north lake dead northerns

• walleye_slayer
    cannon falls, mn

i was on north lake today fishing and as i was driving around i noticed a bunch of white all around the shore. so i drove up to it to see what it was and it was a dead northern. i started looking around and they where dead allover the place. does any body now why this is happening?

taz
    Frederic wi

I think it is due to the fast clime in the water temp. I was on a lake last night and the temp was 90 and a week ago it was 76-78

walleye_slayer
    cannon falls, mn

that could be because there was a lot of dead northerns and they are shallow so the heat would get to them faster

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Hmm not sure about the climb in temp. They can acclimate just fine. More than likely less oxygen in the water, or bad handling from being caught. Just doubt its the water temps…

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Actually, pike are the most sensitive to hot temps. Not sure if the problem is temp or lower oxy content, but they are the canaries.

This is happening on the east side of Wisconsin in spades as we talk.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

warmer water holds less dissolved oxygen. Water warmed up pretty quick and they got caught in the shallows with not enough to breathe.

josh a

Quote:

Hmm not sure about the climb in temp. They can acclimate just fine. More than likely less oxygen in the water, or bad handling from being caught. Just doubt its the water temps…

I would disagree that pike can acclimate just fine to warm water. Pike love cool water. With water temps reaching the upper 80’s there is sure to be several lakes with large numbers of pike floating on them. Warm water dissolves less oxygen than cool water and creates a lot of competition among bacteria and fish for the oxygen in the water. pike are quite often the losers.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I heard Brian went skinny dipping there recently. Connection?

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

Lots of big dead pike in the Wisconsin River/Lake Wisconsin today as well. My “armchair biologist” opinion is that because large pike favor cool water – the combination of 88 degree surface temps and virtually no rain in over a month – their is little or no dissolved oxygen in the depths where the cooler temps they require can be found.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.