Parise Watch – Day 3, NHL Held Hostage

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I didn’t think we would land him, but the longer it goes on, the better our chances I feel. He’s used words like talking to his family and long term commitment. To me, if playing in his home state means anything, a long term contract weighs heavy on his mind, especially if Chuck is the highest bidder. Chuck just better be a damn good salesman pitching his prospects, because we obviously don’t have the reputation or skill level now as teams we are up against.

The word is he is leaving Toronto for Minnesota today. Hopefully he will not have made a decision before getting on that plane. In Toronto, he could announce any team in front of the press. But there is a possibility that getting on that plane is a sign, so to speak.

I am still not saying that he will sign here, but these things at least could be indicating that the Wild have a good shot.

And if he comes here, it could be that Suter will follow. Suter appears to want to see what happens with Zach first. He shouldn’t care, because they don’t play the same position, so that too could be a sign that whoever signs Parise gets put at the top of the list for Suter.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I was listening to Lou Nanne on KFAN yesterday and he believes it’s a done deal. He made a very good point. Would he fly back to Minnesota to announce he is signing with Pittsburgh? Like you said though, I hope he doesn’t drop the bomb before hopping on the plane.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Quote:

I was listening to Lou Nanne on KFAN yesterday and he believes it’s a done deal. He made a very good point. Would he fly back to Minnesota to announce he is signing with Pittsburgh? Like you said though, I hope he doesn’t drop the bomb before hopping on the plane.

I listened to that too. Louie knows a lot about the inside dealings of the NHL, so when he says he thinks the guy is signing with the WIld, I believe him.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m not going to get my hopes up. But it sure would be nice to have a major sports team that do not wear sports bras being relevant again.

I also think if we are indeed the highest bidder and he looks at the overall picture, coming to Minnesota would be a great decision. He might be able to get more endorsement deals here. If he plans on living here afterward, 10 years gives him time to set up a business. Just look at Mauer.

He might get immediate success in another market, but even being along Crosby doesn’t guarantee you a cup. Look at what happened last year. And Crosby could be out of hockey with one good blow.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

And Crosby could be out of hockey with one good blow.

This was also mentioned by Lou. If Sid goes down, the team is in tough shape. With the Malkin and Fleury contracts the team will be very top heavy and will crumble within a few years.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I’m predicting he signs today and then celbrates on Lake Minnetonka tomorrow.

Parise and Suter have been dominating the MN hockey talk, but the player I’m watching is Bjugstad. I really would like to see him come back to the Gophers for another season.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Does this mean we’re building another stadium????

Al

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

You obviously havent seen the excel center…

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Quote:

I really would like to see him come back to the Gophers for another season.

You and ever other Gopher fan.

Quote:

Does this mean we’re building another stadium?

Might be, although hockey teams play in an arena.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

A good Wild hockey team, would be fun to watch.

The last game I ever went to was when Jauqes was still there running the trap. Boring!!!

I like scoring,nothing will ever top the Wayne Gretzky era IMHO.

Quote:

the player I’m watching is Bjugstad. I really would like to see him come back to the Gophers for another season.

With the uncertainty of a lockout looming next season, it sounds like he’s leaning towards coming back for one more year.

I sure hope he does, as he’s a fun player to watch!

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Quote:

You obviously havent seen the excel center…

Ya I have, but I just couldn’t resist..

Al

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I like scoring,nothing will ever top the Wayne Gretzky era IMHO.

Watching old games is so weird. The game was much slower. Tying up the puck along the boards was actually a strategy to get a whistle. And goalies wore equipment that actually fit them. I’d almost rather watch an old rerun of a game from that era than now. They made so many changes since that every other player has a concussion and the goalies might as well be those boards you put up in the net to practice on.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Would I like it happen? Hell yes. Is it going to happen? I’d have to say sadly not.

