New phone time…. Apple or Droid

• blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Just looking for some input on the new(est) phones on the market.

Thanks in advance.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

HTC one X, or Samsung galaxy 3. Enough said. 4.7 inch screen, ice cream sandwich, ok im goona stop now cuz i could go on and on.
    Would NEVER go back to an i phone after having a 4 for 2 years.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Android, all the way. More choice is a good thing and why chain yourself to the Evil Empire and have Apple decide what apps should be made available to you? Get an android and you have full control.

If you’re seriously considering an iPhone, the iPhone 4 has just been moved to “discounting” status because the 5 is due in early fall. Don’t buy the 4 if you’re going to be disappointed when the 5 comes out just a few weeks later.

I’ve heard good things about the new Motorola, most specifically that the extended battery life is awesome. That’s the one issue with all smartphones or any brand right now. It sucked going from charging every 5 days to charging every 5 hours.

Grouse

dragon_em_in

I’ve had both. The iPhone is by far much more reliable and dependable. THe droid works great, but the system degrades over time and the phones just get slower and slower. I’ve had my iphone for as long as I’ve had some of my droids, it doesn’t crash, doesn’t act weird, and just plain works.

Dragon ‘Em In

johnlaqua
    Pool 3/Pool 4

if you go iphone, i hope you never go to a website that requires a flash plug in, apple doesnt have flash support….ouch

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Got my Samsung Galaxy SIII. I love it.

Personally, I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but if you go Android, make sure you are looking at the SIII or maybe the Motorola Razor Maxx.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Droid all the way….I recently got a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx with Ice Cream Sandwich. It is a great phone with excellent battery life (20 hours talk time/5-7 days standby) and great call quality (Verizon). I can recommend with confidence.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Wait for the iPhone 5 coming out in the fall! That,s what I am doing

mfreeman451

I agree with the poster about the iPhone, but Android is an open platform and that makes it pretty powerful.

Quote:

I’ve had both. The iPhone is by far much more reliable and dependable. THe droid works great, but the system degrades over time and the phones just get slower and slower. I’ve had my iphone for as long as I’ve had some of my droids, it doesn’t crash, doesn’t act weird, and just plain works.

Dragon ‘Em In

mfreeman451

Flash will be dead, Steve Jobs was right for not supporting that awful plugin on their web browser. Android might run the flash player but it doesn’t run it very well.

Quote:

if you go iphone, i hope you never go to a website that requires a flash plug in, apple doesnt have flash support….ouch

kroger3
    blaine mn

When the trolling bible app finally comes out it will be in Apple format and not Android.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

When the trolling bible app finally comes out it will be in Apple format and not Android.

Interesting. Is this rumor or fact?

FDR

kroger3
    blaine mn

Quote:

Quote:

Interesting. Is this rumor or fact?

FDR

Posted on there Facebook page today.

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Android might run the flash player but it doesn’t run it very well.

At least it runs it.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Flash isn’t dead yet, although Adobe open sourced it and is done with it. It’ll be at least 5 years before HTML 5 can do everything flash can and has comparable dev tools.

Apple better hope it can take back marketshare with the next iPhone.

The nice thing about a top of the line android phone is you don’t have to buy a new phone for an OS upgrade. Android will always be ahead in that respect.

Also, android is far more appealing from a developers point of view.

I am not a fence sitter. No way I will ever get anything but an android phone. Just saying for some people, an iPhone works.

pool13_jeff
    NW, IL

My team is responsible for supporting the mobile devices for our organization. I have had multiple Droids and ALWAYS come back to the Iphone. That Galaxy SIII intrigues me, but I haven’t had one.

Quote:

Key word there is finally…This app was supposed to be available early June and were still waiting..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

My team is responsible for supporting the mobile devices for our organization. I have had multiple Droids and ALWAYS come back to the Iphone. That Galaxy SIII intrigues me, but I haven’t had one.

It is 338 certified
    If security is a concern for you.

I added my work Exchange account and have had no problems.

One thing to consider with Android is the next release of the OS (Jellybean) is geared toward performance and making the OS run faster.

I think what you will be seeing now with smart phones is a lot of Siri type gimmicks. The S3 has a bunch of motion type gimmicks. I use about half.

The speech to text coupled with G4 is awesome. It converts your speech to text in real time. No more saying a couple sentences, having it sent to the server and come back with text.

Still waiting to get my Tectiles . They are sold out. You will be seeing these for devices in the future. These are stickers you program and then when you set your phone on them they will do whatever you programmed.

