Tried a New to us Fry Mix

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have used a lot of coatings for frying with, Frying Magic, Shore Lunch, SturdiWheat and homemade. The wife and I love to mix things up and try different seasonings so the taste buds don’t get bored. The other day we purchased Zatarain’s crispy southern fish fri and fell in love with the stuff. The wife’s palate doesn’t care for hot and spicy but, this mix she woofed right down.
    We even fried zucchini in it and that was awesome. We plan on trying deep fried shrooms next along with using the mix in the wife’s recipe for Red Beans and rice.
    I’m sure there are many out there that have used the stuff but for those that have not, I recomend you put it on your list of things to try. At a $1.50 for a box you can’t go wrong.
    Just passing the word!

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

I’m a big Zatarin’s guy myself. I should probably buy the red and black beans and rice by the pallet. Never tried the frying products, but will give it a shot!

What kind of fish were you frying? Walleye?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Thanks for the review. I have a few sunnies in the fridge that might need some of that.

wheels2
    Ham Lake,MN

Who carries it?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

One of my wifes favorite mixes also.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Looks good, I’m going to have to try it.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Stop it! That picture made me REAL HUNGRY!!!
    It’s now on my list as I’ve never treid nor heard of it.
    Thanks

slipbobnick
    MN

my mouth is watering.

whichever mix you like throw in a handful of shredded cocanut amazing

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

What kind of fish were you frying? Walleye?

Bluegills.

Quote:

Who carries it?

We purchased it at Wal-Mart but I’m sure others carry it.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

I’m a big Zatarin’s guy myself. I should probably buy the red and black beans and rice by the pallet. Never tried the frying products, but will give it a shot!

The red/black beans and rice is amazing stuff.

For the fish breading, I’ll continue to support the local company, though. I love the little bit of sweetness in the Sturdiwheat.

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

Zatarains is my favorite fish breading. They also make a cajun version that is awesome. Plus, it’s so easy. Just make sure the fillets are a little wet, and throw them in a bag with this stuff. Delicious!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Zatarains is my favorite fish breading. They also make a cajun version that is awesome. Plus, it’s so easy. Just make sure the fillets are a little wet, and throw them in a bag with this stuff. Delicious!

I did dip my filets in milk then rolled in the seasoning. If you like the batter thicker you could give them an egg wash first.

Is the cajun hot. If so for the wife I would have to pass

c_hof
    New Richmond, WI

I have never tried milk or an egg wash with it. I might have to try it once to see if it adds anything. I just rinse the fillets in water, put them in a ziplock bag with the zatarains and shake. Then I put them directly into the fryer. Makes very little mess that way.

The cajun does have some kick. I have the same issue with the wife, so I haven’t had it for a while, but it’s very good.

Now that I look at their website, I don’t see the cajun on it. Maybe they don’t make it anymore. Like I said, it’s been a while.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

try soaking the fillets in a stout or dark beer for about a half hour, then bread. Gives them a wonderful malt taste.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We are always looking for new stuff to try as well. I will definitely give this one a try. Right now our go-to coatings are Andys and Drakes but its time for something new. Thanks.

blufloyd

ok go get some Andy’s Red now do not get Andy’s Cajun get the Red.

Drain fillets and shake in bag of Andy’s let set till coating is wet.
    Really good…..

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Bret Did you say RED BEANS and RICE…….YUM…..rrr

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Zatarans is the best, been using it for years. Most Sam’s Clubs have it in large containers for cheap, I think about $7.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Thanks..i will try that next week on my day off.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Zatarans is the best, been using it for years. Most Sam’s Clubs have it in large containers for cheap, I think about $7.

Seems to have missed my radar here at the home front!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

I was in woodbury and looked for it at cub foods, Wallmart and sam’s none of them had it

If Sam’s Club has it, it will be with all the other seasonings. The only Sam’s that I have found it at was in Wausau. Eau Claire does not have it, I did talk to the manager and requested that they stock it, we will see if that happens.

This is the large one from Sam’s, it’s 5.75 lbs.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Dip zucchini slices in a mix of 1 egg and 1 cup of milk then drudged through the Zatarains and deep fried. That was also very good!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.