He’s using time to his advantage and as leverage. My guess is that he’s going to sign back with the Devils and this whole free agency magical mystery tour is just about putting the screws to NJ to extract every dime.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

NJ doesn’t have a lot of dime to give. They are a troubled franchise and he’d be foolish to sign with them. And there is no way that team will be back playing for the cup anytime soon.

Which probably means he does sign with them and he wins the Stanley Cup next year.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

Would I like it happen? Hell yes. Is it going to happen? I’d have to say sadly not.

He’s using time to his advantage and as leverage. My guess is that he’s going to sign back with the Devils and this whole free agency magical mystery tour is just about putting the screws to NJ to extract every dime.

Grouse

The Wild have made it clear that if he wants the most money they are willing to pay whatever it takes. If he wants to win a Cup, there are many options before the Wild.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

I think it’d be great for Parise to join the Wild…and Suter too but Im not going to hold my breath. The thing that has stuck with me is that at 11:05 Sunday morning the Wild announced that they had made offers to both players. To me that kinda says their offers arent going to be competitive so they atleast wanted to toss the fans a bone… Hope im wrong. Go Wild!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I think it’d be great for Parise to join the Wild…and Suter too but Im not going to hold my breath. The thing that has stuck with me is that at 11:05 Sunday morning the Wild announced that they had made offers to both players. To me that kinda says their offers arent going to be competitive so they atleast wanted to toss the fans a bone… Hope im wrong. Go Wild!

I’d be very surprised if they didn’t have the top offer. That will all come out when this is over. Why would Fletch make everyone aware he was going to do that if he wasn’t and it would come out.

I am pretty sure there were no final offers from any team. Of course him and his agent are going to leverage offers against each other.

He could play for an apparent contender now, but like I said, nothing is guaranteed. And he is going to be locked in for the next 10 years at least. Of course it is an easier sell to say we are contenders today and will always be contenders if you are a Detroit, Philly or Pitt, but that still is no guarantee.

The tough sell for Fletch was to say we have prospects and have made decisions that will make us contenders going forward. We either have to wait a year or two or you (Parise) join us and make us instant contenders.

One thing that concerns me is that Parise is a true leader and we have a Fin who is only happy when this is HIS team.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Are the wild truly just one player short of becoming a contender?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Quote:

They were in first place a couple months into the season before injuries and the wheels fell off the wagon.

Parise alone could help them make the playoffs, but if they can add a couple more they could go farther next year.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Not exactly. There are some big ifs involved, just like there are with other teams. But we will see the edition of Granlund, Buchard and any other Free Agents we may sign.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

Not Hardly and as much as I want Parise or Suter even more I feel he’s a bit over rated to be honest. We are light years and minor miracles away from pugs hopes and dreams being realized.
    And to even put the Wild or North Stars in the same breath as the Vikings or Twins is ludicrous to say the least!

Go Wild!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My neighbor starts working for the Wild next week. He keeps saying if Parise signs, his sales goals will go up drastically. You know I don’t know jack about hockey, so I am genuinely wondering if one player can have such a great impact on a team.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The local boy Parise will have just as much influence on an organization aka sell tickets as Joe Mauer. If he signs here, I would be that Suter is coming with him, they can build off these 2 guys IF they stay healthy for a long time, like the next 10 years.

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

Although I wanna see it I dont think he’s gonna sign here. I think he would have announced it. I bet he goes to pitsburg. Big mistake in my opinion for reasons others have stated. Suter however may still come. We are the only team that can afford both suter and parise. i dont think suter is waiting for parise to make a decision cause no other team in the hunt can afford both so if hes moving his best bet is to sign before parise if he has a team in mind.
    Talk about highs and lows. Ive been to both edges and back in just a few days

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

GOOGLE IS NOW CLAIMING PARISE TO WILD!!!!!!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Suters agent says his decision comes today. My guess is Parise’s will follow soon after, especially if they are going to the same team.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

That is great news!!! I cant believe that I saw it here first, ESPN 2nd and the NHL network is still airing reruns and hasnt said a word about it!? Good reporting guys

Its a great day to be a Wild fan

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.