Here’s a list of things you can do:

Change Phone Settings
    Make a tag to set your phone up the way you like it when you get to work, or when you get in your car. You can even set an alarm time for a bedside tag. You can set individual settings, or combine settings to optimize your phone for your location – at home, at work, in the car, or other places.

Launch an App
    Make a tag to launch any app you have on your phone. You can even set music volume for music players or internet radio applications.

Join a WiFi Network
    Make a tag that will connect a phone to your WiFi network. Great for visitors to scan when they arrive!

Show a Message
    Make a tag that shows a message to whoever scans it.

Make a Call
    Make a tag that’ll bring up the phone ready to make a call to the number you choose. This is the ‘Call Mom’ tag.

Send a Text Message
    Make a tag that’ll send an SMS to the number you choose. This is the ‘Honey, I’m Home’ tag.

Share a Contact
    Make a tag that shares a contact’s details. Great as a way to exchange business cards.

Start a Google Talk Conversation
    Make a tag which will start a Google Talk conversation with the Google Talk user that you choose.

Show an Address or Location
    Make a tag that’ll bring up a map of an address or location.

Foursquare Check In
    Make a tag that checks the reader into the Foursquare venue that you choose. Put this tag on your reception desk or next to your register. Lock the tag to ensure everyone checks in to your business.

Facebook Places Check In
    Make a tag that checks the reader into the Facebook Place that you choose. Put this tag on your reception desk or next to your register. Lock the tag to ensure everyone checks in to your business.

Open a Web Page
    Make a tag that shows a web page.

Update Facebook Status
    Make a tag that updates the Facebook status of the reader.

Facebook Like
    Make a tag so the reader can Like the link you supply.

Tweet a Status
    Make a tag which will tweet the message you choose.

Follow a Twitter User
    Make a tag which will let the reader follow the Twitter user you choose.

Connect on LinkedIn
    Make a tag which will connect the reader with the LinkedIn user you choose

cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

Have been going back and forth between At&t and Verizon…unfortunately our only choices in northern WI. Anyway, have had the Samsung Galaxy 3 with both companies and it performed poorly. I think this is the worst reception I have ever had with any phone. My Walmart Straight talk phone got twice the reception. I am bringing it back to try the Droid Razr Maxx.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

-Who uses a phone to talk to people?

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I phone 5 in September wife works at best buy dealing with all the phones. By far I phone has less issues than any other phone. When or if you have a problem apple takes care of you. We both have iPhones and never looked back.

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

Got my galaxySlll last Friday. Awesome machine. Droid smokes iPhone.

hnd

used iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, now using iphone 4. our developers and tech team are slowly moving to android namely the galaxy SIII. i’ll be making the switch when our contracts expire. all 3 of my iphones have had multiple issues so i’m not sure how they have more reliability.

the iphone 5 will probably bunny hope the sIII until the next android drops.

danno
    Central MN

Quote:

Still waiting to get my Tectiles . They are sold out. You will be seeing these for devices in the future.

Aren’t they just NFC tags? They are available now and work with a lot of phones…even Blackberry.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have an iphone, and currently have an SIII…I have went through multiple droids…multiple droid 2’s..multiple droid x’s…etc etc..
    I have had one iphone…it works. The SIII is pleasing, however, if it slows and sputters like every other droid…it will be just another droid..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Aren’t they just NFC tags? They are available now and work with a lot of phones…even Blackberry.

Yes. I guess I just don’t want to go with a third party tag/app.

I’d like to get together with you S3 users. I’d like to test some of the sharing features like S-Beam and AllShare. There are a few things that would be awesome if everyone had a S3. It sucks that I left my last job just as they got an AllShare compatible Samsung TV.

Have you found the Buddy Photo Share to work well?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I vote iPhone. Haven’t tried a droid. Email, music and web browsing. Hasn’t failed me yet

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I vote iPhone. Haven’t tried a droid. Email, music and web browsing. Hasn’t failed me yet

Why fix what isn’t broken.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If you want a phone that’s proven and is great for music, then the iPhone is for you. If you plan to browse a lot, then stick with Droid. You have many choices in 4G category. We have been rolling out the Maxx recently. Love this phone so far. By far the best Droid I’ve owned.

We also support a couple iPhones. They are pretty much bullet proof and very good devices. The lack of flash support surprising bites you more often than one would think. So I sold my iPad. Either way, you are buying quality products, just depends on your needs.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

are any phones water proof yet? with all the apps for on the water use, it would be nice to have a phone that can withstand a rainy day on the lake

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.