New phone time…. Apple or Droid

• Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

My contract is up in late August, great post, I have a Droid 2, love the slide keyboard, but like the larger screen with the Galaxy SII!

sandmannd

Android all the way. Just upgraded to an HTC EVO LTE with 4.7″ screen and it’s awesome. The iPhone’s are great phones as well. The thing between the two is I don’t like being told what I can and can’t put on my phone, which is the iPhone. Android is way more customizable.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Didn’t you guys ever see the Futurama episode “Attack of the Killer App”?!

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

are any phones water proof yet? with all the apps for on the water use, it would be nice to have a phone that can withstand a rainy day on the lake

Lifeproof sells a case for the i-phone that is waterproof…but it’s expensive. It doesn’t add much bulk to the phone though which is nice. You would need an charging port extension to use it on anything you would dock the phone too, but that’s not a huge deal. Also, if you use the earphone plug a lot you need to unscrew the cover for that port and use an screw in adapter to keep is water tight. Just more messing around but that is what it will take to make a phone waterproof.

Best Buy has them for $80, but they matched Amazon price at $56 for me a few weeks ago. Nice knowing I don’t need to worry about rain or it getting splashed. I wanted it for protection and don’t plan on submerging it to use the camera in the water, but you can.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

My contract is up in late August, great post, I have a Droid 2, love the slide keyboard, but like the larger screen with the Galaxy SII!

I went from the first gen Droid (first gen as Droid with nothing after it like II, III, HD, etc) to the S3…I love the screen and don’t miss the keyboard.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Tom I have no personal experience with either phone but our pastor has had both phones, he had a droid and now has the iphone and he likes the Droid better. My daughter is bugging me for an iphone, had a Verizon rep tell me that personally he would not have an iphone just because they are very expensive to fix if you break one.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

On that note, I would recommend the $7.99 a month insurance on any of these high end phones. Assurion has been a breeze to work with. I average a claim a month over the 50 devices I manage.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

The wife and I just upgraded to the HTC EVO 4G LTE a couple months ago and we both really like them. It is fast, takes great pictures and comes preloaded with piles of apps.

Something to consider is getting your phone through Best Buy, I got the geek squad protection plan insteand of the monthly plan through Sprint and by paying for it up front it came out a couple bucks a month cheaper and it covers far more than the Sprint warranty does. They also offer a buy back program with a guaranteed amount they will buy your phone back from you to put toward a new phone when the 2 yr contract expires. Seemed like a good idea because I have my last 3 phones lying around the house taking up space, I’m not sure what to do with them other than chuck them.

Just my opinion….I know not everyone has had good luck with Best Buy but I have been very happy with them and the service I get when I am there.

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

iPhone for sure! -yes wait til September for the 5 (jealous)
    Reasons from the heart:
    #1 iPhones have Stood the test of time. Other companies it seems like they invent these supposed NEW EASIER & BETTER versions but that doesn’t mean they will last.
    #2 easy and simple technology -that works
    #3 that green droid gremlin is nauseating

If you get one take a few days and play around and get familiar before you know it – you’re and expert!

Remember to keep your iPhone out of your pocket when fishing, accidentally falling in the water and taking you phone swimming is no good. Insurance nor apple care cover water damage.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Insurance nor apple care cover water damage.

Look into an Assurion policy. They cover EVERYTHING! I have had guys drop them while riding Harely, lose them, soak them in a lake, all covered. I guess we haven’t tried burning one yet.

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I was more happy with my old blackberry then my new droid. My next phone will not be a droid thats for sure.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Thanks for the input everyone. Now…can you tell me, Chevy or Dodge…???

I believe I’ll wait until Sept. for the iPhone5 and then make a decision.

Thanks again!

milemark_714

Quote:

I was more happy with my old blackberry then my new droid. My next phone will not be a droid thats for sure.

