Trolling motor/Battery question

• das_bass
    Mound, MN

My current trolling motor does a decent job of moving my boat around, but I seem to run out of juice towards the end of the day a lot, requireing me to switch to a different battery. Is there any reason I can’t connect the two batterys in parrellel for using and charging the batteries. I also don’t have a bank charger in the boat, just use my old portable charger and move it between batteries.

BBKK
    IA

Sure, just make sure you have them connected the correct way.

If you have time, I would charge them individually though.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Along with B BK the weaker battery will pull down the better battery. If they are the same condition and vintage hooking in parallel will work good but will also take longer to charge both together.

red89
    Hudson

Maybe you could just get a larger battery. I run a ?group? 27 fleet farm battery on a 12v 55lb. thrust minn kota and it does pretty well.

shockers
    Rochester

I agree on the trying a bigger battery size. I have 2 Group 29s on my 16 foot tiller. More than I need, but never an issue of running out of juice.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Get the Cabelas AGM Group 30 or 31…..1525 cca, just an awesome battery.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Quote:

My current trolling motor does a decent job of moving my boat around, but I seem to run out of juice towards the end of the day a lot, requireing me to switch to a different battery. Is there any reason I can’t connect the two batterys in parrellel for using and charging the batteries. I also don’t have a bank charger in the boat, just use my old portable charger and move it between batteries.

Connect the two batteries pos-pos and neg-neg, connect the trolling motor pos/neg to the same battery. You will need to charge each battery individualy to maintian a good charge. Group 27’s should be plenty good, unless you are fighting current all day or the boat is too big for a 12 volt motor.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.