Live Well problem

• irishman

I recently bought a used Lind Fisherman. My first real fishing boat. The screen for the intake for the live well was missing. So I replaced it. But then I found that the live well does not fill, water just dribbles in. I have tried flushing the lines with water and air, from the intake and from the live well side. I did blow some weeds out the backend with the air. But the live well still does not fill. I can hear the pump running, so I think the pump is ok. What should I do next? I was thinking of renting a toilet bowl type snake and running it up the intake line to see if I have some other blockage. I have a front and back live well. What do you think?

minnesota_tom
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have the same boat. Look inside the livewell and loosen the adjustable water inlet. Mine is plastic and can be adjusted from full flow, to closed. That should do it.

Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Just because the pump is running doesn’t mean the impeller is pushing water. I’d pull the pump and check this first, Could be wrapped in line.

kroger3
    blaine mn

sounds like the impeller in the pump may be shot. the fins break up over time or the impeller can come loose from the shaft if used in freezing temps. remove the pump and turn it on to see if the impeller spins.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Quote:

I have the same boat. Look inside the livewell and loosen the adjustable water inlet. Mine is plastic and can be adjusted from full flow, to closed. That should do it.

Check the adjustable flow valve first before pulling any pumps!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Quote:

^^^What he said! It takes longer to climb in the boat then it does to check that valve. I had the same problem.

irishman

I have removed the adjustable valves inside the live wells and that did not improve the flow. I will check the motor and impeller next.

I am thinking of doing some of this late fall fishing, in cold temps. I am concerned that I am going to freeze the live well pump/impeller. Are there any tricks to dry that area out once I pull the boat out of the water?

Regarding the motor: I have been advised to also lower the motor and pull the dead man switch, then hit the starter. I guess that turns the intake impeller on the four Stroke Honda, to clear it of water. Does that make sense?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

This gets talked about a lot…. I just lower and let it drain… I personally do not turn the motor over without water being supplied.

On the livewell, does the front tank fill? I have the same boat and am pretty sure they both run off the same pump, hence the closing valves in each location. If the front fills, I would think you have a line issue for the rear only.

redneck
    Rosemount

IF your valves are clear and your pump is running then I would bet that your impeller has spun on the shaft. The impeller is plastic and it and the shaft it goes on have a flat spot that is like a key. If you get a piece of wood or debris or whatever sucked into the pump it binds up the impeller and it spins on the shaft. I know a few years back I went into a local marine dealer and the nice lady looked up in the book and we found the part number for the impeller and I ordered a half dozen at about 3 bucks apiece. I am about out and need to do that again this winter.

Bassn Dan

Since the valve adustment didn’t work, and there were weeds in your intake line it’s likely that there are weeds, fishing line, etc. caught in your pump. Some pumps can be disassembled for cleaning, otherwise replace it with a similar output pump (i.e. 500 GPM, 750 GPM, etc.)

Good luck and enjoy your new boat!

Dan

mike_leclaire
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

^^^What he said! It takes longer to climb in the boat then it does to check that valve. I had the same problem.

irishman

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. You people are a great resource! Thank you…..

irishman

I opened up the round black cover and found the bilge pump. I looks like the aerator pump is further in, attached to the back of the boat near the intake port. The problem is that a hose, from that pump, is on top of the pump, between me and the pump. That prevents me from getting a grip on that pump. It looks like I need to remove the hose to get a hand on the pump to twist it open. I assume it twists open.
    Am I on track?

redneck
    Rosemount

I have an explorer and my live well pump has a little tab on the edge of the bottom. You push down on the tab and turn the motor a quarter turn or less and it pops free. Can’t remember where my hose is but I never had to take it off. Hope this helps.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.