out ten times better than you expect

DrewH
    s/w WI.

That is great. Good luck in the future.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

All good news Kev.
    Your perseverance finally paid off.

And congratulations!

Now get back to work. The governor needs you!

swlund
    Cuba City, WI

Way to go & good luck with new job.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

As an employer one question I ask during the interview is………..
    “If hired how soon can you start?”

If I get the immediately answer it is a red flag. I expect the courtesy of a notice when somebody leaves here. I would never hire somebody who was willing to walk on their currant employer with no notice. But, that’s just how I do things, others see it differently.

I accepted a job earlier this week. When my new employer asked me when I could start I told him I made a promise to give 30 days notice and I intended to stand by my promise. It was nice to hear he respected me for making that statement.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

2 wks is pretty standard so when you gave 3.5 wks you were very generous.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Quote:

Well after going 0 for 11 this year on job interviews, I finally scored. Then I made the mistake of giving my employer 3.5 weeks of notice. I will never do that again. For someone who didn’t deserve a raise for the last 5 years, apparently I had a lot of value and was a bargain for some. Now they had their hands tied a bit but didn’t really try to keep me. Now I have a fat raise, cheaper parking, job is closer to home, and a cool boss. I’ve already been approved off for my spring Red Wing trip and all is right with the world. Go Badgers!

Fantastic! Congrats on the great turn of events!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Congrats Kev. Great News.

Well everything but the go Badgers part

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.