I am feeling the same here,the droid locks-up,and Verizon accidentally deleted my pics/contacts .I think the facebook app was the culprit.Battery life is not that good.I liked my old flip-style phone better.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

#3 that green droid gremlin is nauseating

Where is the IDO Unlike button?

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Just my opinion….I know not everyone has had good luck with Best Buy but I have been very happy with them and the service I get when I am there.

X2 on Best Buy I got out last phones there and was very happy with there service. The other nice thing about Best Buy is when there is a rebait on a phone they give that to you on the spot, no red tape filling out paper work and sending it in and waiting six weeks to get your money back in the form of a debit card. Also most may know this but you can go with any provider with best buy.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Insurance nor apple care cover water damage.

Look into an Assurion policy. They cover EVERYTHING! I have had guys drop them while riding Harely, lose them, soak them in a lake, all covered. I guess we haven’t tried burning one yet.

X2

I have it. I could have used it for my old Droid when I dropped it and cracked a corner of the screen. I didn’t bother, but it is nice to no that if I do something like drop it in the water it will be replaced.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Look into an Assurion policy

What is the monthly cost? Or does that depend on what phone you have?

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

7.99 a month for 24 months = 190 bucks…then what is the deductible?
    …and I thought it went up for the higher end smart phones to around 15.00 a month, and 200 deductible for the iphone on verizon…

cheaper for me to get the square trade warranty…only thing they will not cover is loss, but with find my iphone…I really don’t worry about loosing it…
    My SIII crashed for the first time…less than a week old?!?!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

7.99 a month for 24 months = 190 bucks…then what is the deductible?
    …and I thought it went up for the higher end smart phones to around 15.00 a month, and 200 deductible for the iphone on verizon…

cheaper for me to get the square trade warranty…only thing they will not cover is loss, but with find my iphone…I really don’t worry about loosing it…
    My SIII crashed for the first time…less than a week old?!?!

Was it the Touchwiz that caused the crash? I had the same thing happen about a week or 2 after getting mine. I think it was a barometer app I installed. In any event, I pulled the battery and put it back in and that wiped all the caches and solved it.

Like I said, that was with Touchwiz which is Samsungs proprietary home screen. I kind of like it, but most people don’t. I wish that phone manufacturers would not try dumping that stuff on there, but then again I wouldn’t have all the other goodies Samsung put on their phone.

There is no deductible. The only negative I know is that they will replace it with a refurbished phone if possible. Don’t quote me until Kooty chimes in.

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Quote:

Look into an Assurion policy

What is the monthly cost? Or does that depend on what phone you have?

We pay 7.99 a month with a $90.00 deductible on all phones but the iPhone. Those are $200.00. Why, I have no clue. YOU MUST PUT THIS POLICY ON AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE!!!

One claim in a 24 month period will cost you roughly $280.00. Good luck finding a new replacement for that cost on any of the phones discussed above.

I have no doubt the Droid based phones will slow down over time. People end up loading them up with garbage/poorly developed apps. It’s crazy how this sector of the technology world is advancing. The hardware, operating system and applications can’t keep up with each other.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I just wanted to thank everyone for the input on the phone. I made the purchase and picked up a Droid RAZR MAXX. This post was made from my new phone and I look forward to 2 happy years with it.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

I just wanted to thank everyone for the input on the phone. I made the purchase and picked up a Droid RAZR MAXX. This post was made from my new phone and I look forward to 2 happy years with it.

Good choice! I’ve had my Droid Razr Maxx for 4 months and love it. You are going to like the battery it goes 3-4 days between charges with average use.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

You are going to like the battery it goes 3-4 days between charges with average use.

That is amazing. That’s my one beef with my Evo.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Apple hater.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The battery was almost why I got the Razor, but I can live with having a separate charger in my truck, at work and at my house for my SIII in exchange for what I consider slightly better hardware. I almost held out for the Razor HD.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

If I remember correctly Mr. Donaldson, you called me a few non appropriate names when I got my smart phone. Welcome too the club douche bag

Viewing 27 posts - 31 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.